OT: I just got a wonderful phone call. . . | The Boneyard

OT: I just got a wonderful phone call. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
. . . from a HS senior in Westport who informed me that he had just secured a nomination for admission to the US Military Academy at West Point from Congressman Jim Himes. Earlier, he received one from Senator Joe Lieberman.

This young man was a co-captain of the successful Staples football team that played for the state championship. The team had several more skilled players but no better leaders. He caught only four passes all season but one was on Thanksgiving vs. Greenwich with 1:21 to play to give Staples a 31-27 victory.

This fine young man was born in an eastern European country and put up for adoption. A very close friend and his wife took him into their family and the boy is utterly dedicated to "giving back" something to our country as his way of saying thanks.

I was honored and thrilled to take his call which was so characteristically generous of him because the little assistance I provided was by no means what carried the day for him.

I did send Jim Himes a note to congratulate him for doing his duty.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Awesome. Congrats to him and a BZ to you for helping. Success stories like this never get the attention they should.

On a different note. The young man will no doubt become a fine young officer. However, he could be a Heisman candidate and Navy would still kick Army's ass. :D

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Life is filled with the beat of butterfly wings, Kib. We never know the impact some small action may have played out across life and the globe. Sometimes the blessings come home when we are allowed a glimpse of what can be.

Reaction Score
Life is filled with the beat of butterfly wings, Kib. We never know the impact some small action may have played out across life and the globe. Sometimes the blessings come home when we are allowed a glimpse of what can be.
Sometimes in life we get immediate feedback from others re the impact we have on them! Most of the time we do not know
that we have really helped others. Help others w/o looking for that impact! Believe that we do help others whether we know it or not:)

Reaction Score
. . . from a HS senior in Westport who informed me that he had just secured a nomination for admission to the US Military Academy at West Point from Congressman Jim Himes. Earlier, he received one from Senator Joe Lieberman.

This young man was a co-captain of the successful Staples football team that played for the state championship. The team had several more skilled players but no better leaders. He caught only four passes all season but one was on Thanksgiving vs. Greenwich with 1:21 to play to give Staples a 31-27 victory.

This fine young man was born in an eastern European country and put up for adoption. A very close friend and his wife took him into their family and the boy is utterly dedicated to "giving back" something to our country as his way of saying thanks.

I was honored and thrilled to take his call which was so characteristically generous of him because the little assistance I provided was by no means what carried the day for him.

I did send Jim Himes a note to congratulate him for doing his duty.
That is great news:) You often do not know immediately or ever the impact we have had on others! It is nice when we get feedback,but the giving to others has so much more importance than we ever know! Is is giving forward! Imagine if we all did this;)

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Wow, great news, thanks for sharing that Kib.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom