I know I know they are no moral victories... | The Boneyard

I know I know they are no moral victories...

Reaction Score
...BUT we have a team to work with. Who on Earth thought the frosh QB from Canada would get the start????
Yeah, we lost but we've shown we can move the football in the air. We still need work on converting TDs in the red zone.
AND shout out to our D. We're light years better than whatever it was the past 2 years. Although we still can't afford to miss tackles in big spots.

Lastly, guys, I gotta tell ya, if our O didn't take off the majority of the 2nd quarter we might be calling this a W instead a L

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They didn't get obliterated. Had a shot late in the 4th, played a meaningful 4th quarter against a P5 for the first time in ...a long time. Maybe not moral, but close to it, will take it as long as it is a stepping stone. Weren't blown out by 20+, held a team under 35 (not counting URI) since like 2017.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
...BUT we have a team to work with. Who on Esrth thought the fresh QB from Canada would get the start????
Yeah, we lost but we've shown we can move the footballin the air. We still need work on converting TDs in the red zone.
AND shout out to our D. We're light years better than whatever it was the past 2 years. Although we still can't afford to miss tackles in big spots.

Lastly, guys, I gotta tell ya, if our O didn't take off the majority of the 2nd quarter we might be calling this a W instead a L

To be fair the D took off the second quarter. 24 points.

However, it's not like Edsall ever makes an adjustment before halftime.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I've never been a moral victory guy either but I watched a complete UConn Football game for the 1st time in 3 years today and I think we found our QB of the future. Throw in some flashes of dominance and TO's by the D and you have the 1st time I'm getting drunker after a game in 8 years and it's not so I forget what I just witnessed.

Reaction Score
Certainly lots of positive things today. Went toe to toe with a Big 10 team that I though was more athletic than us, but we hung in there with issue still in doubt till almost the very end.

Reaction Score
There are no moral victories. But real is real, and we really would have lost that game by 60 last year.

Who starts at QB next week? Kid threw 2 picks, but considering the situation, I don't see how you bench him now.

Reaction Score
Played some real football for first time in years. D was pretty damn solid given where we’ve been. New QB has game, but needs to learn to get rid of the ball and avoid the bad balls. Got to be happy with today’s game ...Edsall O cost us some chances.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
There are no moral victories. But real is real, and we really would have lost that game by 60 last year.

Who starts at QB next week? Kid threw 2 picks, but considering the situation, I don't see how you bench him now.

Kid's a true freshman and made his share of mistakes. But his poise and control of the offense more than made up for the errors in my mind. The young man also made maybe 6-8 throws we haven't seen since DO. Henry's drop on that perfectly thrown ball was a momentum changer but far from why we lost today. Learn and move on to Indiana in 2 weeks. At least we see some progress and have a few stones in the foundation.

Reaction Score
Surprised ! Lots to critique if they were an established program. Tackling was awful. Running game never got running. Couldn’t score TD’s in the red zone.
But this was really the first time they appeared to take a step forward towards developing a program. Lots of young guys contributed. Should pick up a few more wins this year and next year should be more than respectable.

Reaction Score
  • The game came down to the very last set of downs so congrats to UConn for making it a game vs the B1G
  • The D still needs to get faster and tackle better but... They had sacks and created turnovers vs the B1G. They are improving.
  • Despite the pregame distractions, losing your starting QB and the head coach's personal loss, they still competed.
  • Yeah Zergoitis made a few mistakes but he also threw quite a few good passes. Too bad some of the real yardage gainers were dropped by the receivers. This game could have easily been 34-31 UConn and the running game could have opened up more had those dropped passes been caught. Give Ardell Brown credit for playing hurt.
Good game UConn!! Your getting better. Now go kick some Hoosier butt!

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Can you help me make sense of this?

Maybe we had some new weapons this week and the entire team is learning, growing and getting better? , I'm not re-upping my season tickets based on today but I'm not miserable like usual. What I'm most concerned with is the rushing game. I didn't even realize we only had 18 yds total late in the 3rd until the announcers called it out. We were in the game the whole time and I had forgotten what that was like so I didn't even notice the lack of a run game. On another note, that second effort by Mensah to get into the endzone earned him lifelong respect from me.

I know you lost some scratch and I take no pleasure in that. But let the rest of us enjoy our Saturday night for a few hours.

Reaction Score

The fumble off his leg too, but he's our QB no question about it. I haven't seen a UConn true freshman QB scramble out of the pocket and, on the run, throw a dart downfield to his receiver in a long long time. Maybe Cochran, but that's ages ago.

Reaction Score
They looked like a football team this week. Did they make some mistakes? Absolutely. But promising young players, made some big plays and were in it til the end. Let these guys build some confidence and they'll pull off another few wins this year. First time I really felt like I could see Edsall's process playing out. Trust the process.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Maybe we had some new weapons this week and the entire team is learning, growing and getting better? , I'm not re-upping my season tickets based on today but I'm not miserable like usual. What I'm most concerned with is the rushing game. I didn't even realize we only had 18 yds total late in the 3rd until the announcers called it out. We were in the game the whole time and I had forgotten what that was like so I didn't even notice the lack of a run game. On another note, that second effort by Mensah to get into the endzone earned him lifelong respect from me.

I know you lost some scratch and I take no pleasure in that. But let the rest of us enjoy our Saturday night for a few hours.

I think you just misread my post. I complimented Edsall’s progress and pointed out that Lovie Smith is a terrible coach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom