I hope we keep TJ, Foley and Shane Day | The Boneyard

I hope we keep TJ, Foley and Shane Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Maybe Weist ends up with Brian Kelly in ND....

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think this is a test for Diaco. The new guy completely cleaning house is a sign of weakness in my experience. He doesn't need to keep TJ, but if he doesn't make a hard run at Foley, I will be concerned.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I hope all three have the chance to keep their jobs and if they interview well with Diaco all the better.

This is a casualty of coaching change though. Without picking anyone of the three out, I highly doubt all three get retained.

Nelson hit on it a bit. The hiring of his staff is everyone's first look at how Diaco will perform as a coach. Building a staff, administrating a staff and delegating authority are all key indicators of how he will do as a coach. Recruiting style and in-game adjustments are most of the rest.

Reaction Score
In situations such as this, its unlikely TJ stays on. He did a great job under tough circumstances and put UCONN in a much better place than it was just a few weeks ago. It would make me very happy to be wrong. If I was Bowling Green, I would make him an offer. I don't know if they can afford him, but he deserves to land somewhere were good.

Reaction Score
I would keep TJ. He deserves another shot based on the debacle that was 2013. Everyone else is fair game, but I think Diaco should clean house, start fresh.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
I would keep TJ. He deserves another shot based on the debacle that was 2013. Everyone else is fair game, but I think Diaco should clean house, start fresh.

Hired a defensive coach is the perfect setup to keep TJ as OC. Keep the continuity in the offense for the new guy. If this happens, it will be a MAJOR WIN for UConn. I am getting really excited about this hire and potential combo of young coaching talent. Weist still needs 2-3 more years of seasoning before he lands a great gig. Lets hope they can win a couple conference titles together before that happens.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
In situations such as this, its unlikely TJ stays on. He did a great job under tough circumstances and put UCONN in a much better place than it was just a few weeks ago. It would make me very happy to be wrong. If I was Bowling Green, I would make him an offer. I don't know if they can afford him, but he deserves to land somewhere were good.

Where do you all see TJ going? MAC HC? OC somewhere else? I think he stays.

Reaction Score
As said before TJ is going to have a tough time making $475K anywhere else. I think it would be a sign of strength on Diaco's part to have enough confidence in himself to keep TJ.

Still stunned Diaco is 'only' $1.5 million.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
As said before TJ is going to have a tough time making $475K anywhere else. I think it would be a sign of strength on Diaco's part to have enough confidence in himself to keep TJ.

Yes, he's an OC with 1 year experience

Reaction Score
Where do you all see TJ going? MAC HC? OC somewhere else? I think he stays.

I believe the only FBS schools with HC vacancies are Bowling Green, Florida Atlantic, or Arkansas State (at least for now). I had mentioned Bowling Green. TJ has proven that he would add value as an OC at number of D1 programs. I wouldn't mind if he stayed, but it's all about chemistry and you have to give the new HC latitude to make that call.

pj

Reaction Score
Yes! Make TJW sufficiently highly paid that he won't consider leaving for anything but a major school HC position, keep him as OC and give him an assistant head coach title, keep Jon Wholley and Mike Foley, evaluate the rest. That could become a really good staff.

Reaction Score

With regard to year 1 salary, I was surprised too. But, first, it needs be confirmed. If so, I suspect there are performance bonuses and solid ramp up in years 2-5. Maybe we needed to absorb buyouts, severance, signing bonuses, transition costs, etc. in year one?

Reaction Score
I think this is a test for Diaco. The new guy completely cleaning house is a sign of weakness in my experience. He doesn't need to keep TJ, but if he doesn't make a hard run at Foley, I will be concerned.

I agree, if he comes in and cleans house just for the sake of cleaning house it will be the first sign that we are in trouble. P screwed up royally when he demoted Joe Moorhead.

Last edited:

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
With regard to year 1 salary, I was surprised too. But, first, it needs be confirmed. If so, I suspect there are performance bonuses and solid ramp up in years 2-5. Maybe we needed to absorb buyouts, severance, signing bonuses, transition costs, etc. in year one?

Diaco + TJ at $600K would be a home run, IMO

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
What do y'all thinks the timeline is for Diaco to make these decisions

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
This is a Boneyard myth. He was an offensive coordinator for 7 seasons at Western Kentucky.

Ahh, I was not really familiar with his background. Thanks for the correction.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
What do y'all thinks the timeline is for Diaco to make these decisions

He'll interview TJ. My guess is, if they hit it off, he stays

Reaction Score
Just maybe the surprising $1.5M salary start reflects something else. Perhaps Diaco recognized the need to hike the asst coach's salary pool and was willing to go 10 toes in to help the program--his program--succeed. Maybe Narduzzi was only a 5 toe guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom