If Notre Dame to the Big 12 | The Boneyard

If Notre Dame to the Big 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fortebleedsblue

How does that exactly solidify Uconn and RU to the ACC? Academically we are both far superior to USF and UL so I do agree that UConn and Rutgers would be the best fit academically. However, why are so many people on here assuming the ACC will add another team? Perhaps the ACC does what the big 12 does and stays happy with what they have. I am not saying it won't happen, though I have my doubts, I am asking those who know better on this board what is the financial/other types of benefits gained by adding Uconn and RU?

The ones I can think of off hand are the obvious:

1.) Would allow for two 8 team divisions, better format for a championship game

2.) ACC would become the bball conference over Big East by adding Uconn along with Pitt and Cuse in league

3.) I guess adding bball and soccer power houses to the mix doesnt hurt an athletically diverse league (kind of a stretch in the big picture though)

It all comes down to $$ IMO. Someone explain to me why the ACC wouldn't just stay put at 14 regardless of if ND goes to Big 12 for all non football sports.

Reaction Score
If ND goes B12, I think that RU, USF and UConn are athletic cast-off for a long time.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Notre Dame may be our best friend right now. If ND goes to the Big 12 or Big 10, pressure builds on either league to add UConn/Rutgers to get ND an eastern presence. If ND goes to the ACC, UConn may be tagging along.

Reaction Score
The ACC needs more northeast presence to make the fans buy in. A northern division of the ACC will create rivalries and build the brand. As set up, the ACC teams in the north will struggle just like BC. Northeasterners don't care about the ACC at all. With any combination of UConn, ND and RU they saturate and own the market. It will also protect them against an SEC raid. UConn is going to the ACC within the year, if not before Christmas.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The ACC needs more northeast presence to make the fans buy in. A northern division of the ACC will create rivalries and build the brand. As set up, the ACC teams in the north will struggle just like BC. Northeasterners don't care about the ACC at all. With any combination of UConn, ND and RU they saturate and own the market. It will also protect them against an SEC raid. UConn is going to the ACC within the year, if not before Christmas.

I think the ACC will always look at UConn/Rutgers as a free option they can add anytime they want. As I have always said, UConn/Rutgers has to figure out a way to make the ACC move. ND to the Big 12 may be just that mechanism.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Notre Dame may be our best friend right now. If ND goes to the Big 12 or Big 10, pressure builds on either league to add UConn/Rutgers to get ND an eastern presence. If ND goes to the ACC, UConn may be tagging along.
As I've said from the start, like it or not our fate is tied to ND. That continues to be the case.

And as much as we definitely need ND more than they need us, I do think that ND likes the idea of keeping UConn with it wherever it goes. Football is obviously driving the bus, but our hoops programs mean something to ND, and I think they'd like to keep that if possible.

Reaction Score
I think the ACC will always look at UConn/Rutgers as a free option they can add anytime they want. As I have always said, UConn/Rutgers has to figure out a way to make the ACC move. ND to the Big 12 may be just that mechanism.

Agreed. I have also wondered if the ACC adds UConn and sits, will the final spot push ND a little? Maybe add UConn and tell ND, "you have 90 days to make a deal with us, or we invite Rutgers." If ND really wants to be on the east coast, they will take it. If they know the B10 is the only conference they'll ever join, they won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom