I Really Used To Love This Time Of Year | The Boneyard

I Really Used To Love This Time Of Year

Reaction Score
Making plans and going to the BE tournament. Meeting up with friends and going to the best NY Deli’s and Italian bakeries with those cookies. In the old days they used to let you bring food into the Garden. Sometimes I even went without tickets and just stood at the entry while people from other schools got rid of them. thursday was my favorite day because it was 4 games and an all day and night affair. remember sitting in the stands next to God Shamgod as they awaited their game. And then Sunday regardless of the outcome usually, watching the seedings. Good times.

Reaction Score
Agreed, 5 times out of 6 (every once in a while Jim had that odd year out) this time of year was a blast! Even that once every six years or so, Uconn was, usually, at worst, on the (wrong side of the) bubble and would end up in the nit. Rarely was Uconn ever totally out of it before March. Two years running...

Reaction Score
I used to love going to the Garden for the Big East tourney. I was there for Ray's crazy game winner against Georgetown. We would always score tickets from fans of the teams who lost. The Blarney Stone was nearby and was a great place for food and drink. Big Red would lead cheers on the train on the way back to CT. Good memories.

Reaction Score
Making plans and going to the BE tournament. Meeting up with friends and going to the best NY Deli’s and Italian bakeries with those cookies. In the old days they used to let you bring food into the Garden. Sometimes I even went without tickets and just stood at the entry while people from other schools got rid of them. thursday was my favorite day because it was 4 games and an all day and night affair. remember sitting in the stands next to God Shamgod as they awaited their game. And then Sunday regardless of the outcome usually, watching the seedings. Good times.

Was a long time ago, but as I remember it back in the days there was a Sunday final followed by a rush to the bars to see the NCAA seedings, the four game day was Friday. Think it was a nine team conference: 8-9 guillotine game Thursday night, four game day/night on Friday, semis on Saturday night, Sunday final. Really the best arrangement, you could see the whole tourney burning only one vacation day.

Remember going into the bars before the Friday morning set and being kind of amazed to see a bunch of grey haired guys sitting around tables drinking pitchers of beer with the old college buddies before noon. Blinked twice and now I'm one of those guys.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Its what the last few years' of graduating students never got to experience. I feel terrible for them in that regard and also incredibly lucky that I got to experience it when I was a student.

Reaction Score
It makes me so happy that I got to go with my brother to our 4th UCONN final four in 2014 in Dallas. I think we both knew there was a chance we might never get back there in a long time if ever.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Literally one of the best things ever in sports.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I was only able to attend in person two Big East Tournaments. 2011 Semi over Cuse/2011 Final over Ville and then one earlier game when I was a little kid in the 90s, Georgetown PC I want to say.

With that said I remember growing up and watching every tournament with my Dad and just how great it was. Honestly felt bigger than the NCAA tournament at times.

I'm kind of numb to all the conference stuff but working 3 streets away from the Garden, and then seeing the Big East/Big Ten in town, it still really hits you.

Reaction Score
Was at MSG as a teenager in high school with my family for the 1996 comeback vs Iverson and Georgetown. The place was a madhouse. Went to the 1998 BET with my now deceased grandfather.

As a student, I came home from school for the weekend and watched the 2002 and 2004 championship games against PITT. Remember rushing up to McDonald's before it closed on a warm night before overtime started for both games. Remember thinking there was no better time of year. Remember driving around after both wins and listening to Joe D. It just made you feel good.

I had a job in 2011 that required me to work overnights and was sleeping during the day for the 2011 Quarterfinal vs Pitt. I went to bed thinking Pitt would have our number again. Instead I remember being woken from my sleep by my mom peeking her head into my room just staring at me. I remember thinking this must be good she would have never waken me up if they had lost. I said excitedly, What? "They won!!" What? "They won! At the buzzer!!" I leaped out of bed and turned on the TV to see the replay's of Kemba's ankle breaker.

I hope I am wrong. But the last 2 seasons feel like this is the end of that chapter of my life. I hope I am wrong. Everyday. Never felt happier than during those times. Fear we may never reach that level ever again due to a variety of circumstances.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom