OT: I watched an incredible performance. . . | The Boneyard

OT: I watched an incredible performance. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
. . . last night. In the wind and rain on the football field in Wilton, #2 Staples played #7 Ridgefield in the Class LL CIAC football playoffs, quarter-finals.

John Heil of Staples ran for 366 yards and 4 TD's as Staples won the game and advanced.

Very early he busted a 94-yard TC run, had another of 80+ yards and totalled 27 carries.

I don't recall ever seeing a HS player run for 200 yards against anybody or nobody, but YIKES! 366 yards in a playoff game? Once in a lifetime for Heil. Once in a longer lifetime for me.

Just for good measure, YIKES! again.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Is it too early to ask him if he can go pro and play for the Giants? ;)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Not yet ready for the Giants, but I hope UConn has noticed this youngster. Amazingly, another runner is the Star, so Heil has stepped up while his teammate is out with an injury. I could not make this up.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
. . . last night. In the wind and rain on the football field in Wilton, #2 Staples played #7 Ridgefield in the Class LL CIAC football playoffs, quarter-finals.

John Heil of Staples ran for 366 yards and 4 TD's as Staples won the game and advanced.

Very early he busted a 94-yard TC run, had another of 80+ yards and totalled 27 carries.

I don't recall ever seeing a HS player run for 200 yards against anybody or nobody, but YIKES! 366 yards in a playoff game? Once in a lifetime for Heil. Once in a longer lifetime for me.

Just for good measure, YIKES! again.

how often do you follow or attend HS football games?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
how often do you follow or attend HS football games?

I follow fairly closely and attend games as best as I can. I went to this game because I know one Staples player (and his parents) very well. Over many years my attendance at HS games has been up/down, usually limited by factors beyond my control.

But I never witnessed, nor even heard of, a performance like the one I saw last night.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
oh... quite a few players have done it over the years especially in the 90's.

Cheshire had a few good players/teams along with New Britain and Bloomfield... plus many scattered thru out the state.

Fairfield county always produced big boys (O & D line)... maybe not as many running back. Not sure of the numbers.

anyways, 366 is a lot! wow

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
just an example... same night:

Class M
Ansonia 35, Bethel 6: Arkeel Newsome ran for 303 yards and three touchdowns on 26 carries as top-seeded Ansonia defeated Bethel in the Class M quarterfinals at Jarvis Stadium in Ansonia.

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
just an example... same night:

Class M
Ansonia 35, Bethel 6: Arkeel Newsome ran for 303 yards and three touchdowns on 26 carries as top-seeded Ansonia defeated Bethel in the Class M quarterfinals at Jarvis Stadium in Ansonia.

Arkeel runs for that on a regular basis.. I wish Chip Kelly would give him a look but I don't think he's ever even recruited that far away

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Arkeel runs for that on a regular basis.. I wish Chip Kelly would give him a look but I don't think he's ever even recruited that far away
oh... welp, there you go Kib

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
You make me pleased that I introduced this topic. But John Heil, 366 yards, 4 TD's, 27 carries, in a playoff game at the Class LL level, is still the best I ever saw or heard about. So make your case and I will respect it.

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
Arkeel's season stats are: 11 games, 223 rushes for 2,776 yards; 46 touchdowns and an average of 252.4 yards per game.. He had 3 games with over 330 yards. 332 yards on 24 carries and 6 touchdowns against Torrington; 401 yards on 22 carries and 4 touchdowns against Derby; and 358 yards on 17 carries and 3 touchdowns against Seymour.. 7 of his 11 games he's had over 200 yards

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
On September 30, 2006 Sports Illustrated reported that Paul McCoy ran for 658 yards and 10 touchdowns. McCoy broke the reported NFSHSA's record of 619 yards set in Oxnard, CA in 1995. McCoy, also, had a 77 yd TD called because of a penalty. The unofficial high school record was set in 1950 by John Giannantonio in Netcong, NJ is 739 yards.

McCoy averaged 345 per game on the season.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I must now revert to one of my strong theories about human behavior: "The first liar doesn't have a chance."

Let me explain. If you have ever sat in, say, a living room with a half dozen people or so, and one of them describes a recent unusual experience, this experience is then enlarged as others present -- one at a time -- relate their own version.

For example, assume that the first person describes a recent annoying flight delay when traveling. Sure as the Lord makes little green apples, person two had a longer or more unusual delay circumstance once. Right on schedule, number three tops two and on it goes.

I never said that John Heil of Westport set any major record. But what he did was run for 366 yards and 4 TD's against a very good team in a playoff game. And I witnessed something I had never seen nor (until reading these amazing responses) heard of before.

Want to have some fun and test my theory? Next time you are in a group conversation, describe a recent harrowing shopping experience and watch that theme take off. First liar has no chance.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Wasn't trying to rebuff anything you offered, Kib. In fact, your post had me wondering just how high the single game record might be. What Google turned up had me flummoxed at the numbers. Simply off the charts. By the way the record for TDs by a player in a game seems to be 12. 739 yds Yikes! And you are right doing what young Heil did in a LL playoff game is stunning.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Connecticut HS Football record books link

good info, lot of names I forgot about

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
I must now revert to one of my strong theories about human behavior: "The first liar doesn't have a chance."

Let me explain. If you have ever sat in, say, a living room with a half dozen people or so, and one of them describes a recent unusual experience, this experience is then enlarged as others present -- one at a time -- relate their own version.

For example, assume that the first person describes a recent annoying flight delay when traveling. Sure as the Lord makes little green apples, person two had a longer or more unusual delay circumstance once. Right on schedule, number three tops two and on it goes.

I never said that John Heil of Westport set any major record. But what he did was run for 366 yards and 4 TD's against a very good team in a playoff game. And I witnessed something I had never seen nor (until reading these amazing responses) heard of before.

Want to have some fun and test my theory? Next time you are in a group conversation, describe a recent harrowing shopping experience and watch that theme take off. First liar has no chance.

I agree, it was a great performance. I haven't heard of him until your post, so I'll check him out. Arkeel dominated his state game as well, and Ansonia cruised passed Bethel easily.

We have a kid out here in Oregon, Thomas Tyner (committed to Oregon thank GOD) who puts up insane numbers every game (but was injured the majority of this season), and his speed is .02 seconds (I believe) above the Olympic 100 M qualifying times. Kids are simply MUCH better athletes now-a-days

Reaction Score
A lot of this is a tribute to the great coaching of Marce Petroccio and his staff (and the offensive line). As you say, Heil is not even their main runner. I believe he gained more yards in this one game than he had in the team's other 10 games.

Staples runs a system that is very hard for opposing defenses. Ridgefield is not very well coached, so it was a field day for the Staples offense.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I agree, it was a great performance. I haven't heard of him until your post, so I'll check him out. Arkeel dominated his state game as well, and Ansonia cruised passed Bethel easily.

We have a kid out here in Oregon, Thomas Tyner (committed to Oregon thank GOD) who puts up insane numbers every game (but was injured the majority of this season), and his speed is .02 seconds (I believe) above the Olympic 100 M qualifying times. Kids are simply MUCH better athletes now-a-days
I think Kib angle may be that it was a Class L (or LL) game... tougher comp! It was a quarter-finals game tho but 366 is 366 I guess!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
A lot of this is a tribute to the great coaching of Marce Petroccio and his staff (and the offensive line). As you say, Heil is not even their main runner. I believe he gained more yards in this one game than he had in the team's other 10 games.

Staples runs a system that is very hard for opposing defenses. Ridgefield is not very well coached, so it was a field day for the Staples offense.

interesting

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

I feel a little guilty discussing HS football on this forum, but the state championship games are coming up very soon. Ansonia plays on Saturday so some of you may get to see Arkeel Newsome. I am torn between watching Norwalk play (historic level of CIAC success) in Stratford or Staples in West Haven. Winners at all levels play for state championship next week, times/places TBA.

I am not one to criticize the Ridgefield coach but I am well aware of Coach Patroccio's skills and I am amazed at what Norwalk's coach has achieved in his first season.

I also expect to hear the National Anthem at whatever game I attend but I doubt that the congregants will do any Pledge of Allegiance.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
and I never heard of him 9only because I dont follow HS football that much these days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom