I wanna see UConn be like the Seahawks | The Boneyard

I wanna see UConn be like the Seahawks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Have Athletes everywhere, dominant running game, defense and special teams, as well as a qb who is smart and wins. With the threat of the pass of course.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
And I want to grow wings and win the lottery. Even bama ain't that good

Reaction Score
**says every team, ever**

jk man, but yes those things are all very desirable, and their climate mirrors ours very closely so it is repeatable.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Every coach and fan wants their team to be like the Seahawks.

While we're at it, I want UConn basketball to look like the showtime Lakers.

A dominant, hall of fame center who can run all day, a hall of fame point guard that is unguardable, a hall of fame power forward who runs and jumps like gazelles, etc. etc.

Reaction Score
With realistic expectations of course but I think college teams today should model themselves after the Seahawks, speed wins you have great young coaching, you get kids in your program who are hungry. Btw wanting to and expecting to are two different things lol. Don't blame me I'm just fired up for the season to start.

Reaction Score
*says every team, ever*

jk man, but yes those things are all very desirable, and their climate mirrors ours very closely so it is repeatable.

well thats what I mean a young team with a lot of fire, and us against the world approach

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If we could become a defensive led team by being physical, fast and relying more on execution than risk taking with an offense that can move the ball on the ground and concerns itself by "remaining on schedule" (not getting into third and long very often) I am all for it (even though TDH would have a stroke if we went in this direction).

Reaction Score
Do people not see what I'm trying to get at here, don't have the thread title throw you off.

Reaction Score
I get what you mean in a non literal sense---and all I can think of is a Donald Brown or Todman team with Casey Cochran at QB. All the other guys we had weren't quite good enough to make those teams special. That would have been fun to see, especially the BCS game. I think we could have turned that Oklahoma game into a shoot out with Casey at QB. I think Diaco will give you a culture more like Pete Carroll encourages (very positive). This will also help recruiting. We just need Arkeel Newsome to be the real deal and we'll be closer to your vision than many think. An accurate and composed QB that doesn't turn the ball over and a great running back are incredible building blocks. (Yes, I am a Casey Cochran Fan Club card carrier).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Do people not see what I'm trying to get at here, don't have the thread title throw you off.

Yes, you want athletes all over the field. A dominant running game. A dominant defense. A dominant special teams. And you want a smart QB who wins and can throw. As opposed to all the other football teams out there.

Seriously? You didn't expect to get grief over this? This is the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
Yes, you want athletes all over the field. A dominant running game. A dominant defense. A dominant special teams. And you want a smart QB who wins and can throw. As opposed to all the other football teams out there.

Seriously? You didn't expect to get grief over this? This is the Boneyard.

I could care less about getting grief, ok I used some hyperbole, ok so I will say that I hope we suck then.

Reaction Score
What I love most about that game last night, is that the Seahawks proved without a doubt, that a defense can still intimidate, dominate, with physical play in the current rule structures. The Seattle LBs and DBs were hitting HARD, and they were hitting legally, and not head hunting and knocked the holy tar out of Denver all game long.

The tone was set very early, not by the safety, but by an early completion on one of Denver's signature crossing/pick routes, where that big TE receiver #88? got hit so hard by the seattle player on the catch that he left his feet and went about 3 yards backward.

If I could have UCONN be anything like the Seattle Seahawks, it would be having the players and systems in place to be able to change the game and set the tone based on the simple mechanics of blocking and tackling - which results in your opponent lying on their back wondering what just happened, and not wanting to do it again.

Aikman nailed the basics of that game in the second half in a single comment. There wasn't a single player anywhere on the Broncos roster that was winning their individual battles.

Reaction Score
I want Diaco to be like Pete Carroll. Players love the guy.

TJ reminded me of Carroll.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I want Diaco to be like Pete Carroll. Players love the guy.

TJ reminded me of Carroll.

I'd love my coach too ... if he paid off my mom's mortgage, gave me an SUV, and hooked me up with a cash paying job at a car dealership that I didn't even have to show up for ... what's not t love???

Reaction Score
I remember when Carroll was coach of the Pats. What a long way he has come.

Reaction Score
Have Athletes everywhere, dominant running game, defense and special teams, as well as a qb who is smart and wins. With the threat of the pass of course.

UConn's strength coming off last season is CC and the WR corp. That is where the athletic talent is. But yeah, athletes everywhere is highly desirable.

Reaction Score
If we could become a defensive led team by being physical, fast and relying more on execution than risk taking with an offense that can move the ball on the ground and concerns itself by "remaining on schedule" (not getting into third and long very often) I am all for it (even though TDH would have a stroke if we went in this direction).

The 2011 and 2012 UConn teams had a very strong defense. But even they required an offense that could actually score . . . . touchdowns. NFL still a passing league. College football still a passing game. Good news is you can have it all. A good passing game does not have to come at the expense of a terrific defense. Nor does it have to present itself at the expense of a solid running game. But . . . . you have to be able to score touchdowns in this day and age. So yeah . . . if BD turns out to be a stud recruiter then the Huskies will have athletes on both sides of the ball. Just don't want anymore repeats of losing winnable games because of inept offense '09 (12-10) against UNC, (10-7) against NC State in '12 and last seasons USF game. Put the freaking ball in the endzone, it's not that difficult, everybody's doing it these days.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
The 2011 and 2012 UConn teams had a very strong defense. But even they required an offense that could actually score . . . . touchdowns. NFL still a passing league. College football still a passing game. Good news is you can have it all. A good passing game does not have to come at the expense of a terrific defense. Nor does it have to present itself at the expense of a solid running game. But . . . . you have to be able to score touchdowns in this day and age. So yeah . . . if BD turns out to be a stud recruiter then the Huskies will have athletes on both sides of the ball. Just don't want anymore repeats of losing winnable games because of inept offense '09 (12-10) against UNC, (10-7) against NC State in '12 and last seasons USF game. Put the freaking ball in the endzone, it's not that difficult, everybody's doing it these days.
Somehow in your eyes if we had a loss similar to WVU at Baylor this past fall (73-42 Bears) that would be a better outcome than the two above losses you referenced.

Reaction Score
Somehow in your eyes if we had a loss similar to WVU at Baylor this past fall (73-42 Bears) that would be a better outcome than the two above losses you referenced.

Yeah, that's a great parallel. Put the ball in the freakin' endzone. We saw what that did during the last three games this past season, and it was just about the only thing that kept this program from being "pronounced dead". Put the ball in the freakin' endzone.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
TDH, I was a fan of the NY Giants when in the late 1960's to early 1970's they have a good offense but couldn't stop anyone through the mid to late 1970's when they had a good defense but could not move the ball. Each is equally frustrating but one advantage to having the defense as the one side of the ball (assuming only one can be good) is that there are ways to score outside of a traditional offense. If P realized this we would have won two to three more games his first year here and one or two more his second (the silver lining here is that by not recognizing how to best utilize our talent, P is now gone).

One thing that became ridiculously clear last weekend (to anyone with an open mind) was that even with the rules changes over the decades to make it easier for offense, the best offense ever (look up the stats) was humiliated by a very strong defense. Defense still wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom