If it is bad, say it is bad! | The Boneyard

If it is bad, say it is bad!

Reaction Score
I watched the ESPN analysts discuss the big TX A&M comeback over Penn. Now I do like Rebecca Lobo and Andy Landers a lot, and I respect their excellent knowledge of the game. But all they could do was praise the great comeback, the skills of A&M and their "maestro" Gary Blair. No doubt that A&M really turned up the pressure and executed the press, made steals, rebounds and shots. Credit was due to them. But can't somebody tell it like it is? Can't they say Penn played really badly and blew the game? This isn't some grade school level where everybody gets a trophy so nobody feels sad.
Over the last eight minutes of the game, Penn committed seven fouls, committed seven turnovers, and missed every one of their ten field goal attempts, including four attempted layups. ALL of their fouls were shooting fouls, resulting in twelve A&M points. No reason to foul when you have the big lead in the 4th quarter. Poor decisions and poor coaching. You have got to be able to beat the full-court press. You should not be taking 3-pointers (they missed four) and you can't miss lay-ups (they missed four).
The point is Penn flat-out played badly and blew the game. That is a big part of the story, and ESPN should say so.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I watched the ESPN analysts discuss the big TX A&M comeback over Penn. Now I do like Rebecca Lobo and Andy Landers a lot, and I respect their excellent knowledge of the game. But all they could do was praise the great comeback, the skills of A&M and their "maestro" Gary Blair. No doubt that A&M really turned up the pressure and executed the press, made steals, rebounds and shots. Credit was due to them. But can't somebody tell it like it is? Can't they say Penn played really badly and blew the game? This isn't some grade school level where everybody gets a trophy so nobody feels sad.
Over the last eight minutes of the game, Penn committed seven fouls, committed seven turnovers, and missed every one of their ten field goal attempts, including four attempted layups. ALL of their fouls were shooting fouls, resulting in twelve A&M points. No reason to foul when you have the big lead in the 4th quarter. Poor decisions and poor coaching. You have got to be able to beat the full-court press. You should not be taking 3-pointers (they missed four) and you can't miss lay-ups (they missed four).
The point is Penn flat-out played badly and blew the game. That is a big part of the story, and ESPN should say so.
But it is nicer to celebrate a great comeback win, than trash a bunch of college kids and their coach for a choke job. Generally you see that in all sports - sure Atlanta got some heat, but most of the press was on TB12 and the Patriots for a great comeback - and they are millionaires and pro players, not amateurs still in college.

Reaction Score
I think you are both right. It was a great comeback, and the situation became too BIG for Penn to handle. Words like "Choke", and "Bad" cant be used anymore in our PC world.
Going back to my "Safe" space now

Reaction Score
Sorry, but words like "choke" were used by the color commentator doing the game. She (was it Sue Bird?) specifically said the Penn choked. She said the last several minutes were terrible and that Penn could not answer what TAM threw at them. She was blunt and honest and all the things you could want. You're right about Lobo and Landers, and the job of the in-studio people often seems to be to put a nice shine on whatever happened, but give the game annoujncers credit. They were there and they called it correctly.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Sorry, but words like "choke" were used by the color commentator doing the game. She (was it Sue Bird?) specifically said the Penn choked. She said the last several minutes were terrible and that Penn could not answer what TAM threw at them. She was blunt and honest and all the things you could want. You're right about Lobo and Landers, and the job of the in-studio people often seems to be to put a nice shine on whatever happened, but give the game annoujncers credit. They were there and they called it correctly.
It was Julianne Viani, former star at Marist. I agree that she called it as she saw it.

By the way, she's said some really nice things about UConn this year. In the game last night she said she didn't think anybody was going to beat them, though Baylor and Notre Dame could.

Reaction Score
Enjoy Lobo's knowledge and energy, but Andy at times seems like he just woke up from a nap. He may have great info to convey but he is so low key that I often find I tune him out.

Reaction Score
It was Julianne Viani, former star at Marist. I agree that she called it as she saw it.

By the way, she's said some really nice things about UConn this year. In the game last night she said she didn't think anybody was going to beat them, though Baylor and Notre Dame could.
I like Julianne ! She is knowledgeable about the game , and she calls it, the way she sees it. I find it refreshing. I also enjoyed Andy's humorous rebuttal to Rebecca last night at about 6: 20 pm. Rebecca was starting to rave about the syracuse backcourt when Andy asked , " so you are pickin' them to upset uconn then ? " it was priceless !

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom