I Know This Much Is True | The Boneyard

I Know This Much Is True

Reaction Score
A long time ago a girlfriend left this book at my house and I started the book. Literally couldn't put it down. If that hadn't happened I probably wouldn't have ever heard of it and definitely wouldn't watch the miniseries.

I've enjoyed the miniseries. Mark R. is did a great job. But I feel like 6 episodes isn't enough to do the story justice. They could literally do an entire episode with just the Grandfather's story.

Anyone else watching this? Thoughts?

Reaction Score
I'm really enjoying the series, and i loved the book when it came out. Wally Lamb is kind of a local celebrity...he taught at UConn. Ruffalo is superb playing both he and his twin brother, and I think Rosie Odonnell is surprisingly good.

Reaction Score
I'm really enjoying the series, and i loved the book when it came out. Wally Lamb is kind of a local celebrity...he taught at UConn. Ruffalo is superb playing both he and his twin brother, and I think Rosie Odonnell is surprisingly good.

Rosie is stealing scenes. Massive props.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I will give it a shot.

Rosie O'Donnell is a surprisingly good actress. She is definitely one of those "what if" actresses where you wonder if she could have been a huge star if she had just wanted it more. She was great in SMILF.

I think O'Donnell made enough money early, and liked the talk show gig and was getting paid and didn't give a scaleeto about being an actress. Personally, I am much more interested in her acting than I am in her opinions on whatever talk shows she has been on.

Reaction Score
My brother is schizophrenic, and honestly I'm nervous to watch it. Feel like it will open some old wounds. I will though on days I'm mentally prepared to take a gut punch. I remember crying in the theaters watching Beautiful Mind. Always glad to see the issue getting exposure. Happy to see Ruffalo doing it.

Reaction Score
The compassionate love that Dominic (Ruffalo) has for his twin brother Thomas is beautifully played on screen. I know I'm an old geezer but I cried several times watching this series. Final episode tomorrow night.

Reaction Score
My brother is schizophrenic, and honestly I'm nervous to watch it. Feel like it will open some old wounds. I will though on days I'm mentally prepared to take a gut punch. I remember crying in the theaters watching Beautiful Mind. Always glad to see the issue getting exposure. Happy to see Ruffalo doing it.

Yeah. My wife refuses to watch this show. I don't want to give anything away but Dominic has been dealt a rough hand in life. The brother aspect isn't the only hardship Dominic faces. The story is a gut punch.

Having read the book, I knew what was coming so I was prepared.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Rosie O'Donnell is a surprisingly good actress. She is definitely one of those "what if" actresses where you wonder if she could have been a huge star if she had just wanted it more. She was great in SMILF.
She was good in League of Their Own.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
She was good in League of Their Own.

And Beautiful Girls, which is one of my favorite movies of the 90's. That movie is awesome, but the age issues of the cast were a little distracting in the beginning of the movie. I like Timothy Hutton, but he was an old looking 36 and he looked about 15 years older than Rappaport's character even though they are playing the same age. I actually was confused about their relationship in the beginning of the movie the first time I saw it because there was such an obviously huge age difference. But Hutton was perfect for his part, and Rappaport was perfect for his part, so it looks like the producers just said "scaleeto it" and casted who they wanted. The movie is so awesome that it ends up not mattering.

O'Donnell was great in that movie. O'Donnell is nails on chalkboard grating to watch and listen to in every real life setting I have seen, and many people who start as stand up comedians are terrible actors (see Jerry Seinfeld). But there is no question that she has a gift for acting.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Mark Ruffalo crushed it, but I think that the young actor playing the twins during their college years is even better.

Great story, I agree that they could have done even more on the grandfather's story.

Also, written by a Connecticut author, Wally Lamb, and "sorta" set in Norwich, CT.

"Three Rivers" is Norwich, at least that's how I perceived it.

Reaction Score
Not going to cover the difference between the book and the series. I will say that the book version is much less ambiguous and much more cathartic.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom