"I was made for this" Deja Vu, as it were | The Boneyard

"I was made for this" Deja Vu, as it were

Reaction Score
It is very, very early in CW's career. And, as everyone knows, including CW herself, her defense needs substantive work.

Nonetheless, I am struck by CW's attitude toward the big games. Some players, as excellent as they are, just don't bring their "A" game in the biggest games as a matter course. Some do.

I have been watching Olympic-level swimming for most of my life. I have seen everyone swim. I have never seen a swimmer like Michael Phelps. So much has been written about him, but not much about how he always, always brought his "A" game in the biggest of meets, no matter what (e.g., goggles filling up with water, etc.)

This attitude cannot be taught. Athletes (and others) just have it. And, as we all saw repeatedly, Stewie has it in spades. (And Maya. And D. It is part of what makes them what I call "uber" stars.)

One of my favorite Stewie stories happened when she was playing on the U-19 team. The morning of the finals, Stewie spoke with Katie Meier, the head coach (she coaches at Miami). Meier said something to the effect, "I really want to win this game." And Stewie's response was a quiet (I paraphrase), "Don't worry coach, I got this." Well, she did: she did her "Stewie thing" and the USA walked away with the gold medal. Meier commented afterward that it was so amazing, this quiet self-confidence from such a young athlete.

It is early, and we don't have much data yet, but so far, I see the same kind of quiet (and sweet) attitude with CW. Methinks that late in March and early in April, this kind of attitude will propel UConn. It lifts everyone's game. It is contagious.

We shall see. I look forward to playing Cal and, especially, Baylor at Baylor. And then Louisville at their place. Good practice for the tournament.

Thoughts?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I agree. It's hard to define what "it" is by CW sure seems to have it. Quiet confidence, willingness not to second guess herself, etc. I told a few people before the start of the season who are on again off again fans woman's college basketball to watch the UConn games this year. I think the CW/ONO combo will be someting special and I was encouraging people to get in at the beginning. I got a few thank yous after the ND game.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I agree, I love players with confidence and we will need that in the Tournament and Baylor. Stewie and CW are clearly very unselfish players who do not force bad shots and enjoy playing in a very team oriented style. Of course, things can break down in tight and important games so it is critical for leaders to emerge and create and I am convinced CW shares the same gene with Stewie. I also think the same is true for most of our starters so I have a very good feeling about our prospects for a NC.

Reaction Score
It is very, very early in CW's career. And, as everyone knows, including CW herself, her defense needs substantive work.

Nonetheless, I am struck by CW's attitude toward the big games. Some players, as excellent as they are, just don't bring their "A" game in the biggest games as a matter course. Some do.

I have been watching Olympic-level swimming for most of my life. I have seen everyone swim. I have never seen a swimmer like Michael Phelps. So much has been written about him, but not much about how he always, always brought his "A" game in the biggest of meets, no matter what (e.g., goggles filling up with water, etc.)

This attitude cannot be taught. Athletes (and others) just have it. And, as we all saw repeatedly, Stewie has it in spades. (And Maya. And D. It is part of what makes them what I call "uber" stars.)

One of my favorite Stewie stories happened when she was playing on the U-19 team. The morning of the finals, Stewie spoke with Katie Meier, the head coach (she coaches at Miami). Meier said something to the effect, "I really want to win this game." And Stewie's response was a quiet (I paraphrase), "Don't worry coach, I got this." Well, she did: she did her "Stewie thing" and the USA walked away with the gold medal. Meier commented afterward that it was so amazing, this quiet self-confidence from such a young athlete.

It is early, and we don't have much data yet, but so far, I see the same kind of quiet (and sweet) attitude with CW. Methinks that late in March and early in April, this kind of attitude will propel UConn. It lifts everyone's game. It is contagious.

We shall see. I look forward to playing Cal and, especially, Baylor at Baylor. And then Louisville at their place. Good practice for the tournament.

Thoughts?
82....think ou have something there...you named a few of those who play best on the biggest stage. Its a feature all of us are attracted to, and its hard to ignore, even from opposing fans. Phelps, Larry Bid, Michael Jordan, Stewie...to many too name, but so enjoyable to watch. And, one other thing, these winners never make excuses either. As we've seen, CW looks like she'll be special...as in multi-year AA, and, I expect the LVs newest nightmare when the series renews

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Yes, she just may be the total package. What impressed me the most, though, at the Notre Dame game was not what she did on the court, but in the post game interview with Holly. When she said she wanted to do well and win for last year's players (Gabs and Kia), well that awareness and sense of community just blew me away. Still does.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Quiet and sweet off the court but on, she is an assassin.
Assassins get a bad rap. They only kill the bad guys! Well, relatively!

Reaction Score

Thoughts?
While CW is still learning Div One WBB--there is NOTHING I would say about her game that needs SUBSTANTIAL WORK. I'm one of her thousands of cheering fans--who think CW can do no wrong. That fan base will expand exponentially in the next 3 years.

If I recall Stewie lost one of those USA championships to a kid from Canada--can't remember her name but she was a great Canadian National.
CW carried the ND game just exactly as Danger did her frosh year against Baylor--go win this game for me Geno said to the Freshman. Remember that kid, she's still on the Uconn team.
Talent along with Confidence and game time playing along with parental patting higher on the back for great efforts makes DT, CW, Stew, etc type players. Uconn has at least one maybe 3 talented players that lack that kind of confidence, if they ever get it --stand back.

Reaction Score
And to be frank, Dangerfield also has a very similar "I was made for this" conviction when it comes to being UConn's point guard, with respect to the specific things that entails. We are very fortunate to have these two young women as our backcourt this year.

Reaction Score
Yes, she just may be the total package. What impressed me the most, though, at the Notre Dame game was not what she did on the court, but in the post game interview with Holly. When she said she wanted to do well and win for last year's players (Gabs and Kia), well that awareness and sense of community just blew me away. Still does.
A+

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

Thoughts?
Yep.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Excellent post @UConn82. Your best summary sentence is "It lifts everyone's game." This is UCONN version of: "We have DT or Maya or Stewie and you don't"- part IV. For the next 3 and a half season the UCONN team is going to walk into every game thinking: "We have Christyn!

Reaction Score
Excellent post @UConn82. Your best summary sentence is "It lifts everyone's game." This is UCONN version of: "We have DT or Maya or Stewie and you don't"- part IV. For the next 3 and a half season the UCONN team is going to walk into every game thinking: "We have Christyn!

Thank you.

I read a lot about people comparing this player on UConn to that player on said other team. The older I get (I am getting older faster and faster, sigh!), the less that is relevant. It's the team. Who would have thought, as great as D was, that in her junior and senior year we would win the tournament?

Tara said something to the effect that "Maya and a bunch of middle schoolers is a good team." She is right on the money.

CW brings so much to UConn. She said before the season, as we know, that she was guaranteeing a national championship, or something like that. Later, she tweeted Geno to apologize. Supposedly, one of Geno's responses (classic Geno) was to say, essentially, "I am holding you to that." (You made your bed, now sleep in it. :rolleyes:)

BTW, I suspect Megan is pretty similar. If I remember correctly, didn't she score the last 20 or 30 points in her last high school game to bring her team back from way behind to win the state championship? I am waiting for MW to drop 30 on someone. Soon, I suspect. She has so much upside.

I know we did not get everyone we wanted recruiting-wise this year. Nonetheless, I am pretty happy with the team we have for next year. Plus, I suspect we will get some of the marquee recruits for 2020.

We shall see.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom