I no longer blame Hathaway | The Boneyard

I no longer blame Hathaway

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
After substantial thought I've concluded that I have erred in placing the amount of blame that I have on Jeff Hathaway for the ineptitude of his tenure as athletic director here. Just as you cannot blame a turkey for being so stupid that it could drown by merely looking up at the rain, I have come to realize that I cannot place the blame for Hathaway's stupidity on Hathaway.

We need to begin with Philip Austin who (while I imagine was thinking only about his travels during the impending retirement) spent at most 45-50 seconds thinking about what to do once it was announced that Lew was headed to Kansas. When we needed a thorough, focused job search we instead went with the 'hey, that was easy' approach.

From here, we need to place sufficient blame on both Austin and his successor, Hogan. If an accounting manager under me spends a few days sitting ion his thumb, doing nothing (this is not even considering squandered opportunities that permeated JH's tenure), I could not allow this to last for eight days yet the president's that JH reported to allowed it to last for eight years.

JH was an imbecile, I am not refuting that. My point however is that there were people in position to recognize this who did nothing about it. It would be wrong to blame JH for being stupid just as it would be wrong to blame Muggsy Bogues for being short. Neither was the fault of the person afflicted with the shortcoming and I am confident that each if they had the ability to change things, would have eliminated that shortcoming (Bogues by adding about ten inches in height, JH by adding about 45 IQ points and quite a bit of imagination). It appears however that one person who did recognized the stupidity (McHugh) took full advantage of it to get his buddy hired. This move was borderline criminal and every taxpayer in the state should get together and file a class action suit (help me with this BL) for at a minimum a public apology (I would prefer a flogging but that may be beyond what the modern legal system would allow).

Reaction Score
I wondered why we hired the AD from Colorado State, then I heard he was Lew's right hand man. Whatever at this point. Lets just get this fixed.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Blaming doesn't fix the current situation that's the past we need to live in tomorrow

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Blaming doesn't fix the current situation that's the past we need to live in tomorrow

We may as well, today sure sucks.

I want to live in 2017.

Reaction Score
Austin of course was given another position of authority in the heirarchy of State education. Those folks must be thrilled.

Reaction Score
FCF is right about the leadership vacuum during the Austin/Hogan years. They were placeholders. The difference between them and Ms. Herbst is, quite frankly, staggering by comparison.

Reaction Score
After substantial thought I've concluded that I have erred in placing the amount of blame that I have on Jeff Hathaway for the ineptitude of his tenure as athletic director here. Just as you cannot blame a turkey for being so stupid that it could drown by merely looking up at the rain, I have come to realize that I cannot place the blame for Hathaway's stupidity on Hathaway.

We need to begin with Philip Austin who (while I imagine was thinking only about his travels during the impending retirement) spent at most 45-50 seconds thinking about what to do once it was announced that Lew was headed to Kansas. When we needed a thorough, focused job search we instead went with the 'hey, that was easy' approach.

From here, we need to place sufficient blame on both Austin and his successor, Hogan. If an accounting manager under me spends a few days sitting ion his thumb, doing nothing (this is not even considering squandered opportunities that permeated JH's tenure), I could not allow this to last for eight days yet the president's that JH reported to allowed it to last for eight years.

JH was an imbecile, I am not refuting that. My point however is that there were people in position to recognize this who did nothing about it. It would be wrong to blame JH for being stupid just as it would be wrong to blame Muggsy Bogues for being short. Neither was the fault of the person afflicted with the shortcoming and I am confident that each if they had the ability to change things, would have eliminated that shortcoming (Bogues by adding about ten inches in height, JH by adding about 45 IQ points and quite a bit of imagination). It appears however that one person who did recognized the stupidity (McHugh) took full advantage of it to get his buddy hired. This move was borderline criminal and every taxpayer in the state should get together and file a class action suit (help me with this BL) for at a minimum a public apology (I would prefer a flogging but that may be beyond what the modern legal system would allow).

Hathaway was the AD in waiting. He had what looked to be a very good stint at his training wheels job at Colorado State. He was Perkins protege. It all made complete sense.

Heck, the Kevin Ollie decision is almost the same type of situation, that looks to be a good one. It is still early.

The mistake is rarely the problem. Failing (or waiting too long) to fix the problem is usually the culprit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom