I still strongly believe Edsall is a terrible hire | The Boneyard

I still strongly believe Edsall is a terrible hire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I still strongly believe Edsall is a terrible hire, and much of it has nothing to do with the way he left. I don't care too much about how he left, I care more about how good of a coach he'll be and everything points to him being a below average coach thats on the decline.

Here are the facts:

1) Edsall is a career sub-.500 coach

2) Edsall in 16 years of coaching only has 1 win against a ranked team (1-26 overall record, one of the worst records amongst active coaches)

3) Edsall was a poor recruiter. Based on rivals class rankings here is where UConn ranked from 2007-2011:
- 2007: 68th
-2008: 73rd
-2009: 82nd
-2010: 93rd
-2011: Not even ranked in the top 100

He was a poor recruiter who was getting worse overtime while at UConn.

4) The whole "winningest coach ever at UConn" doesn't mean anything when he's also lost more games than any other coach at UConn

5) Based on his past, his ceiling is producing mediocre teams, and that was in a different era. The power run game will not be as successful in this day and age as it was 10 years ago.

6) Look at who the other AAC schools have hired as coaches. They routinely hire guys who are successful and play an exciting brand of football, so successful that the AAC overall has been coaching factory for top P5 schools. While we continually fire our coaches.

7) Edsall failed during his time at Maryland, and no other school wanted him, except of course UConn.

8) Being better than Diaco should never ever be the standard we should judge a hire on because any person who knows anything about football would be a better coach than Diaco.

So here we are, other schools in the AAC whose AD budgets are no where near as large as ours look to hire coaches that will get their football programs to not only play well but grab national attention while we are enthusiastic about a coach who can possibly get us back to .500 team.

The main reason why I am so disappointed with this hire is because this will cement our football team being behind the likes of UH, Cincy, UCF, USF and even Temple in the next conference realignment talks. We could go no worse than the Diaco era so Benedict had the perfect opportunity to go for an upcoming offensive guru, instead he went backwards.

Benedict needed to hit a homerun with this hire, and instead he bunted for a single.

I really hope that I am wrong but when we stop looking backwards and stop immersing ourselves in the nostalgia of previously having an 8-5 team, viewing the hire through an objective lens shows Edsall is a terrible hire.

He already has started off on the wrong foot by stating he will be splitting his time between Detroit and UConn, great sign for a guy who is really "invested" at UConn. A key recruiting time will begin in a few weeks and he won't even be here full time.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Per Athletic Director...Dave:

Randy can recruit, evaluate talent, instills confidence, is good for the State, wants to be a part of UCONN, can build a staff, has integrity and will win. And Randy will not be using UCONN as a stepping stone. And he'll know from Day 1 how to get things done.

And man, how about those women Huskies?

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I still strongly believe Edsall is a terrible hire, and much of it has nothing to do with the way he left. I don't care too much about how he left, I care more about how good of a coach he'll be and everything points to him being a below average coach thats on the decline.

Here are the facts:

2) Edsall in 16 years of coaching only has 1 win against a ranked team (1-26 overall record, one of the worst records amongst active coaches)

3) Edsall was a poor recruiter. Based on rivals class rankings here is where UConn ranked from 2007-2011:

4) The whole "winningest coach ever at UConn" doesn't mean anything when he's also lost more games than any other coach at UConn

5) Based on his past, his ceiling is producing mediocre teams, and that was in a different era. The power run game will not be as successful in this day and age as it was 10 years ago.

6) Look at who the other AAC schools have hired as coaches. They routinely hire guys who are successful and play an exciting brand of football, so successful that the AAC overall has been coaching factory for top P5 schools. While we continually fire our coaches.

7) Edsall failed during his time at Maryland, and no other school wanted him, except of course UConn.

8) Being better than Diaco should never ever be the standard we should judge a hire on because any person who knows anything about football would be a better coach than Diaco.

So here we are, other schools in the AAC whose AD budgets are no where near as large as ours look to hire coaches that will get their football programs to not only play well but grab national attention while we are enthusiastic about a coach who can possibly get us back to .500 team.

The main reason why I am so disappointed with this hire is because this will cement our football team being behind the likes of UH, Cincy, UCF, USF and even Temple in the next conference realignment talks. We could go no worse than the Diaco era so Benedict had the perfect opportunity to go for an upcoming offensive guru, instead he went backwards.

Benedict needed to hit a homerun with this hire, and instead he bunted for a single.

I really hope that I am wrong but when we stop looking backwards and stop immersing ourselves in the nostalgia of previously having an 8-5 team, viewing the hire through an objective lens shows Edsall is a terrible hire.

He already has started off on the wrong foot by stating he will be splitting his time between Detroit and UConn, great sign for a guy who is really "invested" at UConn. A key recruiting time will begin in a few weeks and he won't even be here full time.

Great win Geno had last night.

Reaction Score
Love the career sub .500 coach line, especially considering it's false when you take out his Yankee Conference years and the pre-Rentschler transitional years. Heck, if you include the last two transitional years, one of which was at Memorial, it's even more wrong.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score

Here are the facts:

What was your take on the PP and Diaco hires so I can base probability of your accuracy?

Reaction Score
Wow- pissing on the parade.

I really wish I could join in the parade. I was ecstatic when we fired Diaco like everyone else, but I lost much of my enthusiasm with the Edsall pick.

I absolutely knew that when I started this post most people would be angry, and would not look favorably on what I had to say. I get it, we just had to endure back to back eras of PP and Diaco, we are hungry for any good news regarding our football team, but viewing this objectively this is a bad hire.

So why even post about how this is a bad hire, because it was due to the fans that pushed Benedict to fire Diaco. The less objective we are in our view of Edsall the longer his leash will be. The signs are there that he will not be a very good coach and I hope fans will not ignore it and be objective so we don't have to give him a longer leash than PP or Diaco.

Are you serious? WTF?

Football drives the bus, other schools seem to understand that and look to hire coaches who will be homeruns. I absolutely believe that UConn should be on top of the list of expansion candidates, but the recurring theme was UConn's football did not offer what the other AAC school's football programs offered. We can't tell the P5 conferences "hey the other schools are racking up 9,10 win seasons and getting top 25 votes but at least we are consistently mediocre"

Let me guess: This clown is also pissed off at the basketball team

Nah. I love KO. He is the perfect coach for UConn. He has brought us a national championship already, brought in a top 10 recruit, and said from Day 1 that his dream school was UConn (not Maryland ;)). We are riddled with many injuries to our top players, any team would struggle if they suffered the same injuries.

Just.Go.Away.

Nope, I am not going away. I bleed blue, and I will always cheer for the program. I have a right to my opinion which I based on facts, and of course most of the responses to my OP didn't address any of the facts I laid out. It gives me no joy to start this post. I really, really hope I'm wrong. This will be the last post I write regarding Edsall until the results start coming in.

Many of you can continue to call me an idiot (this is the boneyard of course), but I care about the program and I don't take any of "witty" remarks (aka insults) to heart. Enjoy the New Years guys!

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I really wish I could join in the parade. I was ecstatic when we fired Diaco like everyone else, but I lost much of my enthusiasm with the Edsall pick.

I absolutely knew that when I started this post most people would be angry, and would not look favorably on what I had to say. I get it, we just had to endure back to back eras of PP and Diaco, we are hungry for any good news regarding our football team, but viewing this objectively this is a bad hire.

So why even post about how this is a bad hire, because it was due to the fans that pushed Benedict to fire Diaco. The less objective we are in our view of Edsall the longer his leash will be. The signs are there that he will not be a very good coach and I hope fans will not ignore it and be objective so we don't have to give him a longer leash than PP or Diaco.

Football drives the bus, other schools seem to understand that and look to hire coaches who will be homeruns. I absolutely believe that UConn should be on top of the list of expansion candidates, but the recurring theme was UConn's football did not offer what the other AAC school's football programs offered. We can't tell the P5 conferences "hey the other schools are racking up 9,10 win seasons and getting top 25 votes but at least we are consistently mediocre"

Nah. I love KO. He is the perfect coach for UConn. He has brought us a national championship already, brought in a top 10 recruit, and said from Day 1 that his dream school was UConn (not Maryland ;)). We are riddled with many injuries to our top players, any team would struggle if they suffered the same injuries.

Nope, I am not going away. I bleed blue, and I will always cheer for the program. I have a right to my opinion which I based on facts, and of course most of the responses to my OP didn't address any of the facts I laid out. It gives me no joy to start this post. I really, really hope I'm wrong. This will be the last post I write regarding Edsall until the results start coming in.

Many of you can continue to call me an idiot (this is the boneyard of course), but I care about the program and I don't take any of "witty" remarks (aka insults) to heart. Enjoy the New Years guys!

Do you think the coffee at Starbucks is really good? Would love to have your take.

Reaction Score
Bottom line is he got us to a point where we could expect to win 7-9 games a year and go to a bowl game. If you think we need to shoot higher that so be it, but throwing out records that include his Yankee conference time, or early years in FBS aren't really relevant anymore.

Reaction Score
Benedict answered this today with Gresh. In 5 years, if Edsall retires our profile could be that of a consistent winner. The last 2 hires have left us a consistent loser, and Diaco for a guy that had arrived with so much bluster and bombast had started to embrace the suck. Talking about how it was a losing program when he arrived. For that reason alone he had to go.

I don't think you're really appreciating how low we are at the moment. Worst team in a G5 league. We have to get back to respectability on the field. We lose 41-3, to a bad East Carolina team and the head bozo jumps on the mic and says we improved in 2 of 3 areas.

This wasn't a homerun but hopefully it's a stinging ground rule double that scores a run and keeps the line moving.

Also judge our recruiting by how many guys we put in the NFL and what you see on the field. No one is coming here and landing consistent 4 and 5 star players. Ain't happening.

Reaction Score
I was very unenthusiastic when I heard the news on Wednesday, but am feeling slightly more upbeat today.

Benedict wanted to stop the bleeding in terms of being a national laughingstock and he did that. With Edsall, the floor is much higher than it was with Diaco. He may be boring, but he won't actively embarrass the university the way Diaco did.

But that's also the problem: while the floor is high, the ceiling with Edsall is low, and may be too low to position us favorably in the next round of CR.

Reaction Score

Here are the facts:

Yes, but we were a D1AA team in 1A

So? Lets see what can happen NOW...

Excuse me, if his poor recruits were poor, why are they in the NFL, CFL and Arena?

When you are upgrading, you might lose to known teams...

Really??

We fire coaches who don't produce... besides FB, when did we fire any coaches? Since 1990, I think we had 1 coach for WBB, 2 for MBB, 2 for hockey, 2 for soccer. Most coaches leave UConn by retiring rather by firing.

So???

Should we dig up Walter Camp and hire him?

I thought it was a bad hire, but I changed my mind. I wanted a 'WOW' coach, but HCRE is going to wow the AAC.

Reaction Score
When it comes to the conference realignment speculation, I truly believe we don't need to be at the top of the conference to be the top expansion candidate. In term of academic reputation, location (for B1G and ACC), resources and overall athletic department, UCONN is the clear #1 choice. But, during the past 2 rounds, we have been arguably the worst football team out of all candidates. Having a competent football program on the rise is all we need to be the no-brainer choice for either of those 2 conferences.

Reaction Score
But that's also the problem: while the floor is high, the ceiling with Edsall is low, and may be too low to position us favorably in the next round of CR.
On this point I disagree. RE had us headed in the right direction to be positioned well for CR when he left. Of course there were so many other factors out of UConn's control that led to us being where we are now, but had RE stayed and we continued on as a solid 8-9 win team who regularly went to and won bowl games, there's a very strong argument to be made that we'd get in to the ACC over UL or even get into the B1G over RU. We wouldn't have gotten in when Pitt and SU left, but when UL got the lifeboat, we were coming off consecutive 5-win seasons and trending entirely in the wrong direction, making it a lot easier for Clemson and FSU to override the North Carolina basketball schools who wanted us instead.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
That's nice. It's also not worth much at this moment. He's a coach, not the Messiah. He'll win or he won't, but he instills a darn sight more confidence than the last two guys.

His job is the same as it was, win the conference as often as you can. Do it enough and a NY6 bowl will happen.

Reaction Score
I think the poster made many good points. However, I am in the wait and see mode just like many other fans. I hope in the 6 years away Randy learned:

1. Grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence.
  2. Hopefully, he will install an offense that will put up points. I would like to see a spread, but any offense that can score points would be fine. I can't take any more of UCONN scoring 10 points or less per game type of offense.
  3. Randy always had a solid defense. I hope he will put in more blitz packages vs. only bent don't break.
  4. I hope Randy will bring in some coordinators who can recruit better.
  5. Hopefully at minimal 8 wins a year in a conference like the AAC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom