If Not For Chattanooga's Coach This Forum Would Not... | The Boneyard

If Not For Chattanooga's Coach This Forum Would Not...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Exist!

Why, because it was Chattanooga coach Jim Foster, then at St. Josephs's High School in Philadelphia, who extended an invitation to a 24 year old Luigi Auriemma to join his staff coaching girl's basketball, something the young Luigi had never even considered.

The rest, as they say, is history.

upload_2016-11-29_13-36-31.png

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Exist!

Why, because it was Chattanooga coach Jim Foster, then at St. Josephs's High School in Philadelphia, who extended an invitation to a 24 year old Luigi Auriemma to join his staff coaching girl's basketball, something the young Luigi had never even considered.

Can I get an AMEN!!!!

Reaction Score
...then at St. Josephs's High School in Philadelphia...
Correction - it was St. Josephs's the college in Phily, not high school. It would have been fairly difficult to coach the girl's basketball team at St. Joseph's, since it's an all boys high school. Not sure why, but I always thought Geno started out coaching high school.

Reaction Score
And doesn't Forster have one of the better records against Luigi Auriemma, something like having won 3 out of 7?

Reaction Score
You're right. Bishop Kenrick high school boys JV team.
Thanks JoePa. Wait a minute...I thought you were dead. :eek: :rolleyes:

I just found this on a Mocs WBB forum site: "Chattanooga coach Jim Foster was a high school coach when he met Auriemma, then a college student. They were playing pickup basketball together and Foster lured Auriemma into a coaching career. Auriemma followed Foster from high school coaching to St. Joseph's and eventually became an assistant at Virginia, setting the stage for his move to Connecticut. The rest is history, but it's worth remembering Foster's role in starting one of the great careers in college coaching history."

Reaction Score
BTW, because of this special bond they have, I suspect that Geno will "call off the dogs" early tonight...especially sine we beat them by forty something last year. Maybe lots of time from TLaw and the Frosh tonight.

Reaction Score
Correction - it was St. Josephs's the college in Phily, not high school. It would have been fairly difficult to coach the girl's basketball team at St. Joseph's, since it's an all boys high school. Not sure why, but I always thought Geno started out coaching high school.
He did start out in HS at Bishop McDevitt in Wyncote PA coaching girls. Bishop Kenrick was AFTER St. Joe's.

Reaction Score
Exist!

Jim Foster was a good and generous man to offer that job to GENO. Geno never forget those that stood by him
(I suppose he doesn't forget the other stuff either). Geno has offered to play jim Foster no matter who he was coaching.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
So, let me get this straight. You bunch of cool-aid slurping sycophants actually believe that Mr. Auriemma actually had anything to do with UConn's basketball success? How absurd.

Disclaimer: I am working on creating my own universe, one complete with my own reality as opined for myself. It's all about me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom