I think Jim Calhoun would have been announced already | The Boneyard

I think Jim Calhoun would have been announced already

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I don't think there's a legit reason for withholding the announcement unless they can't release the name(s)

Just like Pitt and GA are announcing their candidates, Matta evidently turned down GA, UConn would name names if they could

Since they haven't, that suggests to me that it's either Hurley or some other coach presently in the post season. Maybe if that unnamed coach falls through, then maybe JC is a backup.

I have no sources, this is pure speculation with a dash of reasoning

Reaction Score
Agree 100%. Also, AD DB likes to be proactive. Hiring back JC may bring back some fond memories and seeing him on the sidelines will no doubt be nostalgic, but for the program it will be viewed as regression. This hire will go a long way in defining DBs career and he must know that he has to get his number 1. You don't make this move unless you have assurances that will happen. Besides, I doubt very much given our current financial state, that we would risk buying Ollie out to bring a 75 years old JC. It simply makes no sense. JC is a deity to UConn athletics and deserves all the adoration: a street name, a court name, a statue, etc. Coming back would set this program back, not just in terms of years, but maybe forever. These next 5- 7 years can very well dictate the fate of UConn sports. The margin for error is essentially 0.

The fact that there hasn't been any whispers from the athletic department and simply speculation from media losers who have no ties to the program suggest to me that the reason is the next coach and his team is still playing.

Reaction Score
I don't think it would be wise for Calhoun to come back. But it seems like some people don't want him back because, then, they would be conflicted in hoping the next coach fails.

Reaction Score
If Jim Calhoun is our coach next year, I will not root for UConn again. Full stop.

There is no reason to pull a nearly 80-year-old man out of retirement. He will not be able to recruit, ruin his health, and simply isn't at an age where he will be able to compete with younger coaches.

Luckily this is a pipe dream. I don't know what's happening down at ESPN, but if this is the crap they're coming up with, they needn't be getting these tax breaks.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I don't think it would be wise for Calhoun to come back. But it seems like some people don't want him back because, then, they would be conflicted in hoping the next coach fails.
Who is hoping the next coach fails? Hell, who hoped this coach failed? KO failed, and many of us wanted him out as a result, but I don't know a single person that "hoped" for where we are.

Reaction Score
Who is hoping the next coach fails? Hell, who hoped this coach failed? KO failed, and many of us wanted him out as a result, but I don't know a single person that "hoped" for where we are.
One of the worst parts of the past two years is that UConn's under performance has led to all kinds of stupid on the boneyard. The narrative that any real fan wants a coach to fail could be the dumbest of them all.

Reaction Score
This isn’t what I expected it to turn out when we hired KO. I want Uconn to succeed and coaches to succeed because if we keep it at this pace we are stuck and will be worse then other mid major schools. I want these teams to succeed so we can get out of the aac

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Guys. The Calhoun rumor it coming from a Barstool blogger who got DM’d by someone no one knows on Twitter. We need to relax.

J Money also said he heard about it a few weeks back

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
So who DM'd barstool to start this rumor? My money is on Chief or one of his worshipers.

Reaction Score
One of the worst parts of the past two years is that UConn's under performance has led to all kinds of stupid on the boneyard. The narrative that any real fan wants a coach to fail could be the dumbest of them all.

Some of us realized that he had failed before others, but nobody hoped for him to fail, at least not anyone that I am aware of. I hoped we had a great coach for 2 decades. It didn't happen.

willie99

Reaction Score
Guys. The Calhoun rumor it coming from a Barstool blogger who got DM’d by someone no one knows on Twitter. We need to relax.

Stop the idiocy. Jim is not coaching UConn again. Jeez.

Am I missing something? are all these posts in response to my OP? Or the issue I raise? Because if they are, we have a serious disconnect going on around here

Reaction Score
i dont want calhoun to potentially ruin the rep he created. we were a powerhouse under him. let's not let the AAC situation undermine him now.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
It is possible JC feels responsible for thrusting KO on us and wants redemption. But cmon AD Dave. How you just gonna keep bringing back old coaches?

Reaction Score
Am I missing something? are all these posts in response to my OP? Or the issue I raise? Because if they are, we have a serious disconnect going on around here
Well the OP mentioned something about how Calhoun is coming back (on the other thread) but gave no more information, and also in that thread was the Barstool tweet/DM. See here:

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Nobody wants the next coach to fail. Why are you so susceptible to lies?

willie99

Reaction Score
Well the OP mentioned something about how Calhoun is coming back (on the other thread) but gave no more information, and also in that thread was the Barstool tweet/DM. See here:

I actually said that IF he were coming back, they probably would have announced it already, hence he's probably NOT coming

I also said they're probably waiting for a coach who's team is still playing

The majority of responses in this thread are going down the wrong path, this place has lost it's compass

Reaction Score
The candidates that are in the tournament is Hurley and Cooley. I know they were both mentioned for potential candidates.

Reaction Score
I actually said that IF he were coming back, they probably would have announced it already, hence he's probably NOT coming

I also said they're probably waiting for a coach who's team is still playing

The majority of responses in this thread are going down the wrong path, this place has lost it's compass
I wasn't even referring to you. My comment said "in the other thread"

Reaction Score
Calhoun for what, one season? Remember all the games he used to miss and Blaney would be coaching? He left because it was a meat grinder and he was done so now at 76 again? No.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I agree
Idiotic statements like that are looking to stir the pot or from someone who has lost their mind - in some case it's one of the same
Any real fan never wants their team/program/school to fail as any real fan doesn't stop watching the team when times are not good and is proud to say so. IMHO

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The candidates that are in the tournament is Hurley and Cooley. I know they were both mentioned for potential candidates.
Wouldn't you be surprised if it was someone totally different. Cooley isn't leaving Providence - he's a Providence man and has a really good recruiting class coming in. Hurley isn't the only guy out there

Reaction Score
Wouldn't you be surprised if it was someone totally different. Cooley isn't leaving Providence - he's a Providence man and has a really good recruiting class coming in. Hurley isn't the only guy out there
I know I don’t mind if it’s someone totally different. I like the suspense

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom