I really need to change my thinking | The Boneyard

I really need to change my thinking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
and, like Susan H, become an optimist. But does that mean I have to stop being a Husky fan?

Conference realignment, FB, soccer losing to Creighton, BCU stealing our DC, and WM playing KO all are dismal. However Mens bb has been a pleasant surprise.

I almost wish I was an RU fan - where optimism abounds.

I don't know what can change my pov, maybe if a leading media personality began to champion UConn's conference situation that might help. Constantly plugging the fact that one of the top 20 athletic universities has no conference would be a start. Who is the person for the job? Jay Bilas, Bobby Knight?

i really need a shot of optimism, the other shots i have taken are not helping.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I understand the sentiment, but I'm tired of hearing about the soccer loss to Creighton being "dismal." Yeah, it stinks that we lost in the playoffs, but Creighton was a top10 team at the end of the season (ranked #8). They were one ranking spot below us (we were #7), which means the game was a coin toss. We lost the toss...

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/soccer-men/d1

Reaction Score
and, like Susan H, become an optimist. But does that mean I have to stop being a Husky fan?

Conference realignment, FB, soccer losing to Creighton, BCU stealing our DC, and WM playing KO all are dismal. However Mens bb has been a pleasant surprise.

I almost wish I was an RU fan - where optimism abounds.

I don't know what can change my pov, maybe if a leading media personality began to champion UConn's conference situation that might help. Constantly plugging the fact that one of the top 20 athletic universities has no conference would be a start. Who is the person for the job? Jay Bilas, Bobby Knight?

i really need a shot of optimism, the other shots i have taken are not helping.

Here's the agenda:
1. Spend the money to hire a football coach that will make us relevant nationally.
end of memo.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm tired of hearing about Creighton because it's college soccer - if you are a fan great - but it's about as relevant as the chess team.

I'd prefer Susan get as desperate as the fan base. Maybe she is and hides it / but it's time to fight for survival.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
the soccer issue is about 113 slots down on my list of things to do in the uconn ad. but when i get to it, im going to fix it. its pretty simple. u bring the coach in and ask him wtf is going on, what needs to be changed and what can we do to stop this cus elike postseason issues we go thru. give him the support he needs, maybe a new ast coach or something and go to work. if it continues, then i'll start looking for another coach and find the answer. i dont care how good teams like akron, creighton and drake are at soccer. my big flagship state school isn't going to lose to those schools year after year. this school honestly doesn't understand media/pr, it really doesn't. until i get the 112 things done first ahead of soccer, not my chair not my problem. this was a hfd dream ad post. carry on.

Reactions: pj

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I'm tired of hearing about Creighton because it's college soccer - if you are a fan great - but it's about as relevant as the chess team.

I'd prefer Susan get as desperate as the fan base. Maybe she is and hides it / but it's time to fight for survival.

Wow! The UConn chess team is drawing 4,000 people for home games?!? Nice... :rolleyes:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Wow! The UConn chess team is drawing 4,000 people for home games?!? Nice... :rolleyes:

Yes we know UConn soccer has some fans. It doesn't change their importance in the big picture.

The percentage of people that care about college soccer is so low it can't be measured. When I worked in radio there were stations in Hartford (WCCC cough) with ratings so few listeners they didn't get ratings. College soccer is right there.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Kudos to HFD to have on his agenda fixing a team that went to the Final 8. We need that fixed stat.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Yes we know UConn soccer has some fans. It doesn't change their importance in the big picture.

The percentage of people that care about college soccer is so low it can't be measured. When I worked in radio there were stations in Hartford (WCCC cough) with ratings so low they didn't get ratings. College soccer is right there.

First of all, the statement of "the percentage of people that care about college soccer is so low that it can't be measured" is a ridiculous one, and I'm sure you were doing it to make a hyperbolic point. It doesn't change the fact that there are tens of thousands who care about UConn soccer, which should be good enough as to not merit your disdain on a UConn chat board.

Secondly, the "big picture" (a.k.a., college realignment, since we are in the college realignment tab) is also not affected by college hockey (for more on that, see Rutgers and Maryland) or even to most people's shock, college basketball (for more on that, see UConn and Cincy). It doesn't mean that they aren't worthy of discussion, nor does it mean that all the "little pictures" don't have a cumulative effect to make the big picture....well....b1gger....:D.

Finally, I'm a UConn fan. If you are only a UConn football fan, or perhaps only a UConn football/basketball fan, well that's fine. You shouldn't feel the need to stifle others for talking about and supporting other UConn functions. The UConn campus police are well paid and well staffed already...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Kudos to HFD to have on his agenda fixing a team that went to the Final 8. We need that fixed stat.

See! If you only say stuff like this, we could be BFF's!!! ;)

pj

Reaction Score

We need a billionaire to endow the chess pavilion so that the Chess Hour on the UConn Network has a good looking studio / tourney venue. With luxury boxes overlooking the board. And free drinks for the gamblers.

I think we could recruit some decent Russian and Romanian masters if we lower admissions standards a bit.

Any one know how important chess is to the B1G?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

teams in my ad win championships. soccer in college is on the verge of becoming a bigger sport. u known this. if the mls gains more traction and becomes a big thing, uconn soccer has the chance to be on of the stud feeder programs. just imagine a uconn soccer game at the rent on day down the road on a thursday night or something with 20k in attendance. u want to build a culture in this state? think about the soccer fan population in ct, it may seem silly but it could be something down the road. no rock goes unturned in my ad.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
We need a billionaire to endow the chess pavilion so that the Chess Hour on the UConn Network has a good looking studio / tourney venue. With luxury boxes overlooking the board. And free drinks for the gamblers.

I think we could recruit some decent Russian and Romanian masters if we lower admissions standards a bit.

its actually the main reason notre dame chose the acc over the b1g. duke and bc have blueblood chess and nd sees itself like them. tosu has a solid chess team but they got caught cheating recently. one of the rooks on the team got caught signing chess boards for a guy selling them on amazon in exchange for some comic books.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

Ha! Could you imagine?!?

Announcer: And Robert Hungaski for UConn plays Knight to b6!!! The crowd is going wild!!! (in the background, you hear a drunk fat guy yelling, "Yeah, b!tch!!")
Color Commentator: I'll tell you what...I didn't see that coming. Robert normally loves to play the Ruy Lopez opening, but he completely breaks out of his shell and the Wisconsin player is stunned!!!
Announcer: You wonder how much pressure like this the Wisconsin Badgers can put up with....(in the background, Red is leading the "U...C....O....N......N......UConn!....UConn!....UConn!")

I'll tell you something. I'm buying tickets for that!!!

hungaski.jpg

Pictured above is Robert Hungaski (UConn '12), an Argentina native (born in Stamford, CT) who is an international chess master that helped lead UConn Chess to a first place finish in the college division of the World Amateur Team Championships. How you like them apples, Whaler???

pj

Reaction Score
hungaski.jpg

Pictured above is Robert Hungaski (UConn '12), an Argentina native who is an international chess master that helped lead UConn Chess to a first place finish in the college division of the World Amateur Team Championships.

I bet Warde Manuel didn't even tell Jim Delany about it!

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I bet Warde Manuel didn't even tell Jim Delany about it!

Warde was monitoring Robert's opening...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I feel like I should give Robert Hungaski his proper due, so here is a write-up on him:

http://www.clas.uconn.edu/mp-full.php?news_id=241

hungaski.jpg

He plays professionally now. He made the funny comment, "It's kind of like the NFL of chess, minus the padding, popularity and big paychecks."

While at UConn, Hungaski has achieved incredible success playing for the University's chess team. In February 2011, he led the team to a first-place win in the college division of the World Amateur Team Championship, the largest team competition in the world. In an interview with The Daily Campus Hungaski said that, to his knowledge, UConn had never attained this title before.

Way to represent the national flag blue and white, Robert!!! :)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
First of all, the statement of "the percentage of people that care about college soccer is so low that it can't be measured" is a ridiculous one, and I'm sure you were doing it to make a hyperbolic point. It doesn't change the fact that there are tens of thousands who care about UConn soccer, which should be good enough as to not merit your disdain on a UConn chat board.

Secondly, the "big picture" (a.k.a., college realignment, since we are in the college realignment tab) is also not affected by college hockey (for more on that, see Rutgers and Maryland) or even to most people's shock, college basketball (for more on that, see UConn and Cincy). It doesn't mean that they aren't worthy of discussion, nor does it mean that all the "little pictures" don't have a cumulative effect to make the big picture....well....b1gger....:D.

Finally, I'm a UConn fan. If you are only a UConn football fan, or perhaps only a UConn football/basketball fan, well that's fine. You shouldn't feel the need to stifle others for talking about and supporting other UConn functions. The UConn campus police are well paid and well staffed already...

I love ya Dan. I am going to break this to you gently. There are not tens of thousands of people who care about UConn soccer. There are barely tens of thousand of people who care about the fo0tball team.

I like small time college basketball. I go to dozens of NEC, MAAC and America East games every year. I fully understand that almost no one else cares. When I'm at the CT-6 watching Yale and Sacred Heart I laugh about how ridiculous it is. When I'm sitting through Binghamton and Stony Brook in the America East tournament I fully understand that there are more people who have wagered on the game elsewhere watching the score than in the building.

I fully support people who embrace the random sports they enjoy. Let's just not pretend anybody else gives a damn because they don't.

I root for UConn to win their field hockey, baseball, volleyball and cross country meets. If you told me the men's basketball team went 27-8 and the football team went 11-2 but everyone else lost every game they played... deal.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I love ya Dan. I am going to break this to you gently. There are not tens of thousands of people who care about UConn soccer. There are barely tens of thousand of people who care about the fo0tball team.

I like small time college basketball. I go to dozens of NEC, MAAC and America East games every year. I fully understand that almost no one else cares. When I'm at the CT-6 watching Yale and Sacred Heart I laugh about how ridiculous it is. When I'm sitting through Binghamton and Stony Brook in the America East tournament I fully understand that there are more people who have wagered on the game elsewhere watching the score than in the building.

I fully support people who embrace the random sports they enjoy. Let's just not pretend anybody else gives a damn because they don't.

I root for UConn to win their field hockey, baseball, volleyball and cross country meets. If you told me the men's basketball team went 27-8 and the football team went 11-2 but everyone else lost every game they played... deal.

Then you don't understand the amount of fans there are for soccer. Just because you say they aren't there doesn't mean they aren't there.

Let me put it another way; what percentage of a fanbase (regardless of what sport it is) would you say is typically represented by home field attendance? Because we average over 4,200 people per home game. I've also seen UConn men's soccer on both the Fox Soccer Channel as well as CBS Sports Channel. So if what you said was true (which it isn't, so I'm not worried), why the hell would sports channels put a product on a tv set that only 4,000 people gave a about?!? Exactly...

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...df/2012-13/misc_non_event/2012seasonstats.pdf

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Then you don't understand the amount of fans there are for soccer. Just because you say they aren't there doesn't mean they aren't there.

Let me put it another way; what percentage of a fanbase (regardless of what sport it is) would you say is typically represented by home field attendance? Because we average over 4,200 people per home game. I've also seen UConn men's soccer on both the Fox Soccer Channel as well as CBS Sports Channel. So if what you said was true (which it isn't, so I'm not worried), why the hell would sports channels put a product on a tv set that only 4,000 people gave a about?!? Exactly...

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...df/2012-13/misc_non_event/2012seasonstats.pdf

Dan I watched Windsor and Middletown play girls basketball on TV today - that is hardly the tipping point. I'm sorry that you are too close to it to understand it. NCAA soccer is like watching single A baseball. There are a handful of schools that have some fans - and kudos to UConn for being one of that handful but really nobody cares.

If you walked down any busy street in America and asked 1000 people to tell you who won the NCAA soccer title this year you'd be lucky to find one person who could answer.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Dan I watched Windsor and Middletown play girls basketball on TV today - that is hardly the tipping point. I'm sorry that you are too close to it to understand it. NCAA soccer is like watching single A baseball. There are a handful of schools that have some fans - and kudos to UConn for being one of that handful but really nobody cares.

If you walked down any busy street in America and asked 1000 people to tell you who won the NCAA soccer title this year you'd be lucky to find one person who could answer.

I'm not so close to it as to misunderstand it. I said there are tens of thousands of fans of UConn men's soccer, and I stand by that statement. Again, just because you don't think so doesn't mean there isn't. And you haven't answered my original question; what percentage of a fanbase does the average gate represent? Don't tell me that you believe the UConn football team fans max out at 40k, do you?!?

And it's not just tv. Hartford Courant writers write stories on the UConn men's team as well. Many more than they ever write about the UConn women's team (even though they have their loyal following as well, of which I am a part). So believe what you want. I KNOW that it's true, whether you like it or not...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom