I guess we can finally concede the committee got it right | The Boneyard

I guess we can finally concede the committee got it right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
After all. Unless you want to argue they should have left the undefeated, defending national champs, out.

That was a statement win by OSU against wisconsin on a neutral field. Tonight was the exclamation point.

Reaction Score
NFW, FSU was a joke. Won close games against garbage teams all year. TCU wouldn't of lost by 39 to anyone on any field.

Reaction Score
I still don't think that any team that lost to Virginia Tech should be in there, but you have to credit them for making the most of their chance. The real question is if the SEC was really all it was made out to be. I wonder if next season the hype (very deserved at times) for that league will die down just a bit.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Conference dominance is determined by the previous year and 3 meaningless OC games. Anyone could tell the SEC wasn't all that after the teams started losing.

At the end of the day TCU has the best loss and probably deserved a shot over OSU and Alabama, except TCU didn't win their conference (Co-champ nonsense aside) Baylor did.

OSU lost their Heisman level QB against VT, and then rolled 12 straight with a backup and his backup. They also beat a number of top conference opponents who we now know just beat the mighty SEC west.

The obvious answer is it needs to go to 8, as everything we've been fed for decades that the top 2 are the only worthy teams is bunk.

Reaction Score
NFW, FSU was a joke. Won close games against garbage teams all year. TCU wouldn't of lost by 39 to anyone on any field.

Doesn't matter, TCU didn't win their conference Baylor did.

Reaction Score

So you would have left out the reigning, undefeated, national champs? FSU wasnt even part of the argument. They were in. The argument was Ohio State and they shut a lot of mouths last night. Baja lost to an ole miss team that showed it wasn't that good. There were no perfect four and a deserving team or two is going to always be left out. I argued the night of the CCGs that no way you leave OSU out after their performance against Wisconsin. The big 12 was done in by their one true champion two true champions nonsense.

Reaction Score
Conference dominance is determined by the previous year and 3 meaningless OC games. Anyone could tell the SEC wasn't all that after the teams started losing.

At the end of the day TCU has the best loss and probably deserved a shot over OSU and Alabama, except TCU didn't win their conference (Co-champ nonsense aside) Baylor did.

OSU lost their Heisman level QB against VT, and then rolled 12 straight with a backup and his backup. They also beat a number of top conference opponents who we now know just beat the mighty SEC west.

The obvious answer is it needs to go to 8, as everything we've been fed for decades that the top 2 are the only worthy teams is bunk.

Actually Braxton Miller got hurt in preseason practice and never played a down this season. JT Barrett started the season opener against Navy

Reaction Score
TCU was rated 3rd going into the last week and did nothing to warrant a 2 spot drop. And then rolled a team who beat Alabama in a laugher. They didn't get it right!

An Oregon TCU game would have been one for the ages!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No one was leaving out the undefeated, reigning national champs who was riding 29 game winning streak. So agai . TCU vs Ohio State is the debate. There will be this type of second guessing every year.

pj

Reaction Score
I still don't think that any team that lost to Virginia Tech should be in there, but you have to credit them for making the most of their chance. The real question is if the SEC was really all it was made out to be. I wonder if next season the hype (very deserved at times) for that league will die down just a bit.

Nothing would please me more than to see ESPN's marquee conferences, SEC in football and ACC in basketball, eclipsed. SEC off to a good start this year, losing a lot of bowls.

Reaction Score
TCU was rated 3rd going into the last season and did nothing to warrant a 2 spot drop. And then rolled a team who beat Alabama in a laugher. They didn't get it right!

Also TCU played Iowa State and all of their two wins to end the season, at home. That doesn't measure up to OSU throttling the 12 ranked team on the country on neutral field.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
See, that's the deal. I think if you polled America about who won the B12, you would get different answers between TCU and Baylor. All of the other power conferences submitted a champion that won ON THE FIELD. The B12 had two teams with 1 loss; Baylor narrowly beat TCU who beat WVU who beat Baylor handily. Personally, I have NO idea who the champion should be in this scenario. Unless you have a Championship Game to settle the debate on the field, you have to hope for an outright undefeated champion from the B12. This is the price of wanting to continue to split a 12 team pot 10 ways instead of adding 2 more teams and having a championship game.

Personally speaking, I hope the B12 continues to be shut out from the playoff system until they get up to 12 and have a CCG. There is no question that TCU would have given any of the 4 teams in the playoff system a good game (and a MUCH better game than what FSU gave!). But as a fan of a school on the outside of the P5 and ambitiously looking in (even though we completely belong), I don't ever want to see B12 conference members get to split a bigger pot AND play in the playoff. I can't help but wonder what would happen if the exact same scenario happened in a year that Texas or OU (old money, traditional power) was involved. Would UT or OU get in to a 4 team playoff? My guess is that they would and that would probably lead to even more friction within that conference.

Reaction Score
Finally, I can stop hearing all the BS about how good the SEC is from the media. I remember the days when the SEC was a joke in football (mid to late 90's) and I used to feel bad for Alabama when they used to get embarrassed on TV.

Every team and conference has their time in the sun, but the B12, PAC, BIG and ACC are working very hard to be the next in-line. The playoff removes at least one level of bias and provides access to the national championship via conference championships. No more SEC vs. SEC national championship games, which was, and still is, a joke. Winning your conference should mean something and now, it does.

The B12 found out the hard way that they need a conference championship game. They may not make a move to expand this year, but I have little doubt, that conference championships will carry tremendous weight with the committee. I can only dream of what will happen when a one loss ND team is left out of the playoff because they did not play/win a conference championship game. That will be the next big shoe to drop in college football. I expect we will see some version of that scenario in the next decade.

Hold on Huskies, this ride will stay bumpy for a while.

Reaction Score
So you would have left out the reigning, undefeated, national champs? FSU wasnt even part of the argument. They were in. The argument was Ohio State and they shut a lot of mouths last night. Baja lost to an ole miss team that showed it wasn't that good. There were no perfect four and a deserving team or two is going to always be left out. I argued the night of the CCGs that no way you leave OSU out after their performance against Wisconsin. The big 12 was done in by their one true champion two true champions nonsense.
I think OSU will beat Oregon, but it will be close. If it were not for the Playoffs this year OSU would be watching the NC game on TV. Shows how flawed the BCS system was all these years IMO. Wisconsin is definitely not a bad team and OSU destroyed them. This OSU team reminds me a lot of an SEC team not your typical Big Ten team. By that I mean a big and physical defensive front line and great depth on offense, which Urban Meyer no doubt has had a lot to do with.

Reaction Score
Exactly, TCU was 3rd, FSU 4th. OSU then blew out Wisky and FSU barely beat GT. Based on that you could argue between FSU and OSU. If the committee had any guts they would have sent FSU packing. Who reasonably thought FSU could compete with legit top teams after their close wins against bad teams all season.

TCU was rated 3rd going into the last week and did nothing to warrant a 2 spot drop. And then rolled a team who beat Alabama in a laugher. They didn't get it right!

Reaction Score
Your lying to yourself if you think the committee was leaving out FSU because of their close wins. Bama beat Arkansas by one point and went to overtime against LSU. Not to mention Auburn had them in the ropes. Not having a CCG hurt the big 12 plain and simple.

Reaction Score
Finally, I can stop hearing all the BS about how good the SEC is from the media. I remember the days when the SEC was a joke in football (mid to late 90's) and I used to feel bad for Alabama when they used to get embarrassed on TV.

Every team and conference has their time in the sun, but the B12, PAC, BIG and ACC are working very hard to be the next in-line. The playoff removes at least one level of bias and provides access to the national championship via conference championships. No more SEC vs. SEC national championship games, which was, and still is, a joke. Winning your conference should mean something and now, it does.

The B12 found out the hard way that they need a conference championship game. They may not make a move to expand this year, but I have little doubt, that conference championships will carry tremendous weight with the committee. I can only dream of what will happen when a one loss ND team is left out of the playoff because they did not play/win a conference championship game. That will be the next big shoe to drop in college football. I expect we will see some version of that scenario in the next decade.

Hold on Huskies, this ride will stay bumpy for a while.

I'm afraid a one loss-ND team will not be left out of the playoff even if not deserving. There's where everyone has it wrong. OSU did not make the final 4 because of any argument other than they are a B10 team and they sell a lot more than TCU - advertising/TV/ratings etc etc benefits from OSU because of who they are much more than the Horned Frogs and hence the selection. And if Notre Dame sniffs the final 4 in a given situation, that will also be the closing point I believe whether people want to hear it or not. They won't get it right until everyone is on an equal playing field.

Hey OSU won on the field and now the arguments are a bit moot, but they will ever persist until it's 8 teams somehow.

Reaction Score
I feel really bad for the people still complaining about TCU not being able to play Oregon. While those people bitterly refuse to look forward, they're going to miss an Ohio State team that is on fire and is going to tangle with Oregon in what's likely to be a great, great football game. Ohio State won on the road by a couple touchdowns in East Lansing, by 59 on a neutral field against Wisconsin and just flat out took it to No. 1 Alabama last night. Yet, there are still people questioning them? That was a great game last night, and OSU-Oregon is poised to be an even more exciting game. Enjoy it. Forget TCU, they're yesterday's news.

Reaction Score
I agree, probably speaks more to the need for an 8 team playoff so each P5 can have at least 1 representative and then a few at-large. Or even a 6 team where the #1, 2 seeds get byes.

I think the committee was lost between the 3, 4 picks. TCU should have been one and then choose between FSU-OSU. They probably would have taken FSU even though FSU was a joke this year.

I feel really bad for the people still complaining about TCU not being able to play Oregon. While those people bitterly refuse to look forward, they're going to miss an Ohio State team that is on fire and is going to tangle with Oregon in what's likely to be a great, great football game. Ohio State won on the road by a couple touchdowns in East Lansing, by 59 on a neutral field against Wisconsin and just flat out took it to No. 1 Alabama last night. Yet, there are still people questioning them? That was a great game last night, and OSU-Oregon is poised to be an even more exciting game. Enjoy it. Forget TCU, they're yesterday's news.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I feel bad for Ohio State fans who have nothing better to do than post on a UConn message board. We all find things to be sympathetic about I guess.

Reaction Score

They were never out of it despite 3 and done's and terrible choices by the QB. Guess your take on "took it to" is different than most peoples:eek:

Hope the Ducks hammer Urban, I mean "take it to them"!! Love nothing more

Reaction Score
I agree, probably speaks more to the need for an 8 team playoff so each P5 can have at least 1 representative and then a few at-large. Or even a 6 team where the #1, 2 seeds get byes.
You know, 6 might not be bad. You'd leave out Mississippi State and Michigan State this year, but get K-State and TCU. I think that's fair.

Most year, I think, you'd end up with all the undefeateds, all the 1 loss teams, and the best 2-loss teams (and I don't think most will cry for 2-loss teams being left out, barring early season injuries, etc.).

Reaction Score
They were never out of it despite 3 and done's and terrible choices by the QB. Guess your take on "took it to" is different than most peoples:eek:

Hope the Ducks hammer Urban, I mean "take it to them"!! Love nothing more

They outgained 'Bama by well over 100 yards... at one point having a 438-150 advantage. I'd call that taking it to them and not think twice about that categorization. Heck, I don't think I've seen a single person that watched the game come away thinking Alabama looked like a better team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom