Ian Swenson Arrested

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Fourth UNH football player charged in fraternity brawl

After police broke up the Jan. 26 fight, which had spilled from the house and caught the attention of patrol officer Emily Festa, police reviewed video surveillance of the incident. SAE has a number of cameras on the property.

The video shows about 15 people approached the back door in hooded sweatshirts, police said. When SAE President Dillon Murphy opened the door, the men pushed him onto the ground and entered the house, according to police.
Three people were seen striking Murphy, according to an affidavit.
Murphy told police that about five minutes later, another large group of people arrived at the front door and attempted to push their way into the house. He recognized them as members of the UNH football team, the affidavit says.

Lucky no one got killed in this misadventure or someone would be facing a felony murder charge instead of felony riot. So perhaps you shouldn't be so quick to have their back.

He should be suspended until a legal determination is made. And things aren't looking good about that at the moment. Video doesn't lie.
This is serious stuff. The football players planned and executed an attack on the SAE house. They will be lucky if they stay out of prison. The only possible defense Swenson could have is that he just happened to be at the party and wasn't part of the group that launched a gang attack on the frat house.

Edit: the fact that the UNH football team came up with this plan means they have probably done it before. The frat happened to be big enough to fight back, was in a public enough area to attract attention from police, and had video cameras. Think of how many house parties the UNH football team has stormed where they beat the crap out of the hosts and took over their house.

Last edited:
This is serious stuff. The football players planned and executed an attack on the SAE house. They will be lucky if they stay out of prison. The only possible defense Swenson could have is that he just happened to be at the party and wasn't part of the group that launched a gang attack on the frat house.

Edit: the fact that the UNH football team came up with this plan means they have probably done it before. The frat happened to be big enough to fight back, was in a public enough area to attract attention from police, and had video cameras. Think of how many house parties the UNH football team has stormed where they beat the crap out of the hosts and took over their house.
If your going to be a tuff, for god sakes do it well. If he was busted rolling with criminals from the SEC and was in a bar/gun fight in Miami, I’d almost get it. But being FBS BOM in campus and friggin raiding a frat house with a bunch of IAA drunk dudes? Come-on man! [sarcasm for those who can’t process jest].

If your going to be a tuff, for god sakes do it well. If he was busted rolling with criminals from the SEC and was in a bar/gun fight in Miami, I’d almost get it. But being FBS BOM in campus and friggin raiding a frat house with a bunch of IAA drunk dudes? Come-on man! [sarcasm for those who can’t process jest].
Football players have been known to get in stupid fights over the years. Chief is not defending Ian putting himself in that situation but unlike some Chief does not feel an immediate obligation to determine his guilt.

Chief will let Ian’s case completes its way through our legal system. If it’s best to suspend him from football activities until that completes, I would understand that. But, a final action should await the legal determination.

Last edited:
Football players have been known to get in stupid fights over the years. Chief is not defending Ian putting himself in that situation but unlike some Chief does not feel an immediate obligation to determine his guilt.

Chief will let Ian’s case completes its way through our legal system. If it’s best to suspend him from football activities until that completes, I would understand that. But, a final action should await the legal determination.
I get it. I’d expect it on campus and around town. Once you’re on somebody else's turf, you gotta use your head. There are no friendlies and “the UConn kid” instigated it and becomes the easy fall guy.

I get it. I’d expect it on campus and around town. Once you’re on somebody else's turf, you gotta use your head. There are no friendlies and “the UConn kid” instigated it and becomes the easy fall guy.
Agree and wish I had that wisdom at age 20. Chief still can’t get over the apparent fact that this fraternity was founded at the University of Alabama in 1856 (pre Civil War). UConn was founded in 1881.

Swenson is collateral damage: Police: UNH football player admits to punching fraternity member

He got bagged because he’s on camera throwing an object during the festivities. The felony riot charge is because there were more than 2 people involved and someone ended up injured.

Let’s be clear, “founded in Alabama a long time ago” is actually 1856 or pre civil war. Slavery existed in Alabama then. I am not an advocate for walking away from our history - it is what it is - warts and all. But, quite frankly, you are correct where Chief sits, I think it might have something to do with the incident. We will see.
Let's see. What can we deduce about the members of a fraternity in New Hampshire in 2019 from the fact that the fraternity originated in antebellum Alabama? The answer would be ... nothing. At all. Can we all say "causal fallacy"? It fascinates me that you have immediately attributed racist motives to the victims of this crime. One might suspect you are hinting at a justification defense. And while you are accusing the victims on the basis of nothing whatsoever you are being ever so scrupulously careful to await the facts about the UConn football player lest he be unjustly treated. The hypocrisy of it all is amazing.

The prosecutor didn't decide to charge Ian Swenson with a felony because he was a UConn football player and just happened to be in the area at the wrong time. He's on tape throwing an object through a window. Let's stop and ponder the foreseeable injuries that can be inflicted by shattered glass and thrown objects. Let's think about the 20 plus other people who attacked the fraternity that night, and who are all telling the prosecutor everything he wants to know because they are all scared excrementless of going to prison themselves. Let's think about the fact that Ian Swenson was prima facie a part of the gang that attacked the house and that his motivation for being there is revealed on the tape. The context is already established. Someone could have been killed or seriously injured and that needs to be addressed. You don't form a gang of 25+ people to attack a party for the sake of injured pride. That's how people get killed.

UConn can suspend him and wait for adjudication. That would be technically correct. In the end it's all the same. Unless of course you can find an innocent explanation for his presence and participation. Here's a hint. "They were a bunch of racists and they deserved it" isn't an innocent explanation. And it would be nice if you had an actual fact to back up your otherwise spurious supposition about racism.

Last edited:

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Agree and wish I had that wisdom at age 20. Chief still can’t get over the apparent fact that this fraternity was founded at the University of Alabama in 1856 (pre Civil War). UConn was founded in 1881.
UConn was a little late to the land grant party. The Morrill Act (1862) established the land grant college program. Yale was designated as Connecticut's land grant school. It was designed to foster advances in agricultural research and production. Yale was reluctant to give it up, and had enough political clout to hang onto it. Finally the state decided it should have a publicly financed state college for agriculture. They were successful in wrestling it away from Yale and designating the Storrs Agricultural School now known as UConn, as CT land grant college. To this day, Cornell still remains the NY state land grant university. The Morrill Act is generally regarded as promoting the mechanization of US agricultural production, making this country prolific in food production.

UConn was a little late to the land grant party. The Morrill Act (1862) established the land grant college program. Yale was designated as Connecticut's land grant school. It was designed to foster advances in agricultural research and production. Yale was reluctant to give it up, and had enough political clout to hang onto it. Finally the state decided it should have a publicly financed state college for agriculture. They were successful in wrestling it away from Yale and designating the Storrs Agricultural School now known as UConn, as CT land grant college. To this day, Cornell still remains the NY state land grant university. The Morrill Act is generally regarded as promoting the mechanization of US agricultural production, making this country prolific in food production.
@UConnNick - Thanks for the history lesson - truly fascinating stuff.

UConn was a little late to the land grant party.
And just a tad few years earlier than the Civil War, the first college fraternity was established well south of the Mason Dixon line. As in just after the Declaration of Independence, Bill & Mary 1776.

Let's see. What can we deduce about the members of a fraternity in New Hampshire in 2019 from the fact that the fraternity originated in antebellum Alabama? The answer would be ... nothing. At all. Can we all say "causal fallacy"? It fascinates me that you have immediately attributed racist motives to the victims of this crime. One might suspect you are hinting at a justification defense. And while you are accusing the victims on the basis of nothing whatsoever you are being ever so scrupulously careful to await the facts about the UConn football player lest he be unjustly treated. The hypocrisy of it all is amazing.

The prosecutor didn't decide to charge Ian Swenson with a felony because he was a UConn football player and just happened to be in the area at the wrong time. He's on tape throwing an object through a window. Let's stop and ponder the foreseeable injuries that can be inflicted by shattered glass and thrown objects. Let's think about the 20 plus other people who attacked the fraternity that night, and who are all telling the prosecutor everything he wants to know because they are all scared excrementless of going to prison themselves. Let's think about the fact that Ian Swenson was prima facie a part of the gang that attacked the house and that his motivation for being there is revealed on the tape. The context is already established. Someone could have been killed or seriously injured and that needs to be addressed. You don't form a gang of 25+ people to attack a party for the sake of injured pride. That's how people get killed.

UConn can suspend him and wait for adjudication. That would be technically correct. In the end it's all the same. Unless of course you can find an innocent explanation for his presence and participation. Here's a hint. "They were a bunch of racists and they deserved it" isn't an innocent explanation. And it would be nice if you had an actual fact to back up your otherwise spurious supposition about racism.
Ouch!
Is anyone gonna pick Chief up off the floor? Anyone?

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
For the record, SAE is a fraternity for major d---s. I wouldn't be surprised if they did something really dumb to cause this behavior. SAE at UConn is the worst.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
For the record, SAE is a fraternity for major d---s. I wouldn't be surprised if they did something really dumb to cause this behavior. SAE at UConn is the worst.
I would have placed them around the median of dbaggery at UConn. Why do you think they deserve special consideration?