I'd take Shireffs over Mauk or Lock | The Boneyard

I'd take Shireffs over Mauk or Lock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
granted this needs a Disclaimer too

Missouri has a Jr QB who has been acclaimed in Maty Mauk & a fresh kid in Lock who was the buzz at the Elite 11 Quarterback camp the summer before his NLOI. Both would be considered highly desired in the big boy world of the SEC. I'd take Bryant Shireffs today given what I saw yesterday & previous weeks (for Shireffs) & film on Mauk.

Disclaimer? Obvious shallow bit of information to evaluate. And, they're not playing in the same system or with the same athletes.

Shireffs, however, show poise & an arm/touch that's more accurate today & a better Football IQ & the clear comparative advantage to run (though Mauk is good here too) & he seems to be emerging as a leader. He's not 100%. But, he's a risk responsible QB who makes the right throws & he has chosen the right times to take off & run with the ball. Plus, 8 yard Quarterback sneaks are just not that common. I think, for the first time in a decade, we have a kid who's come in fully skilled & smart with three years of eligibility. Ding ding ding. This spells great for the Diaco years - knock on wood. How often has UConn football not had this & still won decently. Build from here.

Reaction Score
Sherriffs wasn't going against a 3-man rush for the bulk of the game as well. He looked good against legit pressure.

In other words, i agree 100% Pudge

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
granted this needs a Disclaimer too

Missouri has a Jr QB who has been acclaimed in Maty Mauk & a fresh kid in Lock who was the buzz at the Elite 11 Quarterback camp the summer before his NLOI. Both would be considered highly desired in the big boy world of the SEC. I'd take Bryant Shireffs today given what I saw yesterday & previous weeks (for Shireffs) & film on Mauk.

Disclaimer? Obvious shallow bit of information to evaluate. And, they're not playing in the same system or with the same athletes.

Shireffs, however, show poise & an arm/touch that's more accurate today & a better Football IQ & the clear comparative advantage to run (though Mauk is good here too) & he seems to be emerging as a leader. He's not 100%. But, he's a risk responsible QB who makes the right throws & he has chosen the right times to take off & run with the ball. Plus, 8 yard Quarterback sneaks are just not that common. I think, for the first time in a decade, we have a kid who's come in fully skilled & smart with three years of eligibility. Ding ding ding. This spells great for the Diaco years - knock on wood. How often has UConn football not had this & still won decently. Build from here.

Agree 100%. And we aren't alone in that view. The long time Mizzou faithful who I tailgated with yesterday were often praising Shirreffs and openly dreading whenever Mauk faced a passing situation. They really wanted their freshman QB in there. BTW, the Mizzou fans were having a hard time believing their O was so bad yesterday, thinking they were playing down to the level of competition. I "reassured" them it was at least as much due to our D which they had obviously taken too lightly.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I also agree. Taking him over Mauk is an obvious choice. Mauk looked AWFUL. I wasn't impressed at all with his decision making or accuracy. We played mostly contain defense so he had time to go through his progressions and find someone but didn't.

I think it's too early to make any declarations about Lock though. From what I saw, I'd say Lock > Mauk going forward. I thought he had more arm strength and good presence. I was surprised we didn't see more of him in the 2nd half to be honest.

But I do love the way Shirreffs competes. He has the best presence and feel at QB than anyone we've had in quite a long time. Makes the right decisions with the football and knows when to tuck it and run. He also has a bit of magic in the way that he seemingly can escape a sure-thing sack to either minimize a loss or even somehow turn it into a gain.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
But I do love the way Shirreffs competes. He has the best presence and feel at QB than anyone we've had in quite a long time. Makes the right decisions with the football and knows when to tuck it and run.

And he's going to get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate