I wish Josh Boone would post more | The Boneyard

I wish Josh Boone would post more

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I've been re-reading his blog and some of it is pretty hilarious. Especially his story about the taxi driver in China.

Reaction Score
I've been re-reading his blog and some of it is pretty hilarious. Especially his story about the taxi driver in China.
Here's a link for others: How do you argue with someone, when you don’t speak their language?

Based on related experience, I enjoyed and appreciated Boone's description of his argument with the coach. The taxi scenario and solution's a no brainer for anyone overseas after a little experience; now even less applicable with phone maps & quality translation apps.

Arguments with nationalistic coaches, GMs, team owners, or managers of any kind inclined to blame the Americans or other foreigners for anything and everything, cancel contracts on a whim, etc., not so easily resolved. Kudos to Josh for his successes overseas!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How often do you stick your fingers in baby sh@t there guy?

Almost any parent knows this one...especially if their new arrival is breastfed. I was holding our little nude new born while preparing a diaper change...and..this yellow mustardy like stuff squirted down my chest....I'm saying..."what is this?" while my wife laughed. His first one...and my initiation.

Reaction Score
Almost any parent knows this one...especially if their new arrival is breastfed. I was holding our little nude new born while preparing a diaper change...and..this yellow mustardy like stuff squirted down my chest....I'm saying..."what is this?" while my wife laughed. His first one...and my initiation.
My little daughter was having a diaper change from my aunt. She started shiating and my aunt calmly caught it with her hand, and discarded it and washed her hands. I tell this story so we men appreciated what mom's do. As for me it would have fell wherever and I would have gotten my tools (i.e. gloves, chemical spray, rag and paper towels.) I'll admit I recall calling my wife (the ultimate tool box), when she was around to handle the mess.

A mom/woman doesn't need anything. Love your mom guys, cause Dads will leave us in our mess longer than needed.

Reaction Score
I would say his work arounds are pretty standard but kudos for figuring them out. Learn some of the language dude! Also once you have been in china long enough you learn how to discern the poor quality restaurants that are likely to upset your stomach from the quality places. Remember there are a lot of rich Chinese and a rapidly growing middle class and they have the restaurants to match. Also, substance over flash, avoid the flashy places as they aren't always necessarily solid and might be more lower class, in fact. Never had stomach issues but I noticed a lot of foreigners who just went....Where ever. And ended up with all sorts of funky things. Again, be discerning!

I was in china, 2010 and 2011 before smart phones and constant access to the internet on phones was a big thing but knowing how to speak at least a little made things so much easier. Now it should not be so tough I imagine.

Josh's story about the coach does not shock me. The coach apologizing does. Usually if a foreigner and local are in a dispute the Chinese is always right according to other locals and police, etc. Regardless of what happened. Car accidents are a great example, regardless of what happened the foreigner is wrong and tons of ppl will come out of the wood works to support that narrative.

Any way, good read. Lots of growing pains living in China but you learn a ton if you are open and willing.

Reaction Score
How often do you stick your fingers in baby sh@t there guy?
My son is 3 now so not very often anymore. As others have already told you though, for parents we become very familiar with poo very quickly

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom