If Ono and AE... | The Boneyard

If Ono and AE...

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Yes, and unlike UConn, both Stanford and South Carolina (and reportedly even Arizona) go more than two deep in their corps of bigs. That makes it even more important that both Liv and Aaliyah avoid unnecessary fouls, which neither of them really did against Baylor.

It was impressive that Aaliyah was able to stay at 2 fouls for most of the second half, until very late in the game. However, at the end, both she and Liv had 4 fouls, which means that if the ref had made THAT call, one of them would have fouled out. If Carrington had then made 1 of her 2 free throws, sending the game into overtime, the overtime period would have had to be played with UConn having only one big on the floor.

Reaction Score
After beating Baylor. I fear Facing a team like South Carolina. Fearful of retribution of officials based on public outcry. That's assuming we get that far.

Just happy Liv finally has a capable sidekick down low to help alleviate the pressures of dealing with multiple bigs. Controlling the paint, backside help and Rebounding was to much to ask for one person. The future only gets brighter for us with addition of a few recruits in the post.

Reaction Score
Yes, and unlike UConn, both Stanford and South Carolina (and reportedly even Arizona) go more than two deep in their corps of bigs. That makes it even more important that both Liv and Aaliyah avoid unnecessary fouls, which neither of them really did against Baylor.

It was impressive that Aaliyah was able to stay at 2 fouls for most of the second half, until very late in the game. However, at the end, both she and Liv had 4 fouls, which means that if the ref had made THAT call, one of them would have fouled out. If Carrington had then made 1 of her 2 free throws, sending the game into overtime, the overtime period would have had to be played with UConn having only one big on the floor.
And the fear of foul trouble for both is one of the reasons Auriemma has been reluctant to commit to playing both of them together iMO.
Ono and Edwards both played big by and large but the rebounding Williams and Westbrook did was huge. Also don’t be deceived by the lack of points from the bigs, they only took a combined 8 shots; unusually for Uconn, two players, Bueckers and Williams, took exactly 2/3 of the shots, 40 of 60. Also unusual, neither had an assist. They both hunted shots and did it very well. Finally, a great contribution from Williams.

Reaction Score
Stay out of foul trouble...we cut down the nets! Now that CW has become what we all had hoped for, this team will win if the bigs can stay on the floor period!
Also keep in mind that Liv is playing tough as nails now. She seems to take it personally when somebody tries to post her up or take a rebound away. She is playing with an edge to her. Same with CW!

In addition, except for the one silly foul, Liv is playing smarter than she ever has. I used to worry about her getting into major foul trouble...not so much now. Something has gotten into her and CW over the last 3 weeks or so. They have fire in their bellies!

I use to think they were a bit soft at times, but not now!

Reaction Score
I believe in both of them. There is nothing wrong with playing tough defense and picking up fouls. The “What The Heck” fouls are the head scratchers.

Reaction Score
And the fear of foul trouble for both is one of the reasons Auriemma has been reluctant to commit to playing both of them together iMO.
Ono and Edwards both played big by and large but the rebounding Williams and Westbrook did was huge. Also don’t be deceived by the lack of points from the bigs, they only took a combined 8 shots; unusually for Uconn, two players, Bueckers and Williams, took exactly 2/3 of the shots, 40 of 60. Also unusual, neither had an assist. They both hunted shots and did it very well. Finally, a great contribution from Williams.
Hard for post players
Of course AG is included. I am one of those proponents on this board. I didn't add her just because I was talking bigger physical presence in stature with Liv and Aliyah.
AG athleticism belongs on the court.

Reaction Score
Aubrey needs to improve her shot before next year. As I've said before, Kelly Faris realized that when she was on the floor it was 4 on 5. That's why she practiced to help, not hurt, the team.

Reaction Score

If my aunt had....

Reaction Score
Aubrey needs to improve her shot before next year. As I've said before, Kelly Faris realized that when she was on the floor it was 4 on 5. That's why she practiced to help, not hurt, the team.
she battled like a true warrior last night!

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
After beating Baylor. I fear Facing a team like South Carolina. Fearful of retribution of officials based on public outcry. That's assuming we get that far.

Just happy Liv finally has a capable sidekick down low to help alleviate the pressures of dealing with multiple bigs. Controlling the paint, backside help and Rebounding was to much to ask for one person. The future only gets brighter for us with addition of a few recruits in the post.
Glad you posted this. In my view, Liv has been on the receiving end of more criticism in her career than has been warranted.

Reaction Score
I was heartened that Aubrey made a mid range shot during that game. She didn't force a 3, she came inside the line a few feet caught the ball and drained the shot. As a front court player, a mid range to long two reliably will do just as good to stretch defenses and open things up for everyone else.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom