I have questions, I need your help please. | The Boneyard

I have questions, I need your help please.

Reaction Score
I want to say I was in attendance at the last Seton Hall game on March 3rd and I was looking for the answers while watching the game. I just want to know if I am missing something and get someone else's opinion.

1. Why does this team seem overly reliant on Bouknight instead of situational reliant on Bouknight?

2. Why can't they find more shots for Polley? I watch other teams at all levels find shots for their shooters.

3. Why doesn't Jackson ever look for his offense if he is suppose to be a big time player?

4. Why can't Bouknight and Martin have good games in the same game?

5. Do you think in NCAA Tourn. they will at least 4 players avg double figures to make a deep run?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
He's a superstar, top ten draft pick, that is mostly responsible for our highly ranked offense.

He's slow, hard to run off screens.

Wacky off season and in season injuries I'd say are the biggest reasons. The natural talent is obvious. He also didn't get a bunch of cupcakes to practice against before conference play.

Martin isn't a good offensive talent. This take might make some people upset.

Reaction Score
#3 is easy. He has zero confidence in his shooting ability - which he will fix over a proper offseason. Teams give him 5 feet of space because they know he will not shoot the ball. He's a pass first guy right now, and he is an elite passer so his lack of shooting ability is made up for in facilitating the offense.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
I want to say I was in attendance at the last Seton Hall game on March 3rd and I was looking for the answers while watching the game. I just want to know if I am missing something and get someone else's opinion.

1. Why does this team seem overly reliant on Bouknight instead of situational reliant on Bouknight?

2. Why can't they find more shots for Polley? I watch other teams at all levels find shots for their shooters.

3. Why doesn't Jackson ever look for his offense if he is suppose to be a big time player?

5. Do you think in NCAA Tourn. they will at least 4 players avg double figures to make a deep run?
1. The coaching staff thinks that Bouknight is better than he actually is. Bouknight doesn’t seem like he’s at 100% physically which is why he hasn’t been playing great.

2. Polley is basically an average three point shooter and nothing more.

3. Jackson basically has no offensive game other than passing and wide open dunks.

4. Bouknight is obviously not 100% physically.
Martin seems to have lost his confidence in his offensive game.

5. I think they need Bouknight, Cole, Sanogo, Whaley and Martin to all play well. If they are going to make it past the first weekend.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

1. the job is titled 'leader' for a reason.
2. because he does not deserve it according to his real, as opposed to perceived, record.
3. he is new to all this, and his job is to d, rebound, pass, and dunk for now.
4. who says they can't, or won't?
5. not sure why 4 means anything, but 3 (james, rj, tyrese) is a good place to start, then, with adama coming on strong, mebbe that's ur magic formula, so there's that.
hey! who changed all my clocks, and why is it now snowing fat flakes at my place? weird day...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Odd title. I expected a plumbing or electrical question. Not a critique of our offense.

I think the short answer is we aren't good enough to do what you ask against all teams. The other team is trying to stop us you know. This is our best team in years, not our best team ever.

I think the question you are unknowingly asking is, why is this team not as good as 99' or 04' or some other team with basically no (or little) weakness.

Reaction Score
Hmmmm, our offense looks great when we're moving the ball around. Do I wish sometimes that Bouk and Sanogo would kick it out? Yes. But then they shoot and it goes in half the time. So... what do you coach there? Bouk going 3 on 1 isn't a great design at crunch time of close games.

Reaction Score
I think these are fair questions and I have thoughts but not answers..

As a freshman I think Jackson is trying to help the team by staying with his strengths. Before the season I heard him say he didn't care if he scored a point as long as he helped the team win with defense, rebounding, and assisting. At the time I thought it was just rhetoric. It turns out it appears he meant it. Mindset is important.

Polley is a combination of him and our guard play. His mindset is to only take open looks in rhythm. A pass slightly awry of his catch and shoot zone, or slightly late allowing him to be closed on, is on the guards. Not running well off screens is on him. Jackson seems to find him better than anybody with more of a skip pass to the weak side that has found him open several times but he hasn't converted much.

Relying on Bouk is just deferring to your star who can be a creator. Its been bugging me that I think his handle has been real loose lately and he has developed the habit of falling down every time he tries to do anything. However, he has answered the bell frequently, plus he gets to the line and can rack up fouls on an opponents front line. He's made other guys better by taking off the pressure, and now the more Sanogo is an option, it in turn should reduce the number of situations that Bouk HAS to do it.

It's Martin's scoring that is really erratic, His rebounding and energy has been there. Just make the 2 footers and he'd have 60 more points this season. He took it hard to the basket in the last game and blew the shot at the rim. Too fast, anticipating contact, anticipating a block so rushing, I don't know.

Bouk, Martin, and Jackson allows us to play lots of ways. Let Jackson get the ball to shooters. Cross your fingers that Cole will be ready for a game and have any time to practice.

Reaction Score
Not sure how you came to the conclusion that the team is overly reliant on Bouk. One of the things that encourages me as this team has progressed, has been exactly the opposite. Going into the season I was fearful we could have 4 guys standing around watching Bouk, similar to some of the Jalen Adams teams. That hasn't happened.

In the Seton Hall game that you attended we had 4 players score in double figures, and Bouk wasn't even high Husky. Georgetown, the next game, had 6 Huskies in double figures, Depaul, next after that, had 4 players in double figures with someone other than Bouk high hand.

Creighton was what it was but we had a few players that struggled, it only really devolved into depending on Bouk after Cole went out and we took a downgrade at floor general. A team naturally needs everyone to contribute but if there is any one indispensable cog in the machine I would argue its Cole. Without him we're a much worse team.

Reaction Score
Not sure how you came to the conclusion that the team is overly reliant on Bouk. One of the things that encourages me as this team has progressed, has been exactly the opposite. Going into the season I was fearful we could have 4 guys standing around watching Bouk, similar to some of the Jalen Adams teams. That hasn't happened.

In the Seton Hall game that you attended we had 4 players score in double figures, and Bouk wasn't even high Husky. Georgetown, the next game, had 6 Huskies in double figures, Depaul, next after that, had 4 players in double figures with someone other than Bouk high hand.

Creighton was what it was but we had a few players that struggled, it only really devolved into depending on Bouk after Cole went out and we took a downgrade at floor general. A team naturally needs everyone to contribute but if there is any one indispensable cog in the machine I would argue its Cole. Without him we're a much worse team.
Great points you made there.

Reaction Score
I think these are fair questions and I have thoughts but not answers..

As a freshman I think Jackson is trying to help the team by staying with his strengths. Before the season I heard him say he didn't care if he scored a point as long as he helped the team win with defense, rebounding, and assisting. At the time I thought it was just rhetoric. It turns out it appears he meant it. Mindset is important.

Polley is a combination of him and our guard play. His mindset is to only take open looks in rhythm. A pass slightly awry of his catch and shoot zone, or slightly late allowing him to be closed on, is on the guards. Not running well off screens is on him. Jackson seems to find him better than anybody with more of a skip pass to the weak side that has found him open several times but he hasn't converted much.

Relying on Bouk is just deferring to your star who can be a creator. Its been bugging me that I think his handle has been real loose lately and he has developed the habit of falling down every time he tries to do anything. However, he has answered the bell frequently, plus he gets to the line and can rack up fouls on an opponents front line. He's made other guys better by taking off the pressure, and now the more Sanogo is an option, it in turn should reduce the number of situations that Bouk HAS to do it.

It's Martin's scoring that is really erratic, His rebounding and energy has been there. Just make the 2 footers and he'd have 60 more points this season. He took it hard to the basket in the last game and blew the shot at the rim. Too fast, anticipating contact, anticipating a block so rushing, I don't know.

Bouk, Martin, and Jackson allows us to play lots of ways. Let Jackson get the ball to shooters. Cross your fingers that Cole will be ready for a game and have any time to practice.Nah, most of those don’t come within a 1000 miles of being fair questions. Why aren’t we getting more shots for Polley? Here are Polley’s stats from 3 in our losses.
Nah, most of these don’t come within 1000 miles of being fair questions. Why can’t they find more shots for Polley? Here are Polley’s stats from 3 in our losses.

1-6
0-4
1-3
1-8
1-3
1-5

Pretty sure we’re not losing because we don’t find Polley enough shots.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Nah, most of these don’t come within 1000 miles of being fair questions. Why can’t they find more shots for Polley? Here are Polley’s stats from 3 in our losses.

1-6
0-4
1-3
1-8
1-3
1-5

Polley is a negative on the court if he doesn’t score in double figures, in limited minutes.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
1.Bouk has amazing scoring skills when he decides to let it go. If ClifS sees him as a leader, Bouk has failed in that area. I echo what WeAreUConn says, the staff as well as 98% of BYers feel he is better than he is right now. IF he gains muscle and matures emotionally the sky may be the limit but right now - not so much. Highlight reel plays are great but he needs to be consistent scoring from the outside, midrange and mix that up.
2. Polley is strictly a catch and shoot kid. He doesn't make the efforts to move and get open for his shot and shies away (most of the time) from physical play and to generate a midrange game.
3. I think AJ can be a bigtime scorer but I think his confidence is a bit shot. Work this offseason will do wonders for the young man. I see him playing at the next level.
4, I don't understand the particular reason this question - why those two?
5. They don't need 4 players to average double figures scoring IF they play great UConn D and rebound - that is what is going to get this UConn team going.

Reaction Score

1-6
0-4
1-3
1-8
1-3
1-5

Why do you waste your time saying anything if you do agree with the post? Why don't you go read a book or do some chores around your house? Some people are clowns on this site. Every post is not for you!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom