I met Geno today... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I met Geno today...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I remember the first time I met him. UConn played at Wake Forest, and after the game, CD was in the stands chatting with fans (about 1,000 at the game with probably 700 of them being UConn fans). I introduced myself to her and asked if I could meet Geno. She agreed and took me to the back tunnel. CD introduced me to Geno and told him I was a Duke student who came to watch the game. Geno said, "You couldn't get into UConn and decided to go Duke. Tough life huh?" I couldn't help but laugh. He took a picture with me and thanked me for supporting the team.
At Duke, I met him again after the game. He came out of the locker room saying, "Where's my jacket? Who has my damn jacket?!" lol A few minutes later, I asked him to autograph the picture, which I had blown up to a 8x10, and explained I didn't want to bother him while he was looking for his jacket. He said, "Thanks. You're everywhere man!" He's very friendly and personable. Despite his big time celebrity status, he's one of the few coaches I've encountered who will take pictures and sign autographs for fans after games.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno is a very warm and genuine person. When you talk to him, you have his complete attention; his eyes don't wander around looking for someone more important nor does he try to edge out of the conversation quickly. I saw him speak patiently with a stuttering, adoring fan whose conversation was limited to rambling on about how much she loved him and the players and he was very gracious. People that make judgments on what Geno is really like based on his behavior during an intense competition on an irritably spoken comment during a presser are doing him a disservice.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Geno is a very warm and genuine person. When you talk to him, you have his complete attention; his eyes don't wander around looking for someone more important nor does he try to edge out of the conversation quickly. I saw him speak patiently with a stuttering, adoring fan whose conversation was limited to rambling on about how much she loved him and the players and he was very gracious. People that make judgments on what Geno is really like based on his behavior during an intense competition on an irritably spoken comment during a presser are doing him a disservice.
When I shook his hand at Bender Arena in 2010, Geno was signing autographs for anyone who wanted--and the audience ranged from pre-high school girls to senior citizens. I waited until they were all finished--it would have been unseemly to push them out of the way--and noticed that he was very patient and personable to each and every one. As we know, he also has a sense of humor, so he was joking with many of them, including a few wearing Phillies or Eagles jerseys. As an aside, if you have never seen Maya Moore play from down near the floor, you have missed a great experience. Her energy and explosiveness are awesome.

Reaction Score
He lives probably 2 miles from me and I often see him cruising by on his way to Storrs with the top down on his Mercedes. Cool.

Reaction Score
He lives probably 2 miles from me and I often see him cruising by on his way to Storrs with the top down on his Mercedes. Cool.

Life is good for our coach.

Reeeeeal good!:)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
a Mercedes... geesh, he's cheap :p

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I once saw Geno's face on a Taco shell. I put it on my mantel and lit a votive candle in front of it every day.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
So, you're in a really upscale neighborhood too. :)

Reaction Score
not a ritzy neighborhood at all. Nice big houses....not a 'rich' town, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom