If Navy is being considered for the ACC, signs point to UConn to the Big 10 | The Boneyard

If Navy is being considered for the ACC, signs point to UConn to the Big 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Navy due to structural limitations that will never be eliminated, Navy cannot compete in FBS football, nor Division I basketball.

Nor can it compete in the other olympic sports, nor will it ever able to. No amount of money, facility improvement, etc. will help in that regard. There is a reason why Navy has its olympic sports in the Patriot League.

The ACC is short one member, currently at 13. If Navy comes in as football only (which due to competitiveness they would have to), the perception of the ACC, as bad as it is now, will be magnified ten fold. If it comes in for all sports, the midshipman will be humiliated time after time on the court.

If the ACC is contemplating adding Navy, then the ACC must know that there is a good chance that UConn is off the board. And there is only one other place for UConn, and that is the Big 10.

There has not been one mention of "ACC" from any UConn administrator, including President Herbst and Warde Manuel (compare with Ramsey, Jurich and Pitino).

UConn's endgame isn't the ACC, it is the Big 10.

Reaction Score
Perhaps Navy is being looked at in a multi-team expansion. Also, perhaps Navy being looked at is complete and utter bullshit. We don't know what's true and not true.

Reaction Score
Let's stop glorifying things here - UConn's end game is to get the **** outta the Big East.
This. It's really the bottom line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
No offense, Rum. But do we need two Navy Threads? You bring up good points though.

Reaction Score
To get from "the ACC is considering Navy" to "UConn must be going to the Big 10," you have to use some twisted logic. Reminds me of this:
"If she weighs the same as a duck . . . she's made of wood."
"And therefore . . ."
"A witch!"

Reaction Score
In what passes for journalism in this day and age, a "?" would be redundant.

The Navy rumor popped up from David Glenn, a guy that runs an ACC blog. Now I'm not saying that David Glenn is incorrect with Navy being floated out there. However, the same David Glenn that interviewed Tom O'Brien one week ago missed that Tom O'Brien would be unemployed within one week.

Not every journalist is good, and not every rational idea is bad. In any event, I heard that HuskyFanDan and the Guy of Connecticut supposedly are saying the same thing.

A "?" Seems to be in order here.

Reaction Score
That's the optimistic way to look at it. The pessimistic way is that, without harming their academic reputation, taking Navy lets them combine Navy with Notre Dame (Navy plays only football, Notre Dame plays everything else) and have the equivalent of one full member (which, with MD gone, leaves them with 12 in football and 12 in everything else and no need to look at us or anyone else). And eliminates ND being an odd number in hoops to have an even number in football.

But the key in this thread is we still don't know anything.

Reaction Score
To get from "the ACC is considering Navy" to "UConn must be going to the Big 10," you have to use some twisted logic. Reminds me of this:
"And therefore . . ."
"A witch!"

"She turned me into a newt."
[silence]
"It got better.:

Reaction Score
Totally fair, Zoo. I just don't like frankthetank. He's a reactor, not a person with any sources. A baby step up from the dude and mhver3.

No offense, Rum. But do we need two Navy Threads? You bring up good points though.

Reaction Score
That's the optimistic way to look at it. The pessimistic way is that, without harming their academic reputation, taking Navy lets them combine Navy with Notre Dame (Navy plays only football, Notre Dame plays everything else) and have the equivalent of one full member (which, with MD gone, leaves them with 12 in football and 12 in everything else and no need to look at us or anyone else). And eliminates ND being an odd number in hoops to have an even number in football.

If Navy is a valid substitute for Maryland then the ACC is not worried about FSU and Clemson leaving, and therefore they shouldn't be all that up in arms about UConn.

Sometimes decision makers like to have three options to choose from. There usually is the best option, a good option and a throwaway. Navy is respectable but it would be the throwaway option imo.

Reaction Score
Totally fair, Zoo. I just don't like frankthetank. He's a reactor, not a person with any sources. A baby step up from the dude and mhver3.

I like the fact that he doesn't react to people with no connections or sources.

Reaction Score

The real reason I don't want two Navy threads is that it gets cumbersome on an iPad. I'm just lazy in that regard.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Bingo. This could be our ticket to CUSA/NNBE. They need schedule balancing, and this does it while adding a marquee name, with a good TV market, great academics. It also keeps ND on the hook, since ND always plays Navy. They listed it as thier most important rivalry.

Reaction Score
David Teel just tweeted that the NAVY thing is not happening. That's good enough for me.

Reaction Score
FWIW: Navy would probably bring its lacrosse team to the ACC as it's very competative in that sport & the ACC will have the premier lacrosse league in the country with the additions of ND &Syracuse.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Navy due to structural limitations that will never be eliminated, Navy cannot compete in FBS football, nor Division I basketball.

Nor can it compete in the other olympic sports, nor will it ever able to. No amount of money, facility improvement, etc. will help in that regard. There is a reason why Navy has its olympic sports in the Patriot League.

The ACC is short one member, currently at 13. If Navy comes in as football only (which due to competitiveness they would have to), the perception of the ACC, as bad as it is now, will be magnified ten fold. If it comes in for all sports, the midshipman will be humiliated time after time on the court.

If the ACC is contemplating adding Navy, then the ACC must know that there is a good chance that UConn is off the board. And there is only one other place for UConn, and that is the Big 10.

There has not been one mention of "ACC" from any UConn administrator, including President Herbst and Warde Manuel (compare with Ramsey, Jurich and Pitino).

UConn's endgame isn't the ACC, it is the Big 10.

If only liking this post enough times would make it come true. Like in Peter Pan.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
"And therefore . . ."
"A witch!"
One of my all time fav movies!

Reaction Score
That's the optimistic way to look at it. The pessimistic way is that, without harming their academic reputation, taking Navy lets them combine Navy with Notre Dame (Navy plays only football, Notre Dame plays everything else) and have the equivalent of one full member (which, with MD gone, leaves them with 12 in football and 12 in everything else and no need to look at us or anyone else).

This is the only explanation that makes any sense.
(Though I think you mean 14 instead of 12 above.)

Reaction Score
This is the only explanation that makes any sense.
(Though I think you mean 14 instead of 12 above.)

I forgot to add Pitt and Syracuse. But that's not really a mistake, because it's not like either of them really plays football.

Reaction Score
If Navy is a valid substitute for Maryland then the ACC is not worried about FSU and Clemson leaving, and therefore they shouldn't be all that up in arms about UConn.

I dunno, have you been reading the FB board? There have been many posts that believe Navy is a great addition, as it attracts TV and bowls.

Reaction Score
I dunno, have you been reading the FB board? There have been many posts that believe Navy is a great addition, as it attracts TV and bowls.

It's not happening anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104