I watch on ESPN3, upsetting that SNY doesn't get halftime | The Boneyard

I watch on ESPN3, upsetting that SNY doesn't get halftime

Reaction Score
Being in NC I have watched all the games offered on ESPN3 and why ESPN doesn't let SNY do halftime is really petty. Instead I get the same ESPN halftime tape about the men's freshman standouts. I just mute it and go onto the computer.

I bet the SNY sponsored halftime coverage is far superior. I wish that UConn/SNY/AAC could tell ESPN to buzz off.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
SNY owns the game rights I suspect. ESPN gets to broadcast the game in non-SNY markets and pays SNY for that right. I guess the halftimes don't belong to SNY but to ESPN...

Reaction Score
what is more annoying is it is the same halftime show every time. I guess there was one change they subbed in that Geno interview in place of the love letter to the jackass from duke after he tripped another person.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Being in NC I have watched all the games offered on ESPN3 and why ESPN doesn't let SNY do halftime is really petty. Instead I get the same ESPN halftime tape about the men's freshman standouts. I just mute it and go onto the computer.

I bet the SNY sponsored halftime coverage is far superior. I wish that UConn/SNY/AAC could tell ESPN to buzz off.
Consider my like to be a hundred.

Reaction Score
Jeez, at least ESPN could vary the content a little more...as soon as I see the skinny asian dude I hit mute. Has to be SOMETHING more interesting in the archives.

Reaction Score
One of the (few) advantages of watching the games on ESPN3 delay/replay is that you don't have to watch halftime...;)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
SNY owns the game rights I suspect. ESPN gets to broadcast the game in non-SNY markets and pays SNY for that right. I guess the halftimes don't belong to SNY but to ESPN...
It is the opposite actually, ESPN owns all the AAC game broadcast rights (including the WCBB which was not true with the old BE) so ESPN is letting SNY broadcast some of the games in return for SNY providing the streaming to ESPN3, and in return ESPN3 blocks the streaming to the SNY 'home market' NY, NJ, and southern New England. The reason ESPN3 does not do the SNY halftime (nor pre or post game) is because SNY owns those outright as the are not the actual game that ESPN owns. So not getting the streaming of the SNY owned product is actually SNY's choice and not ESPN.

CTyankee

Reaction Score
It is the opposite actually, ESPN owns all the AAC game broadcast rights (including the WCBB which was not true with the old BE) so ESPN is letting SNY broadcast some of the games in return for SNY providing the streaming to ESPN3, and in return ESPN3 blocks the streaming to the SNY 'home market' NY, NJ, and southern New England. The reason ESPN3 does not do the SNY halftime (nor pre or post game) is because SNY owns those outright as the are not the actual game that ESPN owns. So not getting the streaming of the SNY owned product is actually SNY's choice and not ESPN.

Ahhh... That makes sense... Too bad that it wasn't the other way as I'd like to think it was SNY making all the big bucks and expanding their reach as opposed to ESPN getting the lion's share...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Ahhh... That makes sense... Too bad that it wasn't the other way as I'd like to think it was SNY making all the big bucks and expanding their reach as opposed to ESPN getting the lion's share...
SNY is getting all their ad revenue so I think they are doing OK. The broadcasts are up 15% Y over Y. I believe there is no money changing hands between ESPN and SNY just the content for ESPN to stream, and SNY is still paying UConn the fees they agreed to when they outbid CPTV.

Reaction Score

Thanks, very helpful. You would think for the continuity of the 2 hour game broadcast SNY and EXPN could work out some deal to allow SNY to have their halftime show streamed as part of the package. I wish I could get SNY down here in NC, it seems they do a great job covering UConn WBB.

Reaction Score
It all changed when we joined the AAC and had to give up our media rights to the conference which then sells them to ESPN or whoever regardless of whatever side deal we had with SNY. SNY I thought kinda got screwed when that happened because they thought they were buying exclusive rights to broadcast UConn WCBB like CPTV had done for over a decade, but then had the rug pulled right out from under them by the new conference UConn joined.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Thanks, very helpful. You would think for the continuity of the 2 hour game broadcast SNY and EXPN could work out some deal to allow SNY to have their halftime show streamed as part of the package. I wish I could get SNY down here in NC, it seems they do a great job covering UConn WBB.
I see this with other streamed content as well - I suspect part of it may have to do with the 'talent' (panelists/studio hosts/whatever) and no one wanting to pay them extra, or for SNY keeping pressure on folks to buy their cable channel. They certainly aren't going to be giving ESPN the Geno show or any of their other special to stream.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

nailed it.

CTyankee

Reaction Score
The bad news is that SNY probably will not stream UConn games on their own as ESPN owns those rights and SNY will not allow streaming within their own marketing area...

So those of us outside the SNY marketing area who travel into the SNY marketing area cannot watch on ESPN even if streamed...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom