If all players were eligible for the WNBA draft tomorrow... | The Boneyard

If all players were eligible for the WNBA draft tomorrow...

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
What would your first round look like? Not taking into consideration specific teams and their needs, my list is:

1. Sabrina Ionescu, still think she's the premier prospect in WCBB
2. Aliyah Boston, about as studly a freshman as you'll find. Huge upside and is excellent already.
3. Lauren Cox, best defensive center since Griner IMO. One of the more unique post prospects we've seen with her passing.
4. Rhyne Howard, one of the best offensive players in the nation. Great athlete and size. Game should translate well in the pros.
5. Satou Sabally, will be incredibly dangerous as a face up forward in the pros. 6-4, great range, good ball handling and a lefty.
6. Jordan Horston, still needs a lot of polishing but her size, athleticism and vision makes her upside unlimited either at the PG or off guard.
7. Nalyssa Smith, projects well as a slashing forward in the pros. Has a knack for hitting tough shots and is active on the glass. Pretty shot too that will improve with time.
8. Christyn Williams, big guard with great athleticism and a knack for scoring. Can be a really special player when she hunts shots.
9. Megan Walker, projects to be a strong off guard or SF in the league. Good slasher and shooter.
10. Rickea Jackson, young but another strong wing becoming a go to player. 6-2 with range, could become the player we thought Shekinna Stricklen would develop into as a pro.
11. Haley Jones, another young athletic wing who will develop into a really good player
12. Chennedy Carter, one of the best creators in women's basketball. Incredibly dangerous when she gets hot.

Reaction Score
What would your first round look like? Not taking into consideration specific teams and their needs, my list is:

1. Sabrina Ionescu, still think she's the premier prospect in WCBB
2. Aliyah Boston, about as studly a freshman as you'll find. Huge upside and is excellent already.
3. Lauren Cox, best defensive center since Griner IMO. One of the more unique post prospects we've seen with her passing.
4. Rhyne Howard, one of the best offensive players in the nation. Great athlete and size. Game should translate well in the pros.
5. Satou Sabally, will be incredibly dangerous as a face up forward in the pros. 6-4, great range, good ball handling and a lefty.
6. Jordan Horston, still needs a lot of polishing but her size, athleticism and vision makes her upside unlimited either at the PG or off guard.
7. Nalyssa Smith, projects well as a slashing forward in the pros. Has a knack for hitting tough shots and is active on the glass. Pretty shot too that will improve with time.
8. Christyn Williams, big guard with great athleticism and a knack for scoring. Can be a really special player when she hunts shots.
9. Megan Walker, projects to be a strong off guard or SF in the league. Good slasher and shooter.
10. Rickea Jackson, young but another strong wing becoming a go to player. 6-2 with range, could become the player we thought Shekinna Stricklen would develop into as a pro.
11. Haley Jones, another young athletic wing who will develop into a really good player
12. Chennedy Carter, one of the best creators in women's basketball. Incredibly dangerous when she gets hot.
Not enough (only 3 of 12) West Coast bias for my liking. Very high quality players with lots of potential on your list, many of whom UConn recruited. You may want to consider adding UCLA's Onyenwere to your list. Others come to mind but I am trying to remain objective.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Not enough (only 3 of 12) West Coast bias for my liking. Very high quality players with lots of potential on your list, many of whom UConn recruited. You may want to consider adding UCLA's Onyenwere to your list. Others come to mind but I am trying to remain objective.

Onyenwere was on my just missed but think she's undersized to play to 3 in the W at just 5-11. If she was 6-1 or 6-2 I think she'd be better prospect. Feel free to chime in with your own list!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Onyenwere was on my just missed but think she's undersized to play to 3 in the W at just 5-11. If she was 6-1 or 6-2 I think she'd be better prospect. Feel free to chime in with your own list!
Agreed about Onyenwere. Very tough for a forward her size at the next level. We've already seen that Gabby is having to transition back to playing guard. The athletic advantages that set her apart at the college level aren't enough against the WNBA front-court players.

Onyenwere will certainly prosper overseas, but imo will probably need to transition to playing more on the wing in order to thrive in the W.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agreed about Onyenwere. Very tough for a forward her size at the next level. We've already seen that Gabby is having to transition back to playing guard. The athletic advantages that set her apart at the college level aren't enough against the WNBA front-court players.

Onyenwere will certainly prosper overseas, but imo will probably need to transition to playing more on the wing in order to thrive in the W.
Onyenwere has already started to move her game towards the perimeter. She has been taking and hitting 3's this year, and she has a nice fadeaway mid range jumper. I can see her playing the 2 or 3 and dominating them in the paint. Her perimeter defense will have to improve, because she guards bigs

Reaction Score

I agree with the concerns expressed above about the 6'0" Onyenwere. She will have to play the wing in the WNBA. She simply gets it done against taller athletes. Two of UConn's greatest all-time players measured in at 6'0", but were great all-around players who could shoot at a very high level. Onyenwere can't match their shooting, ballhandling, or passing, but she does things at her size that 6'3" athletes can't do consistently in and around the paint. I think her game will transfer better in the WNBA than some might currently think.

Continue to keep an eye (and open mind) on her as the season progresses. She is extremely productive and her efficiency has improved following her international 3v3 and Pan An Games experience this summer for the US.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I agree with the concerns expressed above about the 6'0" Onyenwere. She will have to play the wing in the WNBA. She simply gets it done against taller athletes. Two of UConn's greatest all-time players measured in at 6'0", but were great all-around players who could shoot at a very high level. Onyenwere can't match their shooting, ballhandling, or passing, but she does things at her size that 6'3" athletes can't do consistently in and around the paint. I think her game will transfer better in the WNBA than some might currently think.

Continue to keep an eye (and open mind) on her as the season progresses. She is extremely productive and her efficiency has improved following her international 3v3 and Pan An Games experience this summer for the US.

I mean she's good but she's a far cry from Maya Moore. And DT was always a perimeter player, where Onyenwere is more of a frontcourt player expanding her game to the perimeter now.

I think she'll be a solid pro since she attacks the basket well and is expanding her range. I'm just not sold on her being one of the nation's top 12 prospects if the draft was tomorrow.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom