I know Boatright is pretty small.... | The Boneyard

I know Boatright is pretty small....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
But how the hell was he ranked in the 70's?

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=4&pid=88&cfg=bb&yr=2011

He has an excellent handle, he's very quick, he can shoot and he seems to have a very good basketball IQ. I don't care that his NBA potential might be low because of his size. The kid can play and is making a huge impact already.

Two years in a row UConn might have gotten the best steal of lower ranked recruits in the country. Unbelievable.

Reaction Score

He has an excellent handle, he's very quick, he can shoot and he seems to have a very good basketball IQ. I don't care that his NBA potential might be low because of his size. The kid can play and is making a huge impact already.

Two years in a row UConn might have gotten the best steal of lower ranked recruits in the country. Unbelievable.

You are forgetting his #1 asset. He plays at a speed that not many people can match, and does it completely, 100% in control.

incredibly impressive...

Reaction Score
the fact that someone like Quinn Cook was ranked higher than him is laughable. All you have to do is watch them for 5 minutes and see Boat is a much better player.

Reaction Score

One of the great things about Calhoun is that this seems to be the case frequently.

Reaction Score
Rivals was the only one who got it right they had him at 42 i believe. I remember asking the guys at scout how they ranked Boatright behind Jabarie Hinds just silly.

Reaction Score
I don't care if he's 5'11", because a kid called Iverson had a decent NBA career and 2 games in we don't even know his upside. He will play at the next level I predict.

Reaction Score
I think that that any player named CPOY out of the Chicago area should automatically be in the top 50.

Reaction Score
the fact that someone like Quinn Cook was ranked higher than him is laughable. All you have to do is watch them for 5 minutes and see Boat is a much better player.
Dear Aceboon; I'm surprised you made this comment,,,, anyone who really knows College BB knows that a Duke recruit is obviously better. :cool:

Reaction Score
I think that that any player named CPOY out of the Chicago area should automatically be in the top 50.

I think he was the state player of the year for all of Illinois, no?

Reaction Score
He was co mr.basketball with Chasson Randle. Chicago Sun times was given to Wayne Blackchear.

Reaction Score
Thank god for him - because this team is playing lazy overall. They look complacent. Jeremy is always going to look like he smoked a bone - he's effortless, but doesn't bring a whole lot of zazz to the floor. Shabazz is a bit whimsical. RB is just a jolt of electricity.

Reaction Score
One of the great things about Calhoun is that this seems to be the case frequently.

Indeed. Especially if you think about guys like Cleveland Melvin and Maurice Harkless also playing better than their rankings.

Reaction Score
Calhoun just knows talent... whether the kid has displayed it in high school or not, when you land at UConn Calhoun will bring out the best in a player

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score

I very much prefer him to Marquis Teague who was rated top PG and #7 overall...much better BBIQ!

Reaction Score
You are forgetting his #1 asset. He plays at a speed that not many people can match, and does it completely, 100% in control.

incredibly impressive...

The amount of control he has is impressive especially compared to Kemba Walker when he turned it on. Let's not forget, Kemba as a young'n was often not in control and drew a lot of charges because of it. I am insanely impressed by Boatright's control thus far. He will be an incredible player for us.

Reaction Score
I don't mean to take anything away from JC as far as his eye for talent, but getting RB was close to dumb luck. UConn was going hard after a bunch of other PGs harder than RB. It was partly due to Ryan's luke warm interest in UConn until he got p*ssed off when Huggy Bear took Jabari Hinds verbal shortly after his verbal to WVU. Now with that said, it doesn't mean that JC wouldn't have preferred him over Hinds and other PGs he had seen. It might have been that there were too many other programs higher on RB's list.

Regardless to all this, it looks like we might have the best 2011 PG. Props to JC and his staff for getting it done with him regardless to the path they took.

Reaction Score
Totally agree dog. We lucked into Boatright. Who was vastly under recruited.

Reaction Score
Agree with DM, UConn wasn't even going after Boat until Hinds verballed to WVU.

Reaction Score
He wasn't getting a ton of interest from ACC teams, which means the Scout guys probably never bothered to watch him.

Reaction Score
His list was like Providence Depaul Miami and West Virgina. Big ten stayed clear and ACC. I think a huge part of it was he didnt play in a ton of AAU tournaments. The D-Rose allstars were a new team and a adidas team so they didnt get to play in the Nike stuff.

Reaction Score
His list was like Providence Depaul Miami and West Virgina. Big ten stayed clear and ACC. I think a huge part of it was he didnt play in a ton of AAU tournaments. The D-Rose allstars were a new team and a adidas team so they didnt get to play in the Nike stuff.
I'm not nearly as knowledgeable about recruiting as you are, but I know that Tim Floyd took a recruitment from Boatright when he was an eighth grader. I would think that alone would put him on coaches' radars, regardless of how much AAU ball he played.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm not nearly as knowledgeable about recruiting as you are, but I know that Tim Floyd took a recruitment from Boatright when he was an eighth grader. I would think that alone would put him on coaches' radars, regardless of how much AAU ball he played.
I think that the eighth grade Floyd recruitment may have concerned enough people that it ended up hurting his later recruitment (didn't he also verbal somewhere as a HS junior?).

One thing that may sound sacreligous here is that at the same point in their careers RB seems further along than Kemba was.

Reaction Score
I think that the eighth grade Floyd recruitment may have concerned enough people that it ended up hurting his later recruitment (didn't he also verbal somewhere as a HS junior?).

One thing that may sound sacreligous here is that at the same point in their careers RB seems further along than Kemba was.
Not sacrilegious. One of the best things about Kemba was how hard he worked to improve his game. Did any of us think that Kemba would be in the discussion of all time greats his freshman year? It's only 2 games for RB but it appears he will have a bigger impact as a freshman than Kemba

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom