I thought on last night about the halves. | The Boneyard

I thought on last night about the halves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Coming out of finals this team took off for the biggest game of the year. Emotions were automatically high and the game was one of maximum effort and quality. It was a sell out crowd and the energy took care of itself.

Last night the team had been on the road for several days, yesterday was rainy and the ability to do some interesting things was limited (per an in game comment by the announcers). The crowd was ok but very different than the zoo at Baylor. The team came in flat and seemed to be struggling and to a degree just going through the motions.

I would have loved to hear the half time conversation in the locker room. In the game file I noted I thought Geno might pull out his Broadway speech about how this game may be this crowd's one time seeing a WCBB game and it will leave an impression. The crowd deserved the best effort of the entire team and sure enough an entirely different team showed up in the second half.

I see a huge learning curve for this young team on this trip. It was the first major road trip of the season, first huge game in a hostile environment, first long road trip, the game after let down after that big Baylor game, and a game without the rigors and daily discipline of class work because the semester was over and, oh yes, a teammate who contributed to the great first half against Baylor got injured away from the normal medical facilities. There was a lot of non game related material to learn to manage.

It should not be surprising, disappointing, yes, just not surprising, that the first half was uninspired, immaturity can lead to false expectations that just showing up against CoC should be enough compared to Baylor. The best news is second half showed correction and the ability to make in game transition in attitude and execution. With a young team the firsts are constant and the learning is continual. It is easy to lose track of that as fans who simply turn on the TV and want to see a good performance.

The team still needs to find its voice and player who can hold the internally accountable. Struggles like last night can help that. According to John A. some players voiced that again after the game. Time to resolve this issue.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
Coming out of finals this team took off for the biggest game of the year. Emotions were automatically high and the game was one of maximum effort and quality. It was a sell out crowd and the energy took care of itself.

Last night the team had been on the road for several days, yesterday was rainy and the ability to do some interesting things was limited (per an in game comment by the announcers). The crowd was ok but very different than the zoo at Baylor. The team came in flat and seemed to be struggling and to a degree just going through the motions.

Would loved to hear the half time conversation in the locker room. In the game file I noted I thought Geno might pull out his Broadway speech about how this may be this crowds one time seeing a WCBB game. The crowd deserved the best effort of the entire team and sure enough an entirely different team showed up in the second half.

I see a huge learning curve for this young team on this trip. It was the first major road trip of the season, first huge game in a hostile environment, first long road road trip, the game after let down after that big Baylor game, and a game without the rigors and daily discipline of class work because the semester was over and, oh yes, a teammate who contributed to the great first half against Baylor got injured away from the normal medical facilities. There were a lot of non game related material to learn to manage.

It should not be surprising the first half was uninspired, immaturity can lead to false expectations that just showing up against CoC should be enough compared to Baylor, the best news is second half showed correction and the ability to make in game transition in attitude and execution. With a young team the firsts are constant and the learning is continual. It is easy to lose track of that as fans who simply turn on the TV and want to see a good performance.

The team still needs to find its voice and player who can hold the internally accountable. Struggles like last night can help that. According to John A. some players voiced that again after the game. Time to resolve this issue.

Good analysis, Icebear. I hope you're right and things improve in January (I'm not expecting much from the Fairfield game). The game vs. West Virginia at the XL Center on January 4 should be far more enlightening.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
they said Geno said NOTHING in the locker... he didnt even go into the locker.

Maybe he made a quick trip to the mall for some Christmas gifts

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
they said Geno said NOTHING in the locker... he didnt even go into the locker.

Maybe he made a quick trip to the mall for some Christmas gifts
That was indeed one of the guesses they made about how Geno would handle the situation.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
and you do know thats a fact... or did I hear that wrong. I think CD or Bria mentioned it to Kara

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
and you do know thats a fact... or did I hear that wrong. I think CD or Bria mentioned it to Kara
I did not hear them say that it actually happened. I was having trouble with the feed last night.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
yup... I think thats a fact. he didnt go in the locker, Tiff, Doty & Faris spoke up if I can remember thats what "Bria" said

Reaction Score
This game was the best teacher to grow up quickly or your will not meet your season goals. You need to come out with fire for every game........Who will step up over the next few days via email and text to take over the voice of this team.....

My guess is Kelly and CD......

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I thought on last night about the halves.

Made me think about the halves and halves not.

immaturity can lead to false expectations that just showing up against CoC should be enough compared to Baylor.

Except that it was enough, so they are not really false.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Good analysis, Icebear. I hope you're right and things improve in January (I'm not expecting much from the Fairfield game). The game vs. West Virginia at the XL Center on January 4 should be far more enlightening.
Games in early January are typically icky. Kids are sluggish after the break, have to live in hotels since the dorms are closed, and are bored with classes not in session. Historically, the team has gone into a kind of post-holiday swoon especially when there are a lot of young players. Maybe Geno did his "vocal leader" thing last night in an attempt to avoid the letdown this year.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
It is easy to lose track of that as fans who simply turn on the TV and want to see a good performance.

I wish it was just wanting to see a good performance. It's more demanding to see a good performance and get a little crazy when they don't get it.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I wish it was just wanting to see a good performance. It's more demanding to see a good performance and get a little crazy when they don't get it.
I was being gentle.

Reaction Score

I would have loved to hear the half time conversation in the locker room. In the game file I noted I thought Geno might pull out his Broadway speech about how this game may be this crowd's one time seeing a WCBB game and it will leave an impression. The crowd deserved the best effort of the entire team and sure enough an entirely different team showed up in the second half.

I see a huge learning curve for this young team on this trip. It was the first major road trip of the season, first huge game in a hostile environment, first long road trip, the game after let down after that big Baylor game, and a game without the rigors and daily discipline of class work because the semester was over and, oh yes, a teammate who contributed to the great first half against Baylor got injured away from the normal medical facilities. There was a lot of non game related material to learn to manage.

It should not be surprising, disappointing, yes, just not surprising, that the first half was uninspired, immaturity can lead to false expectations that just showing up against CoC should be enough compared to Baylor. The best news is second half showed correction and the ability to make in game transition in attitude and execution. With a young team the firsts are constant and the learning is continual. It is easy to lose track of that as fans who simply turn on the TV and want to see a good performance.

Reaction Score
Icebear - you keep saying we are a young team. We start, in effect, 2 seniors(tiff & doty), 1 junior & 2 sophomores - all with national championship or final 4 experience. that is not the definition of a "young team".

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Icebear - you keep saying we are a young team. We start, in effect, 2 seniors(tiff & doty), 1 junior & 2 sophomores - all with national championship or final 4 experience. that is not the definition of a "young team".
See DoggyDaddy's post. We are young in age relying greatly on freshmen and sophomores. Kaleena, Kiah, Brianna are young and this was their first major road trip and first time through the issues related to all the issues listed. Bria, Lauren, Michala, Stef, Bria all have one years experience. That is 7 out of 11 players who are underclassmen. I consider that young.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
dont even mention Heather (another senior) who played/practice with the best center in pro basketball

Reaction Score
See DoggyDaddy's post. We are young in age relying greatly on freshmen and sophomores. Kaleena, Kiah, Brianna are young and this was their first major road trip and first time through the issues related to all the issues listed. Bria, Lauren, Michala, Stef, Bria all have one years experience. That is 7 out of 11 players who are underclassmen. I consider that young.
Icebear - Geno has always said that in big games or tournament games his preference is a 7-man rotation - i.e. the 2002 huskies, considered by many to be the greatest team ever - Sue, Swin, Tamika, Asjha, Diana & Jess Moore & A.B. as the 6th & 7th men. Based on this parameter our current starting 5 of Tiff, Doty, Stef, Bria & Kelly with KML & Heather as the 6th & 7th men in no way constitutes a "young" team!!! That's 3 seniors, 1 junior, 2 sophomores & 1 freshman!!!
Also you stated that we are heavily relying on Banks & Stokes. In the 11 games played so far this season 8 have been against inferior competition & 3 against very good teams - Sranford, A& M & Baylor. in the 3 big games Geno has played Stokes & Banks a combined grand total of 32 minutes. That's an average of 5.4 minutes per player per game! I would not term that "relying heavily upon".

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You are talking game play while I am talking the team dynamics of travel and firsts and the impact of the team being young overall, on and off the court. Game play is only one aspect of learning to be a college basketball player. Off court behavior can have direct impact on the court. It is about learning to manage distractions. None of my comments regarded game play except as impacted by those outside forces.

As Nan notes each year we see off court conditions affect on court performance between the semesters and around the holidays.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
You are talking game play while I am talking the team dynamics of travel and firsts and the impact of the team being young overall, on and off the court. Game play is only one aspect of learning to be a college basketball player. Off court behavior can have direct impact on the court. It is about learning to manage distractions. None of my comments regarded game play except as impacted by those outside forces.

As Nan notes each year we see off court conditions affect on court performance between the semesters and around the holidays.
wow... so when the word YOUNG is used its not about basketball? is this the same YOUNG used when talking about losing to Baylor?

Bria, Dolson, Faris Tiff, Doty, Buck all know how to "manage distractions"... I even think KML does too but I'll give her a pass cause she's a true frosh/youngster.

(sorry for bringing up that old Baylor game in this thread)

thanks now I get it :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
The key players on our team this year are 2 sophomores and a freshman. I also think of this team as "young".

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
The key players on our team this year are 2 sophomores and a freshman. I also think of this team as "young".
not your AVERAGE frosh(s)

soooooo Kelly, Doty & Tiff are ummmm nevermind.

UConn lost by 5 to Baylor, period. "If" they had won the word "young" wouldnt be mentioned.

still a weak excuse, give Baylor some credit (they won with a Jr & Soph as their "key players")

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
wow... so when the word YOUNG is used its not about basketball? is this the same YOUNG used when talking about losing to Baylor?

Bria, Dolson, Faris Tiff, Doty, Buck all know how to "manage distractions"... I even think KML does too but I'll give her a pass cause she's a true frosh/youngster.

(sorry for bringing up that old Baylor game in this thread)

thanks now I get it :rolleyes:
NO, I am addressing specifically the use in my OP here. We are still young comparatively to Baylor. Sentence structure would indicate either the use of young or younger in that thread. The comment was relative to Baylor there. That is the problem with carting things from one thread to another.

Not being one's typical average sophomores and freshman doesn't mean they aren't still prone to making many mistakes made by young athletes.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
NO, I am addressing specifically the use in my OP here. We are still young comparatively to Baylor. Sentence structure would indicate either the use of young or younger in that thread. The comment was relative to Baylor there. That is the problem with carting things from one thread to another.

Not being one's typical average sophomores and freshman doesn't mean they aren't still prone to making many mistakes made by young athletes.
seniors make mistakes (Tiff)

Reaction Score
IMHO this is a silly argument. A mature team is one that will move on in the near future; a young team looks to have years ahead. We have one senior who is doing great this year; three juniors, one who always seems to exceed expectation, one who is still somewhat hobbled and one with a bum wrist; 4 sophomores and 3 freshmen all playing extremely well for their level..... it is a young team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom