I hate saying this, but... | The Boneyard

I hate saying this, but...

Reaction Score
... do we have enough competition at QB?

If anybody saw the post game interviews they might understand what I'm getting at.

Just makes me wonder, do we have enough there?

A QB has to have a level of confidence out there where he commands the huddle. He commands the offense. And, at times, he needs to show qualities that supersede coaching. Not just the ability to sling it all over the field, and "follow directions, but also have some real dog in him to improvise.

Do we currently have a guy with that ability?

Or is this something that a player develops over time.

I'm a little frustrated because I wanna see us turn the corner so bad because, quite honestly, at the end of the day the players are the ones who make the plays not the coaches.

Reaction Score
QB was ok. Not great, but workable. Missed some throws and made some good ones too. Holds the ball too long. The problem is a generally crappy OC and game plan that prizes trying to keep it close rather than scoring as much as possible to win. When you’re still running between the tackles as a mainstay down 20, and punting away the football on the opponents 37 yard line, you fear the other team more than you trust yours. All bad, bad coaching.

Reaction Score
QB was ok. Not great, but workable. Missed some throws and made some good ones too. Holds the ball too long. The problem is a generally crappy OC and game plan that prizes trying to keep it close rather than scoring as much as possible to win. When you’re still running between the tackles as a mainstay down 20, and punting away the football on the opponents 37 yard line, you fear the other team more than you trust yours. All bad, bad coaching.
You made it a lot clearer for me.
Don't want to but have to admit that this falls squarely on the shoulders of the head coach. And it clearly has something to do with losing coordinators year in and year out.

Reaction Score
We do need an OC that takes advantage of the entire field and allows the offense to adjust its plays at the line of scrimmage depending on what the other team's defense is doing. I saw great example last week watching SMU kill South Florida last week. Too bad we don't have SMU's OC. Yesterday, South Florida was blitzing 2 or 3 guys on first and second downs. Yet, our OC kept running that miss-directional run play into the teeth of the blitz over and over again.
Our defense should not get a pass on their awful play yesterday, either. Other than Paul I don't think any of our cornerbacks can cover. The passes on the first two South Florida touchdowns were not thrown that well. On each play our cornerback should have been able knock those passes down. Our defensive line and linebackers were terrible against the run. I like Dillion Harris but I don't think he is big enough to play defensive end. His replacements, Watts , DeVaughn and Uguak all looked overmatched out there as well. DJ Morgan and Gilmartin missed a ton of tackles out there yesterday.
This team may be marginally better than last year but without David Pindall making all those great runs I 'm not sure we win any more games than we won last year. Yesterday was such let down for us football fans that still follow this program.

Reaction Score
It literally makes no difference who the OC or QB are when the head coach's offensive game plan could be best summarized as "try not to lose by 100 points."

Reaction Score
Wish we picked up the tempo of the offense instead of waiting untill 5 seconds on the play clock to get off the play
Going uptempo should be a weapon that every OC has in his arsonal. You can put the defense on its heals and not let them adjust their personnel to the plays the offense is running. No one here expects us to go uptempo all the time but we never do.

Reaction Score
It literally makes no difference who the OC or QB are when the head coach's offensive game plan could be best summarized as "try not to lose by 100 points."

Some day In the near future the coach may get his plan fulfilled.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom