I was at the game | The Boneyard

I was at the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I live in Hawaii so this was a *rare* opportunity for me!

I'm mostly a Boneyard lurker so here's my post.

The arena was relatively empty so I sat down in the front row right behind the Baylor bench.
Player intros:

The assistant coach noticed me in my grey Connecticut sweatshirt. He saw me using my flip to record the player introductions so he yelled at me to not use "that camera" to video their huddles. I'm sure he thought I was Geno's spy! I didn't want to distract anyone so I put the flip away for the first half.

The play of the game came early. I was watching Odyssey Sims guard Amber Orrange (I think - I was focused on Odyssey). She was so intense, like Mike Singletary but her eyes were crazier. Must be just terrifying when she's up on you. I swear I'd rather be guarded by Brittney than by Odyssey. Anyway Odyssey was only about 15-20 ft away from me when I saw Chiney stick out her knee which bumped Odyssey's thigh. I'm sure there was no intent to injure, only to disrupt, to slow her down. Like a pick. But boy, did Odyssey go down. When she got back to the bench she was crying, bawling like a little girl. I forgot I was a UConn fan and my heart just went out to her, she was in such agony. She had her head down and cried through the entire timeout while Kim was drawing up plays, then she left the court.

(Now I didn't see any news report state that Chiney was involved in the injury and there was no replay to confirm - but I was as close as the ref and that's how it looked to me.)

From that point on, Stanford built up its lead - they just double/triple teamed Brittney and no one was hitting from outside. It didn't seem to me that Brittney was making a major effort in the first half, she had at most 4 points. But then their shots fell and amazingly they closed in by halftime. I figured they'd win.

I moved up and around for a better view of the entire court for the second half, which was pretty even. Brittney came on with some unstoppable moves despite the triple teams. You could see Chiney measuring Brittney and thinking about how to deal with her size. She was careful and I think she avoided being blocked but made some shots that seemed just an inch or two beyond Brittney's reach. I had my doubts about her being top 5 but she's a great player. Majorly athletic and clearly the leader of the team.

Here's my youtube channel for some late 2nd half footage.
http://www.youtube.com/user/brianuc0

Reaction Score
In the second "End Clip Video" it shows Chiney driving around Griner and laying the ball up on the opposite end, thus utilizing the basket as a shield against her. I can't understand why more players in WCBB don't use this tactic in order to attack the basket against her.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Thanks for the first person account

Reaction Score
Hey Brian glad you posted! great insight/inf from a Huskie up close to the action! Alot of us got lucky
and were provided with the Stanford streaming Video! It was a great game to watch! It should have been on ESPBN!!!
Checkout the huge thread on the game! Post any more insights/impressions that come to you!

Also lurk less and post more! I read after the game on the Baylor Site, that Sims had a strained Hamstring!
I am sure more inf will be released today. Props to ST.

Interesting side note also on the Baylor Site. Kim M. had tweeted or stated earlier in the week
that a loss might be good gor the team!!

Eric,buddy ya missed a great game! Speak to your BRO about the game. Also read the thread the big one!
Some good threads from yesterday that you would enjoy!
Ira

Reaction Score
That's some of the best "from the stands" footage I've ever seen. Nice job and thanks for your insight.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Will Talk
In the great '73 Knick win (I hope I have my date right), perhaps in he final game (the one when Willis Reed, injured started and inspired the team), Phil Jackson made exactly that play on Wilt Chamberlain.
Geno knows all about it and in Stewie, he has a big who can execute it big time. Watch for it.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
What a great post!
Think woman's BB isn't a dirty game?
Kim preparing the team for losses to UConn?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Will Talk
In the great '73 Knick win (I hope I have my date right), perhaps in he final game (the one when Willis Reed, injured started and inspired the team)

It seems that this game (#7 for the NBA championship) is invariably recalled for the heroic (but brief) appearance by Willis Reed. What is often overlooked is the fact that Walt "Clyde" Frazier lit up the Garden (and the Lakers) by playing one of the greatest clutch performances in NBA history.

Clyde (he got the nickname from the then popular movie, "Bonnie and Clyde") was renowned for his superb defensive skills, but he was no slouch with the ball in his hands. On the night of the championship game under discussion, Frazier scored an astonishing 36 points and dished out 19 assists.

Reed may have inspired his teammates but Frazier brought the trophy to New York.

This was not an aberration. I believe that his record of 4,791 career assists still stands as a Knicks record.

So much for the "Willis Reed game."

Reaction Score
Will Talk
In the great '73 Knick win (I hope I have my date right), perhaps in he final game (the one when Willis Reed, injured started and inspired the team), Phil Jackson made exactly that play on Wilt Chamberlain.
Geno knows all about it and in Stewie, he has a big who can execute it big time. Watch for it.

I am almost sure it was 1970. The 1973 Knicks had Earl Monroe and Jerry Lucas among its stars.

Reaction Score
Fantastic video.
1. Griner had a very nice look on that last shot.
2. Destiny Williams missed a gimme underneath. Gotta make those.
3. Baylor cannot be feeling at all bad about the loss. Sure, the streak came to an end. That can be burdensome. For Baylor to play as well as they did with the unexpected loss of Odyssey Sims speaks well for them going forward.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Great videos. Thanks for sharing.

In the clip of the possession in which Williams missed the bunny, it's interesting to watch Stanford's defense. Kokenis was guarding Simms' replacement (Johnson?) and guarded her softly until she crossed half court and passed the ball. Kokenis then turned her back on Johnson and immediately ran to double Griner. Kokenis and Stanford could not have cared any less about Johnson and whether she would be open for a short jumper. Baylor actually ran good offense on that possession and Williams missed an easy shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom