I Just Love This Team | The Boneyard

I Just Love This Team

Reaction Score
It has been a very long and difficult season. Perhaps the toughest ever considering the pre-season expectations and talk of unmanageable depth with the POY returning. Looking back, there were times, like after the Oregon loss, where never in my wildest dreams did I think that we would become the team we have. Something happened along the way though. First it was Caroline with that poker face and dagger against DePaul, then it was Evina going to the bench, then it was Azzi slaying the Vols, and then the loss in conference to Villanova and the very bottom. It seemed as though we would never be able to be more than the team that involuntarily ended very old and very venerable streaks.

But every time a player returned, the team became better not just by addition, but, in an almost preternatural way, by multiplication. The intensity increased not proportionally, but for the team as a whole. And now, you cannot help but just love this team. So unselfish, so many weapons, with each of the players having their own journey and emerging as a different version of themselves as a player. Christyn has become a stronger, more confident offensive player and a top notch defender. Liv has also become an assist maker at the center position. Dorka has become a smart passer and excellent 3 point threat. Evina has become this all around weapon with a new found speed and offensive confidence who can defend, lead and command respect. Aaliyah is getting better every game and her defense is punishing, just ask Ms. Seigrist. Nika has emerged as not only a recognized great defender but a 3 point shooter. CD is now a tough defender and an all around scorer, from 3, posting up, pulling up, driving, cutting and not having any, and I mean any, freshman reticence. Azzi is now a game changer, a pure shooter, a driver, and a smart and tight defender. And Paige, she is the last piece of the puzzle to go into place and that story is still not near its end this season but her return alone has been cathartic.

The point is that everyone has changed, evolved, refocused and rededicated individually as a player and now as a team. They are just a hell of a lot of fun to watch now. Knowing what they have gone through, the pressure, the doubts, the personal setbacks and losses, the injuries and the sickness,
I am amazed at where we are now. It would have been very easy to go through the motions for the rest of the season. Of course, that would not have been UCONN. I suppose that is the point here. They have become a UCONN team, playing UCONN defense, passing the UCONN way, and having fun. Honestly, I am sorry we have so few games left. Every game now that we have everyone back except Aubrey, there is something new and different, something better.

We are fans and of course we love our team. But this team, knowing what they have been through and seeing what they are now, tugs at your heart in a way no other one ever has.

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
It has been a very long and difficult season. Perhaps the toughest ever considering the pre-season expectations and talk of unmanageable depth with the POY returning. Looking back, there were times, like after the Oregon loss, where never in my wildest dreams did I think that we would become the team we have. Something happened along the way though. First it was Caroline with that poker face and dagger against DePaul, then it was Evina going to the bench, then it was Azzi slaying the Vols, and then the loss in conference to Villanova and the very bottom. It seemed as though we would never be able to be more than the team that involuntarily ended very old and very venerable streaks.

But every time a player returned, the team became better not just by addition, but, in an almost preternatural way, by multiplication. The intensity increased not proportionally, but for the team as a whole. And now, you cannot help but just love this team. So unselfish, so many weapons, with each of the players having their own journey and emerging as a different version of themselves as a player. Christyn has become a stronger, more confident offensive player and a top notch defender. Liv has also become an assist maker at the center position. Dorka has become a smart passer and excellent 3 point threat. Evina has become this all around weapon with a new found speed and offensive confidence who can defend, lead and command respect. Aaliyah is getting better every game and her defense is punishing, just ask Ms. Seigrist. Nika has emerged as not only a recognized great defender but a 3 point shooter. CD is now a tough defender and an all around scorer, from 3, posting up, pulling up, driving, cutting and not having any, and I mean any, freshman reticence. Azzi is now a game changer, a pure shooter, a driver, and a smart and tight defender. And Paige, she is the last piece of the puzzle to go into place and that story is still not near its end this season but her return alone has been cathartic.

The point is that everyone has changed, evolved, refocused and rededicated individually as a player and now as a team. They are just a hell of a lot of fun to watch now. Knowing what they have gone through, the pressure, the doubts, the personal setbacks and losses, the injuries and the sickness,
I am amazed at where we are now. It would have been very easy to go through the motions for the rest of the season. Of course, that would not have been UCONN. I suppose that is the point here. They have become a UCONN team, playing UCONN defense, passing the UCONN way, and having fun. Honestly, I am sorry we have so few games left. Every game now that we have everyone back except Aubrey, there is something new and different, something better.

We are fans and of course we love our team. But this team, knowing what they have been through and seeing what they are now, tugs at your heart in a way no other one ever has.

Like your style.

Reaction Score
Let's put it this way: The only chance my wife and I had to see the team in person this year was at Georgia Tech, in what might have been the worst game played by a UConn women's basketball team in a decade. Now, I understand there were very good reasons they played the way they did, but boy, were we bummed. We watched the next games like everyone else, wondering if the few healthy players could form some sort of cohesive unit. And there were the downs that followed the ups, as more players got hurt or sick and new lineups were tried out.
And now, somehow, they are a lot better, and may be stronger for the experience.

I'm not ready to say they can get to the Final Four, especially if they have to play a Top Four team to get out of their region, but you have got to love this team. They've been nothing short of inspiring this year.

Reaction Score
The thing that the Huskies give to all of us is hope. Thru the pandemic we all hoped it would end or that we would not get sick or our friends and family were safe. We all hoped they would win another championship with the new recruits on board, we had a lot to look forward too.
Then the season started and things didn't go as planned. A early loss to our new arch rivals the SC Dawn Staley physical, tough Gamecocks after an early lead in the game. Then Aubrey was out for the season and Azzi was on the bench in a boot. Paige went down and boom we were in trouble. Dorka seemed lost in the new schemes for her. Aaliyah was not the same and was walking and missing layups.
Then the emergence of Caroline as our go to scorer happened. Sure she was jacking them up and taking our most shot per game but somebody had to as our seniors were not stepping up to the task. Caroline has no conscience about shooting. She was the Silent assasin. The team now knew she could cut thru the paint and get position and call for the ball almost demanded it and would score most of the time. She would run screens and take 3 point shot or drive and make the pull up jumpers. Wow we had ourselves a player.
We were still playing with only six and it was hard to pressure other teams because we could not foul or Amari might have had to play PG. Geno would faint. He was looking distraught at times with our play on the sidelines.
CD had to end up coaching and think things changed a little after that.
We struggled but were pulling out some wins.
Azzi finally came back and was asked rather quickly to become the number 1 recruit from her HS class rather quickly. All of of sudden the boneyard realized she was not only a good shooter but a great defender, back door cutter, rebounder, and on ball defender and help defender as well. Wow we had another player.
Someone had to go to the bench and Evina became that person and we all know what a difference that has made in her game. Faster, better defender, and more confidence in her slashing and 3 point shooting. Wow, we now have a really game changing bench player. Dorka and Aaliyah starting playing well and Christyn starting hitting her 3 point shots and here we are at the verge of something Big and we now have our best cheerleader back to complete this journey. Our hope is restored again.

Reaction Score

Very well put, @BBallF !

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom