If a Tree falls in the forest . . . | The Boneyard

If a Tree falls in the forest . . .

Reaction Score
If the different polls start converging, you would have to place Utah above Stanford. Let’s see what the polls come up with. Stanford also had a double overtime win. So close win and a loss.

Reaction Score
Man, can’t remember the last time Stanford had a week like this. Counting the double-OT against Colorado, that’s three losses.

Reaction Score
I mean now that I switched to spectrum I get all the pac 12 networks basically so it's pretty cool, but to watch a ranked matchup for 2 ACC teams they put it on ACCx which I have no idea what that channel is.

Reaction Score
We're counting OT wins as losses now? So there went South Carolina's perfect season. Oops.
some ppl don't realize how hard it is to win at altitude, luckily my USC trojans saved their season sweeping the Mountain schools.

Reaction Score
some ppl don't realize how hard it is to win at altitude, luckily my USC trojans saved their season sweeping the Mountain schools.
Uhhh not quite. USC lost at Utah 83-73. The Trojans did beat Colorado convincingly in Boulder 71-54.

Reaction Score
I asked about altitude in the PAC 12 thread and the few people who responded acted like it wasn’t a big deal - some effect but not much.

Thinking back a half century to my playing days, I remember there were distinct minutes where I had not yet gotten my second wind. It seems to me that visitors at elevation would struggle early in the game to find that second wind. Thus, the home team would have an early advantage,

Reaction Score
We're counting OT wins as losses now? So there went South Carolina's perfect season. Oops.
You are merely revisiting last week when SCar’s OT win was considered a loss by many posters / until Nan shut the thread.

The poster you quoted was possibly pointing to the irony of last week’s arguments - or possibly being absolutely inconsistent with his/her position last week. :confused:

Reaction Score
I live at 7,200 ft above sea level, and I can tell you that the transition from sea level is decisive and takes more than a few hours or days to get over. Your body has to build more red blood cells to accommodate the difference in oxygen content. Fortunately, Colorado is only at 5,300 ft, and Utah is at 4,300 ft, so not quite as extreme a difference.

Reaction Score
With the win yesterday, Utah claims co champion of PAC12 for regular season. They likely slide one spot ahead of Stanford for the time being, final seedings to be determined after conf championship. Indiana fans loving the outcome yesterday, they prefer Utah over Stanford as their fellow bracket #1 opponent, and I agree with their sentiment there. Will be interesting to see if UCONN finds a way for the last 1 spot if they sweep from here and someone falters.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Years ago I was at a conference in Denver, and I was all proud of myself after running 4 miles at lunch time. That evening, a buddy who lived there took me hiking up to a glacier at something above 12000 feet. I was huffin’ and puffin’, and no longer crowing about my superior lung power.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I live at 7,200 ft above sea level, and I can tell you that the transition from sea level is decisive and takes more than a few hours or days to get over. Your body has to build more red blood cells to accommodate the difference in oxygen content. Fortunately, Colorado is only at 5,300 ft, and Utah is at 4,300 ft, so not quite as extreme a difference.
Yeah, altitude is no joke. I grew up playing tennis at 4000 feet and the ball flies much faster/arcs higher at high altitude (topspin shots in particular), so I could always get away with hitting a little flatter than I could at sea level. And my first match back after a few weeks of travel at sea level would gas me so much faster.

Boulder and Salt Lake are even higher, so I'd imagine the effect is even worse. Without at least 2-3 days to acclimate, there's inevitably going to be a reduction in max V02.

Look no further:

Upon arrival at altitude, one's aerobic capacity (V∙O2max) is reduced by about 12 to 16 percent
Not an excuse for why a team with 9 A-As couldn't/shouldn't eke out a win (I blame excellent play from Pili and Kneepkins and questionable calling from the refs for that), but it's not nothing.

Reaction Score
Yeah, altitude is no joke. I grew up playing tennis at 4000 feet and the ball flies much faster/arcs higher at high altitude (topspin shots in particular), so I could always get away with hitting a little flatter than I could at sea level. And my first match back after a few weeks of travel at sea level would gas me so much faster.

Boulder and Salt Lake are even higher, so I'd imagine the effect is even worse. Without at least 2-3 days to acclimate, there's inevitably going to be a reduction in max V02.

Look no further:

Not an excuse for why a team with 9 A-As couldn't/shouldn't eke out a win (I blame excellent play from Pili and Kneepkins and questionable calling from the refs for that), but it's not nothing.
I'm retired now at 3200FT, (done with serious winter), but lived much of my life at over 8000 including about 15 years at 9300. While I can't address the low-to-high altitude equation, I can relate that the handful of times I had the opportunity to work out at sea level, specifically road cycling, I felt like superman! If there's anything I've learned regarding people's reaction to altitude, it's that there does not seem to be much rhyme or reason to it, including their fitness level. I've never identified an "indicator" that might suggest such. Some suffer, some don't. Now getting a big pot of water to boil, growing a garden, enjoying a warm summer evening outdoors in shirtsleeves..., that's another matter! Personally, I find about 12K to be where I'm suddenly hit with a sack of bricks wrapped around my forehead. Oh, and GO UTES!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Your body has to build more red blood cells to accommodate the difference in oxygen content.
Yes. I alluded to this, not as specifically, in another thread. Someone who has a high level of cardiovascular fitness is going to have a higher red blood cell count than the general population, thus why I suggested the effects of being at altitude should be lessened for a fit athlete.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Okay. I guess that was a "whoosh," I missed the joke. Good teams find ways to win some games they probably shouldn't have, it's what makes them good.

Reaction Score
Brazil players vomited started bleeding when they played a qualifier in Bolivia, I believe that is 8000 feet above sea level

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom