I think I've hit my breaking point... | The Boneyard

I think I've hit my breaking point...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I honestly, just cannot take it anymore.

This has gotten so incredibly out of hand. It's a sad reflection on the university's and their presidents, the BCS, ESPN and on a larger scale, a sad reflection on our society as whole. It seems money truly is the root of all evil and greed has never been more prevalent to me than now. Everything just seems so damn corrupt.

Reaction Score

This has gotten so incredibly out of hand. It's a sad reflection on the university's and their presidents, the BCS, ESPN and on a larger scale, a sad reflection on our society as whole. It seems money truly is the root of all evil and greed has never been more prevalent to me than now. Everything just seems so damn corrupt.

2008 economic developments didn't crystallize this for you?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
2008 economic developments didn't crystallize this for you?

Maybe in hindsight, but I was still at UConn in 2008 so I don't think I really appreciated what was going on in the outside world.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Interesting argument. I think BLawyer is right. It is more offensive that non-profit institutions are acting this way than Wall Street. On some level with Wall Street, the banks were just doing what they have done since the Phoenicians, ripping off everyone in sight and then running to the government for help when the music stopped.

These schools are non-profit institutions of higher education. They should not be behaving this way.

Reaction Score
What the institutions are doing is making sure that, in a time of budgetary cutbacks, they have enough money to run athletic departments, because clearly most of them subsidize their departments to a great degree. I find no shame in that at all.

What's shameful is making coast-to-coast conferences that will impact student athletes negatively, and for that the NCAA is to blame. It's to blame for the clearinghouse, APR, the new provisions coming on line. So yeah there's a lot of shamefulness at these institutions. But I don't find Pitt and Cuse's actions to be that shameful.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
The whole situation is indicative of today's big business model. Today, and maybe tomorrow are all that matter. Maximize profit now and let the future take care of itself. I don't ever want to hear about college tradition again. Old regional rivalries are being left behind in favor of the next big contract.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I have no problem with the fact that schools are seeking to maximize their revenues, especially in these uncertain economic times. I actually think it's their responsibility. We're all shareholders in UConn.

It just sucks that, at this moment, our options to maximize those revenues are quite limited...

Reaction Score
These are non-profit institutions. It is a heck of a lot more offensive that they are playing these games then Wall Street.
Maybe the IRS should re-examine the "non-profit" status of some of these programs. These athletic programs are clearly "for profit" entities shielded by the universities. I assume that this would be a real sore point with the schools and not something that I'd want Blumenthal, McConnell, etc. hanging over my head.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Maybe the IRS should re-examine the "non-profit" status of some of these programs. These athletic programs are clearly "for profit" entities shielded by the universities. I assume that this would be a real sore point with the schools and not something that I'd want Blumenthal, McConnell, etc. hanging over my head.

^^^^ This being the ultimate hammer to.get the universities in line. Unfortunately, Congress would never actually do it. The best you could hope.for is a McGuire/Sosa style hearing.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
Wealth is either earned, stolen, inherited, won in a lottery, or handed out.
Conference realignment is treading in the stolen, won in a lottery, and handed out waters.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
the latest rumor?

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 26

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Sorry this is hitting you so hard. It's hard to be happy when things aren't looking good.

UConn as an educational institution will survive and could even flourish academically no matter how things turn out for it in the realignment process. The worse case scenario is that the sports programs may drop a level in their importance. For some of us this won't provide consolation. We'll still be very disturbed by this outcome because we're so emotionally invested in UConn's sports. Hopefully you will find yourself transitioning away from the pride component of athletics and come to terms with the situation, if things don't turn around.

You're young and this is one of your first experiences with life's disappointments. My philosophy is to examine our difficulties when the situation that stresses us has completed its course, and use it as an opportunity to learn from it. And if you can learn from these experience without becoming cynical and bitter, or if you become cynical and bitter but don't let this lead you into a life which causes you to hurt other people, you and the world will benefit from this.

The idea that we can avoid all difficulties is a fallacy. Certainly we can do things to lesson the numbers of problems or the severity of some problems. But we will never get to zero problems. There is nothing wrong with trying to figure out strategies to reduce problems. But we should also learn to develop ways to reduce their impact on us when they occur. And if we can do this without becoming numb to life, we will maximize our happiness.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Sorry this is hitting you so hard. It's hard to be happy when things aren't looking good.

You're young and this is one of your first experiences with life's disappointments. My philosophy is to examine our difficulties when the situation that stresses us has completed its course, and use it as an opportunity to learn from it. And if you can learn from these experience without becoming cynical and bitter, or if you become cynical and bitter but don't let this lead you into a life which causes you to hurt other people, you and the world will benefit from this.

Translation: I'm old enough now where I've been bent over too many times to give a any longer. Fear not, you too will loosen up. Both puns intended.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Translation: I'm old enough now where I've been bent over too many times to give a any longer. Fear not, you too will loosen up. Both puns intended.
Exactly grasshopper. But I do feel badly for the kid.

Reaction Score
What the institutions are doing is making sure that, in a time of budgetary cutbacks, they have enough money to run athletic departments, because clearly most of them subsidize their departments to a great degree. I find know shame in that at all.

What's shameful is making coast-to-coast conferences that will impact student athletes negatively, and for that the NCAA is to blame. It's to blame for the clearinghouse, APR, the new provisions coming on line. So yeah there's a lot of shamefulness at these institutions. But I don't find Pitt and Cuse's actions to be that shameful.

Wanting to increase revenue from non-tuition sources is, obviously, not shareful. It is the dog eat dog competition that bothers me. Non-profits are all, by law, supposed to sever the public good. That ought to mean you can't but non-profit competitors out of business just to marginally increase your position. And that's before you even get to the antitrust issues.

I'll give you an example. I forget where you teach, but let's say it's Buffalo. Would you really want Ohio State University to be able to say "we could make more money if we took over the market in western NY, so let's come in, open a branch of TOSU and then price tuition at a loss until we drive UB out of business. That's not right when a private business does it but you aren't more offensive when one organization that takes government money uses it to attack another organiztion that takes government money? Taxpayer interest shouldn't enter into what public institutions do?

I'm not accusing you of this, but I laugh when people say "I want government out of college football." Dude -- college football is 99% run by the government today. It's just run by various arms of various state governments.

Reaction Score
^^^^ This being the ultimate hammer to.get the universities in line. Unfortunately, Congress would never actually do it. The best you could hope.for is a McGuire/Sosa style hearing.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

What exactly do you want them to do? Tax the athletic programs? How do you run a for-profit program that essentially forces you to give scholarships to other students. Title 9. How easy would it be for these schools to show NO profits if that were to happen? Who pays for the guidance counselors, the bond service on new facilities, the doctors, the cost per student athlete of attendance? How easy would it be to shift all costs into the AD? How about taking away contributions, royalties, student fees from revenues.

If the Texas President were so inclined, he could easily show $80 million in losses for the program. Include bond service, cost per student subsidy, take away contributions and royalties. Voila.

Reaction Score
Wanting to increase revenue from non-tuition sources is, obviously, not shareful. It is the dog eat dog competition that bothers me. Non-profits are all, by law, supposed to sever the public good. That ought to mean you can't but non-profit competitors out of business just to marginally increase your position. And that's before you even get to the antitrust issues.

I'll give you an example. I forget where you teach, but let's say it's Buffalo. Would you really want Ohio State University to be able to say "we could make more money if we took over the market in western NY, so let's come in, open a branch of TOSU and then price tuition at a loss until we drive UB out of business. That's not right when a private business does it but you aren't more offensive when one organization that takes government money uses it to attack another organiztion that takes government money? Taxpayer interest shouldn't enter into what public institutions do?

I'm not accusing you of this, but I laugh when people say "I want government out of college football." Dude -- college football is 99% run by the government today. It's just run by various arms of various state governments.

All I'm saying is that the main mission is academics, and for the schools playing these cut-throat games, the academic mission is helped. The others should consider getting out of this wacky game altogether (something I believe would be wise for many schools). But, to answer your question more directly, universities do compete, locally and regionally, and they do put programs and schools out of business. The state will look at one school and say, Look, the school down the road also has a _______ department, we're not going to fund two of them. Close down your department/school. Or, as recently happened in my region, U. Buffalo's Law School suffered a 8 figure cut in one year. Meanwhile, the state funded a new law school for St. John's Fischer College, a private school, in Rochester. So, this already happens. Schools compete for limited resources.

There's a backstory to Nebraska getting kicked out the AAU. The AAU right now is not only not taking applications, but they are actively in the process of whacking a bunch of other schools. Those that perceive the AAU as some kind of prestigious organization must be scratching their heads and thinking, "Wow, those schools being dropped must have fallen in terms of academic rigor." The truth is, the AAU has always been a lobbying organization that doles out money to congressman who then go on to fund the national institutes and military research grants. The AAU schools have historically taken 50% of all awarded grants. So, what happens when the Federal Gov't cuts back on research (as it has) by 25%? The AAU suddenly gets the idea to start tossing schools from the ranks. Because of decreasing academic rigor? No. Because the money pie is being grabbed by a smaller subset of schools. The same thing going on in sports is going on in academics.

Personally, I think the AAU is a joke, and lobbying is an illness. But I wonder sometimes, given the people in office, how much we'd devote to research grants without lobbying.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Well if you feel that way, there's really only one thing to do:

AcpvmdtCMAETbBw.jpg

Picture borrowed from the 'eer board.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
With the NCAA approving the additional monies that could be distributed to scholarship athletes we should expect the universities to try and maximize revenues even more.

Reaction Score
With the NCAA approving the additional monies that could be distributed to scholarship athletes we should expect the universities to try and maximize revenues even more.

A logical conclusion. How else would a school compete for players if they're not offering the amount of money a school down the road is? In a similar position, I took double the cash at a lesser school for my grad work precisely because I realized that more cash meant more support for time to degree, less hassle. And I never regretted that decision one bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom