I hope I'm wrong | The Boneyard

I hope I'm wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Here's what I think can happen, it's an absolute dooms day scenerio.

The ACC is raided, they lose the following;

UNC and GT to the Big 10

NC ST and VT to the SEC

FSU, Clemson, Miami and UVA to the Big 12

That leaves the following teams in the new ACC;

Duke
Wake
BCU
Pitt
Syracuse
Uconn
Louisville
Cincy
USF
UCF
Memphis
Temple

The remaining ACC presidents fire Swofford for his sins and hire Aresco to form a new ACC and get a new TV deal. We were getting $6 million, this is worth $10 million.

Hope it never happens.

Reaction Score
If that is a doomsday scenario I would STILL take that every time over what we are facing now.

Yes. I fully agree, at least it would be a viable conference, but it's a long way from a solid BCS football conference. The big 4 would take the ACC BCS bowl game away. and it would be the new ACC, CUSA, MAC and MWC fighting for a BCS game.

Reaction Score
I would swap GT and UVA, but very plausible.

Yes, the remaining is still hugely better than existing BE structure, great hoops league and competitive fball.

If that is a doomsday scenario I would STILL take that every time over what we are facing now.

Reaction Score
UVa and UNC can live life without FSU and Miami. Not saying they won't go to the B10, but they don't have to go. B12? NO WAY.

Reaction Score
This is certainly a better conference than the NNNBE.

More likely that Louisville would join FSU, Clemson and Miami in the B-12 as a partner to WVU. So UVA could remain in the revamped ACC. Also possible that it is UVA and UNC to the B1G so GT isn't on a geographic island. Then either GT, Miami, or Clemson, which has the worst TV appeal, stay in the ACC

Bringing back Pitt, BC, Syracuse and bringing in Duke and Wake to replace Rutgers, SMU, Houston, SCSU, Bosie. If this is the end game I like it better than everything coming to a halt and leaving UConn where it stands now, with Temple and Navy being the nearest rivals. I could also live with throwing Memphis to the dogs and bringing in Tulane to make more of an academic statement. I just hate Memphis.....both the school and the city.

So it would be: UConn, BC, Pitt, Syracuse, UVA(or Miami or GT or Clemson), Duke, Wake, Tulane, Cincy, USF, UCF, Temple,

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure the doomsday scenario is ACC takes Louisville, or even worse they and Cinci both go somewhere, and then the conferences stay as is for the next ten years

Reaction Score
Yes. I fully agree, at least it would be a viable conference, but it's a long way from a solid BCS football conference. The big 4 would take the ACC BCS bowl game away. and it would be the new ACC, CUSA, MAC and MWC fighting for a BCS game.
Not sure they could take the bowl away... Same way they didn't take the BE AQ status away.
Not a horrible league, certainly not the cache of the current ACC.

But it's not too bad compared to where we are today either. I think you take the $15M/yr (not sure if ESPN can re-negotiate), keep the orange bowl tie, add BYU, Boise, SDSU, and Houston (sorry SMU)... Guarnteed Access, more money, and we would be in the #5 conference competing with the big boys.

Reaction Score

UNC and GT to the Big 10

NC ST and VT to the SEC

Duke
Wake
BCU
Pitt
Syracuse
Uconn
Louisville
Cincy
USF
UCF
Memphis
Temple

The remaining ACC presidents fire Swofford for his sins and hire Aresco to form a new ACC and get a new TV deal. We were getting $6 million, this is worth $10 million.

Hope it never happens.
That is too funny. It would serve a few programs right, however. No one is firing Swofford. He did everything he possibly could to preserve that conference.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Hey bigeastconf...when are you gonna change your handle? That has to be weighing on you, too, no?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

UNC and GT to the Big 10

NC ST and VT to the SEC

Duke
Wake
BCU
Pitt
Syracuse
Uconn
Louisville
Cincy
USF
UCF
Memphis
Temple

Hope it never happens.

And what becomes of the ESPN current deal in this "Doomsday" scenario. It's not just gonna be nullified. It's better money than anything the NNNNNBE will get

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score

UNC and GT to the Big 10

NC ST and VT to the SEC

Duke
Wake
BCU
Pitt
Syracuse
Uconn
Louisville
Cincy
USF
UCF
Memphis
Temple

This IS the Big East for all intents and purposes. Kind of like moving out of your home to the house next door which is on a corner and has a different street address. College football needs to be reformed.

Instead of Congress meddling in MLB and Steriods (to what? protect Henry Aaron's former record), they should get this straightened out. Who cares if somebody was on steriods in 1998? Who cares if they asterisk the record? Let straighten out college football and stop the television/conference oligopolys.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
That's the doomsday scenario?

On a day our conference adds Tulane....that's the doomsday scenario?

Reaction Score
If you take this whole mess and see end game, this is all definitely plausible, in fact likely. The only variable is how long it will take to play out. I do think that Big Ten sticks to some geographical integrity and goes UVa as first option. UVa fits their blueprint on a variety of levels. That conference does nothing other than make sense moves. I just can't see the Big Ten making a move into the deep south first, more market share or not. It will be TBD on what they do with their 16th team and one of the big ? in all of this. Do they save for ND once they feel the ACC is falling apart and have them finally cornered? I'd think they go 15, allow further ACC dominoes to fall and then see how soft ND gets before committing on the 16th. If they leave open, ND will know it's for them and likely string it out as long as they can. Unless they threaten them with a now or never and ultimatum by saying they'll simply take another flagship ACC school of which leaves them with a somewhat laughable all sport(sans fb) to play their song and dance with. To some degree, I think a lot of the jockeying happening this quickly is Delany simply trying to arm wrestle ND. As a flagship academic state institution, ripping out a school like UVa would send further shockwaves/doubts to ACC decision makers. We all saw all the insecurity take place once lowly Maryland took the bait. I suppose if they were able to take out UNC, the ACC flagship, that would leave the ACC even softer with regards to doubts and move everything along faster. I just don't think the Big Ten makes moves on impulse/moment, they make moves that are thought through to every last detail.

NC St and Va Tech are clearly the SEC targets. Extended market outreach to natural SEC territory without duplication. I would think that this is as close to definite as it gets. I guess I'm just not sure how the interstate politics would play out with UNC/NC St and UVa/VaTech.

The rest of it all goes to the Big 12 depending on how many they want. FSU, Miami, Clemson, Ga Tech being natural targets/new markets to the league. I suppose Ga Tech is the one school that could potentially swap out to Big Ten based on rumors. Then the question mark becomes whether Big 12 fills out 16 and if so by going to schools like Louisville or out to western schools. I just don't think the Big Ten has any place in Atlanta, irregardless of market share. I know dollars are important, but I do feel the Big Ten is the one conference that will stick to integrity as they see that as important in the long run. Cheapening a product because of market share in a region that makes no sense jus doesn't smell like Big Ten. They're a conference hell bent on tradition.

I do sometimes wonder how collaborative the SEC and Big Ten are in moving through their bullying of conference realignment. As they will have different target schools, clearly it would benefit both to see what each other is thinking and how they can push around dominoes like Notre Dame.

Still boggles my mind to see how Rutgers, of all schools made out in this.

So yes, when the smoke clears, the ACC then becomes a conference that looks no better in football than the Big East of 4 years ago. But still MUCH better than the Big East two years from now. And the basketball will be fantastic as you'll potentially have 5 of the top ten programs in the country(Cuse, Uconn, Duke, Ville, UNC). Although I still question whether UNC stays in the ACC. The UNC/Notre Dame end game becomes really interesting in how this all plays out.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure the doomsday scenario is ACC takes Louisville, or even worse they and Cinci both go somewhere, and then the conferences stay as is for the next ten years
That would be the doomsday scenario!

Reaction Score
Doomsday? We're in hell right now. I would take that scenario in a heartbeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom