I haven't forgotten '99. We should all remember | The Boneyard

I haven't forgotten '99. We should all remember

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"Duke and The Final Three" and the arrogant Pukesters who wore those buttons at Tropicana Field. The most difficult thing for me is being judged by a league that,historically,believes they are the rightful elite of college athletics especially basketball. For a few minutes I experienced some real disappointment in Jim Calhoun today for taking his eye off the ball with regard to academics. But, thankfully, it only lasted a few minutes; and, for me, what he has done for this state from hoops to healthcare to the growing academic reputation of the university will never be diminished. Finger pointing in any direction is a total waste of time; and the posts here trashing Susan Herbst and Warde Manuel are difficult to understand. I have been a fan of the hoops program going back to the Yankee Conference. I remember, as do many of you, being the laughing stock of the Big East...the automatic win for the likes of Georgetown,St. John's,Villanova and Syracuse. Jim Calhoun wasn't put off. He just laced them up and pushed forward. The results are well documented. So I really like the comment today by Susan Herbst in today's Connecticut Post.

UConn President Susan Herbst
“I know this may seem like a tough moment for our fans, but we need to focus on the fundamentals of academic success across the university and in our athletic program as well. We are winners – we win, we like to win and we will continue to play the best possible opponents. We will be athletically successful, regardless of our conference, because of our successes in NCAA competition. We will keep building our winning record through the lens of a great university, that focuses on academics, not on the fluid and unpredictable nature of conference realignment. Again, I realize this is a difficult day, but when we focus on research, discovery, and student success, we’ll never go wrong.’’

Nothing is to be gained by looking back except to enjoy all that we have accomplished. Personally I would not give the ACC a second chance to pass judgement on us. I do have faith that the current university president and athletic director will position us in the very best way to enhance both the academic and athletic success and reputation of the university. Today was a tough day no doubt; but, as succinctly as I can put it, the ACC can screw off! We'll be just fine thank-you very much.

GO HUSKIES!!! BEAT THE WILDCATS!!!

Reaction Score
I believe the 99 FF was called "The Duke Invitational."

Reaction Score
Just maybe the sky is not falling. UConn is still attractive and can even better position itself for the best conference (for us) and not just the first suitor. We do have a large multi state following, market and name brand.

The conference may declining but why must we think our school is?

The announcement was yesterday and the sun rose this morning, if you read this you are still alive and the world moved on (sans powerball). Its deep breath time, get away from the cliff and get ready to cheer our team tonight.

In the grand scheme of things................. "ACC, so what"?

(Posted in memory of Zig Ziglar! May he RIP)

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
"Duke and The Final Three" and the arrogant Pukesters who wore those buttons at Tropicana Field. The most difficult thing for me is being judged by a league that,historically,believes they are the rightful elite of college athletics especially basketball. For a few minutes I experienced some real disappointment in Jim Calhoun today for taking his eye off the ball with regard to academics. But, thankfully, it only lasted a few minutes; and, for me, what he has done for this state from hoops to healthcare to the growing academic reputation of the university will never be diminished. Finger pointing in any direction is a total waste of time; and the posts here trashing Susan Herbst and Warde Manuel are difficult to understand. I have been a fan of the hoops program going back to the Yankee Conference. I remember, as do many of you, being the laughing stock of the Big East...the automatic win for the likes of Georgetown,St. John's,Villanova and Syracuse. Jim Calhoun wasn't put off. He just laced them up and pushed forward. The results are well documented. So I really like the comment today by Susan Herbst in today's Connecticut Post.

“I know this may seem like a tough moment for our fans, but we need to focus on the fundamentals of academic success across the university and in our athletic program as well. We are winners – we win, we like to win and we will continue to play the best possible opponents. We will be athletically successful, regardless of our conference, because of our successes in NCAA competition. We will keep building our winning record through the lens of a great university, that focuses on academics, not on the fluid and unpredictable nature of conference realignment. Again, I realize this is a difficult day, but when we focus on research, discovery, and student success, we’ll never go wrong.’’

Nothing is to be gained by looking back except to enjoy all that we have accomplished. Personally I would not give the ACC a second chance to pass judgement on us. I do have faith that the current university president and athletic director will position us in the very best way to enhance both the academic and athletic success and reputation of the university. Today was a tough day no doubt; but, as succinctly as I can put it, the ACC can screw off! We'll be just fine thank-you very much.

Wonderful post. My personal hope is that UConn lands in the B!G. It's unlikely but one never knows. I would love a few more BE regular and tournament championships before UConn lands in another conference. I'm still optimistic that will happen. I will love how Cuse will be irrelevant when the media covers the ACC history come tournament time. Every tournament their fans will have to listen to how Duke and UNC dominate that conference and Cuse will be an afterthought. I will dread the day that this will happen to UConn if they finally settle in the ACC.

BTW JC didn't drop the ball on the APR issue. That was a set up. Hathaway was a vindictive person who did not like either JC or RE. He screwed both JC and RE by not allowing them to have the same options regarding athlete academics as was being applied by the AD's in all the other universities. And Emmert, who had a personal vendetta against JC exploited things. There is a reason why the NCAA went retro active in the APR rule. The new personnel at UConn fixed Hathaway's deliberate attempt to hurt the football and bb programs. Now UConn is doing what all the other universities are doing. In other words, the new administration has leveled the playing field.

Reaction Score

Thanks for the great memory. That game was the most exciting game I have ever watched. No one thought Uconn had a chance except Jim Calhoun and the team. That Duke team may have been the best in terms of pure talent that they have ever had. Ricky Moore who was a great defender became an offensive star in the first half to keep Uconn in the game and no one could stop Rip Hamilton. When Khalid El Amin went to the free throw line at the end, I knew he wouldn't miss.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Thanks for the great memory. That game was the most exciting game I have ever watched. No one thought Uconn had a chance except Jim Calhoun and the team. That Duke team may have been the best in terms of pure talent that they have ever had. Ricky Moore who was a great defender became an offensive star in the first half to keep Uconn in the game and no one could stop Rip Hamilton. When Khalid El Amin went to the free throw line at the end, I knew he wouldn't miss.

Not no one. Mark Blaudshaun picked UConn. Jeff Jacobs picked Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom