I LUV YOU GABBY | The Boneyard

I LUV YOU GABBY

Reaction Score
I have been critical of Gabby in the past for passing up the open 15 footer. Over the past several games she has shown way more confidence in that shot and has made them. We are witnessing some finishing touches on a very , very special UConn career. Heart and soul of the Huskies !

Reaction Score
I have been critical of Gabby in the past for passing up the open 15 footer. Over the past several games she has shown way more confidence in that shot and has made them. We are witnessing some finishing touches on a very , very special UConn career. Heart and soul of the Huskies !

What's not to love...take a close look at her vertical here...

Attachments

• AirGabby.jpg
    AirGabby.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 741
Reaction Score
What an awesome pic - Maria must still be scratching her head and muttering "how does she do that?"
BTW, good thing she finally got the message on the 15 footer! :rolleyes:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

I've looked at the USF game twice. Each time I review a game, I look for and see different things. One thing that really stood out was the expressions on Gabby's face. You could really tell at times she was hurting, but she gutted it out. Gabby does not have a "poker face".

Before the game, it was thought that Gabby was really needed for UConn to win that game, and she wanted to play after sitting out the Cincinnati game. Gabby and the coaches know what her weaknesses are, and what her strengths are. No doubt she'll play to her strengths. Her shooting 15 footers (unless the shot clock is about to expire) is like Azure shooting 3's, neither are in the team's best interest. The percentage rate of success for those shots is very low.

If UConn is going to win #12, they are going to need Gabby Williams at full strength down the stretch (games 4,5 &6).
Hopefully Geno will play her in spots to keep the rust off and keep her involved. Perhaps he could start Stevens, and bring her off the bench in a reserve role. Less stress on her injury to be sure. The teams UConn will see in games 1-3 should not present a serious challenge to them.

The rubber hits the road in game #4, the regional final (the elite 8). All of the weak teams have been sent home by then. Only the power teams (and maybe one dark horse) are left scratching and clawing each other to see who advances to the final four. Geno has said many times that the elite 8 game in his opinion, is the most difficult. THAT'S when Gabby will be needed most.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I really don't care if she shoot them 15 footer.
All I care is she's on the floor. Don't know what why but it gives me comfort.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Quoting Geno, “If Gabby makes 52% of her jump shots, nobody can beat us.”

I'm not sure that I've been seeing things correctly, but recently her foul-line jumper has looked effortless and smooth— and successful. This is only a theory, but . . . her injury might be making her levitate with less effort, less "clench," which can relax her entire shooting mechanism, make it more like her foul shots, which are easy and in-sync. In most cases, when she is at or just behind the foul line looking to pass, the defense lays off her to stop the pass or the drive, so she doesn't need much, if any, elevation.

Just a thought.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm not sure that I've been seeing things correctly, but recently her foul-line jumper has looked effortless and smooth— and successful. This is only a theory, but . . . her injury might be making her levitate with less effort, less "clench," which can relax her entire shooting mechanism, make it more like her foul shots, which are easy and in-sync. In most cases, when she is at or just behind the foul line looking to pass, the defense lays off her to stop the pass or the drive, so she doesn't need much, if any, elevation.

Just a thought.
Agreed. When Gabby catches and shoots in an easy motion she’s much more effective.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom