I need Cape Cod vacation advice | The Boneyard

I need Cape Cod vacation advice

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Im going to be in Providence in late June for work (I live in Reno/Tahoe) and my girlfriend and I are going to head to the Cape for 5 days of vacation afterwards. I’ve never been and honestly don’t know anything about the area. Any suggestions on areas to stay in, things to see, places to avoid?

We’re pretty active and enjoy hiking, biking, kayaking, etc but not adverse to sitting on the beach all day drinking booze. Our initial thinking was to spend a couple of nights around Falmouth and a few nights in Provincetown. Not sure how we came up with that plan or if it makes any sense. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Reaction Score
Im going to be in Providence in late June for work (I live in Reno/Tahoe) and my girlfriend and I are going to head to the Cape for 5 days of vacation afterwards. I’ve never been and honestly don’t know anything about the area. Any suggestions on areas to stay in, things to see, places to avoid?

We’re pretty active and enjoy hiking, biking, kayaking, etc but not adverse to sitting on the beach all day drinking booze. Our initial thinking was to spend a couple of nights around Falmouth and a few nights in Provincetown. Not sure how we came up with that plan or if it makes any sense. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Go to Wellfleet instead of Provincetown (and if you have to choose over Falmouth). You'll need bikes or a car w/sticker for Ocean beaches and the kettle ponds. Combo is great. I stayed at this B&B in 2016 which was fantastic.

About Us | The Wagner at Duck Creek

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

One place I like if you are beach minded is the Sea Crest in Falmouth. Hotels in Falmouth, MA | Cape Cod | Sea Crest Beach Hotel It's in North Falmouth, on Old Silver beach, one of the nicer beaches in the Cape. It's a private beach adjacent to a public one. They can bring you alcohol from the bar, they have an outdoor pool (saltwater) and indoor, sports bar, ice cream place, they set up chairs and umbrellas and provide towels. You can rent jet skis, paddleboards and other stuff. Not cheap, but it really feels like a vacation, and for you, you wouldn't need beach towels etc.

You could do that for say, two days, then maybe move down to the arm, and do more hiking, whale watches, hit the big ocean side beaches (don't get eaten), and do Provincetown etc.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Have spent many summers and many vacations on both the Cape and Vineyard. Personally I far prefer the Vineyard. Look for a place in Oak Bluffs. Check Surfside or Dockside, or VRBO or weneedavacation.com.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Have spent many summers and many vacations on both the Cape and Vineyard. Personally I far prefer the Vineyard. Look for a place in Oak Bluffs. Check Surfside or Dockside, or VRBO or weneedavacation.com.

In June it might be fine. In July and early August the Vineyard is such a madhouse. We stay free with friends who live there, and still don't go much. Unlike most of the Cape it just doesn't handle the influx of people as well. Beautiful though. I like Edgartown more than Oak Bluffs.

Reaction Score
Go to Wellfleet instead of Provincetown (and if you have to choose over Falmouth). You'll need bikes or a car w/sticker for Ocean beaches and the kettle ponds. Combo is great. I stayed at this B&B in 2016 which was fantastic.

About Us | The Wagner at Duck Creek

Wellfleet is more laid back preppy family oriented but very nice. Great food and art.

PTown is a seriously fun party town and a complete blast as long as are not homophobic.

My wife and I have had some really enjoyable times in both towns.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maybe Brewster...stay at the Linger Longer By The Sea - Brewster, Cape Cod Rental Cottages. Walk out on the Flats at low tide. Go to the Brewster Inn & Chowder House for the best Clam Chowder you ever had. Just chowder mind you the rest of the menu is so so.

Also, consider Block Island Rhode Island. Not as crowded and more idyllic. Not a party town like P-Town.

Stay here at the National Hotel:
3e6b888bc2a5892aa01d3724f6f15d0c.jpg

Reaction Score
we like Orleans for Nauset Beach, or Wellfleet for Marconi Beach. Provincetown is a lot of fun - don't miss it. Try Front Street Restaurant located right on Commercial Street near the parking available on the wharf. It's my favorite restaurant in the world.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Stay in Chatham. Go see the seals.

Don't get to the Sagamore (or the Bourne) any later than 7am.

The seal watch in Chatham harbor is eye opening. Not sure how many. 50,000? 100,000? Seems like you could walk across on their heads. Explains the White Sharks.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Maybe Brewster...stay at the Linger Longer By The Sea - Brewster, Cape Cod Rental Cottages. Walk out on the Flats at low tide. Go to the Brewster Inn & Chowder House for the best Clam Chowder you ever had. Just chowder mind you the rest of the menu is so so.

Also, consider Block Island Rhode Island. Not as crowded and more idyllic. Not a party town like P-Town.

Stay here at the National Hotel:
3e6b888bc2a5892aa01d3724f6f15d0c.jpg

I like the block. But it’s totally a decompression place. If you get bored easily block will kill you.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
The seal watch in Chatham harbor is eye opening. Not sure how many. 50,000? 100,000? Seems like you could walk across on their heads. Explains the White Sharks.

I didn't see quite so many the last time I went. Maybe a couple hundred. Still really cool to see them all, and during low tide you can walk within maybe 10 yards of them. But yeah, look out for the sharks. They're there.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I didn't see quite so many the last time I went. Maybe a couple hundred. Still really cool to see them all, and during low tide you can walk within maybe 10 yards of them. But yeah, look out for the sharks. They're there.

Oh I don't mean from the beach. They do a "seal watch" and take you into the harbor by boat. As you go out to the inner harbor side of the sand bar the numbers are staggering.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Not so much until August

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

Cal, I live in Truro in the summer (snowbird) and don't disagree with anything said so far. Are you renting a house or staying in hotel as there are a few in Ptown (none I would stay in in Truro) Wagner is ok in Wellfleet but I haven't stayed in it since it was the Duck Creek Inn and it wasn't good. We love the Red Inn which is all the way out in Ptown. In Truro The Blackfish is good and in Wellfleet either the Wicked Oyster or Mac's Shack are great. Mac's has a place on Shankpainter in Ptown which is good also but the ambiance in Wellfleet is great. I wouldn't stay in Falmouth. Chatham Bars Inn is always a good option. I doubt you will be swimming in the ocean in June so the sharks aren't really an issue. Try the bay beaches or kettle ponds if you really want to swim.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
In June it might be fine. In July and early August the Vineyard is such a madhouse. We stay free with friends who live there, and still don't go much. Unlike most of the Cape it just doesn't handle the influx of people as well. Beautiful though. I like Edgartown more than Oak Bluffs.
I like Chilmark, Gayhead and West Tisbury better than either, but as a place for a first-timer visiting for a few nights I think Oak Bluffs has a great mix of location, accessibility and character; and yes June is much different than July or August, when you really have to pick your spots. June is my favorite month there because it's like the calm before the storm. I'd expect him to spend some time checking out Edgartown, but I think Oak Bluffs is more fun at night and it is generally much more affordable than Edgartown. I don't recommend the beaches in Oak Bluffs because I am all about waves, but for everything else I prefer it as a place to stay. Spend your days at the beach in Katama, West Tisbury or Gayhead (or Chilmark if you are lucky) and then head back to Oak Bluffs.

In addition to the ones I mentioned above, also check out Madison Inn and Nashua House for affordable accommodations in Oak Bluffs.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Oh I don't mean from the beach. They do a "seal watch" and take you into the harbor by boat. As you go out to the inner harbor side of the sand bar the numbers are staggering.

Ooooooh, gotcha. Didn't know they did that. That's really cool.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Need to get back to the $5 a seal nose population culling. Cape has 50,000 of them. At our beach -Ballston 10 years ago I saw a half dozen seals a summer now I see a half dozen an hour. You Tube Truro shark attack at Ballston beach. I put a wetsuit on and my wife thinks I look like a chubby seal! If you must the biggest herd is at High Head north of Head of the Meadows. Hike in from the parking lot you will hear them and smell them before you see them.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I like Chilmark, Gayhead and West Tisbury better than either, but as a place for a first-timer visiting for a few nights I think Oak Bluffs has a great mix of location, accessibility and character; and yes June is much different than July or August, when you really have to pick your spots. June is my favorite month there because it's like the calm before the storm. I'd expect him to spend some time checking out Edgartown, but I think Oak Bluffs is more fun at night and it is generally much more affordable than Edgartown. I don't recommend the beaches in Oak Bluffs because I am all about waves, but for everything else I prefer it as a place to stay. Spend your days at the beach in Katama, West Tisbury or Gayhead (or Chilmark if you are lucky) and then head back to Oak Bluffs.

In addition to the ones I mentioned above, also check out Madison Inn and Nashua House for affordable accommodations in Oak Bluffs.

Agree on all counts. Our friends live in Edgartown (near the Jaws pond)...technically, but it's actually just as close to Oak Bluffs.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Peak Boneyard. Guy asks about the Cape and gets sent to the Vineyard. Just like when someone asked about Hartford restaurants, they got sent to New Haven. Or the guy looking for a getaway weekend 1.5-2 hours away, got sent to D.C and Philly.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Need to get back to the $5 a seal nose population culling. Cape has 50,000 of them. At our beach -Ballston 10 years ago I saw a half dozen seals a summer now I see a half dozen an hour. You Tube Truro shark attack at Ballston beach. I put a wetsuit on and my wife thinks I look like a chubby seal! If you must the biggest herd is at High Head north of Head of the Meadows. Hike in from the parking lot you will hear them and smell them before you see them.

Yeah, I'm all over the White Shark stuff. I even have the license plate and the app. Have friends in Truro too, and we used to stay at their place when I was a kid. The protection of pinnepeds has turned into a mess everywhere. They took over parts of Pier 39 in San Francisco, and are aggressive. Second sea lion attack in 24 hours in San Francisco Bay

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Peak Boneyard. Guy asks about the Cape and gets sent to the Vineyard. Just like when someone asked about Hartford restaurants, they got sent to New Haven. Or the guy looking for a getaway weekend 1.5-2 hours away, got sent to D.C and Philly.
Um, it's called the "Cape and Islands" for a reason. They are all right there. His tentative plan was to spend a few nights in Falmouth and that's where the Vineyard ferries depart. He might want to know of that option. For me, Falmouth is a quaint town but nothing more than a way station en route to the Vineyard because I can't imagine leaving my town for a shore vacation that is not on an ocean shore; Falmouth is on the Vineyard sound so you don't get any waves, and for me that's the same as going to the beach in my town, which I rarely do because I get antsy and bored just sitting on a beach if there are no waves.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom