I guess Auriemma still hates Calhoun | The Boneyard

I guess Auriemma still hates Calhoun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So formidable and unforgiving are the obstacles that Auriemma calls Penders “the best coach ever at Connecticut in any sport.”

True Crime News GIF by Dateline NBC

Penders is a very good baseball coach. He's taken UConn, a Northeast program, to 2 Super Regionals. His record in 19 season is 655-430-5 (60% winning %) so far. He's made the NCAA Tournament 8 times since 2010. But better than what Calhoun did at UConn? I realize I'm a little biased, but no freaking way has Penders done more at UConn than Calhoun did. Not even close.

Reaction Score
So formidable and unforgiving are the obstacles that Auriemma calls Penders “the best coach ever at Connecticut in any sport.”

Penders is a very good baseball coach. He's taken UConn, a Northeast program, to 2 Super Regionals. His record in 19 season is 655-430-5 (60% winning %) so far. He's made the NCAA Tournament 8 times since 2010. But better than what Calhoun did at UConn? I realize I'm a little biased, but no freaking way has Penders done more at UConn than Calhoun did. Not even close.

He didn’t say Penders has done more than Calhoun.

Reaction Score
Let’s not make something out of nothing. Geno is the best coach in UCONN history and he’s just trying give Pender’s some well deserved accolades.
Good point. But Penders hasn't done more than Calhoun did.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Some people just need to start an argument over nothing, eh?

Reaction Score
Let’s not make something out of nothing. Geno is the best coach in UCONN history and he’s just trying give Pender’s some well deserved accolades.
That’s very true, if it’s between Geno and Calhoun, THEN it’s not even close.

Reaction Score
Calhoun is the best coach in UConn history but it's cool for Auriemma to put some shine on Penders over Calhoun and himself.
Over Geno? 11 National Championships to 3? The two longest win streaks in college basketball history? Calhoun was a great coach and is in the HOF, let’s just leave it at that. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Over Geno? 11 National Championships to 3? The two longest win streaks in college basketball history? Calhoun was a great coach and is in the HOF, let’s just leave it at that. :rolleyes:

You seemed like a gray haired interloper from the women’s board from jump street so I’m not surprised.

Geno is an all time great. What he has done in Storrs is spectacular. Comparing womens basketball, which just now is starting to show signs of parity, to the mens game is pretty laughable. Geno spent a couple decades recruiting against, what, 2 schools?

Reaction Score
You seemed like a gray haired interloper from the women’s board from jump street so I’m not surprised.

Geno is an all time great. What he has done in Storrs is spectacular. Comparing womens basketball, which just now is starting to show signs of parity, to the mens game is pretty laughable. Geno spent a couple decades recruiting against, what, 2 schools?
And here it comes…..

Reaction Score

Let’s try another writer’s take/framing on what was said:

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Whoever thinks that Geno is a better coach than Calhoun is clearly not living in reality. The woman’s game is not comparable to the Men’s game. What Geno did is cool. What Calhoun did is remarkable. If you think otherwise, you should reevaluate all of your thoughts about everything in life.

Reaction Score

Stanford, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Duke, Tennessee, Texas, South Carolina, Rutgers, and a few more, adds up to more than 2.

Reaction Score
This really shouldn't need to be said but Geno coaches women's basketball. There were two programs competing for hardware during much of his tenure and nobody cares about women's basketball outside of Connecticut and Tennessee. Since Pat Summit retired I doubt they still really care in Tennessee.

Auriemma liked to ruffle Pat's feathers because he was the guy in a women's sport she dominated and he started kicking her butt. He liked to ruffle Calhoun's feathers because it was fun for him but one thing he would never do is pretend he could do Calhoun's job or that women's basketball and men's basketball are even the same sport. He's been very open about this and he doesn't think it's good for his sport.

Reaction Score

I mean I hear what you’re saying, but if it’s that easy why was he the only one with the formula to make it happen? The “it’s womens basketball” reasoning is lame. Was John Wooden not a good coach bc in his day there were only a few teams that mattered? Or was he a great coach bc he made other people want to emulate him and more parity was created? If your answer is the latter Geno is literally the John Wooden of Womens basketball as we’ve seen more parity.

Reaction Score
I mean I hear what you’re saying, but if it’s that easy why was he the only one with the formula to make it happen? The “it’s womens basketball” reasoning is lame. Was John Wooden not a good coach bc in his day there were only a few teams that mattered? Or was he a great coach bc he made other people want to emulate him and more parity was created? If your answer is the latter Geno is literally the John Wooden of Womens basketball as we’ve seen more parity.
Because your top basketball coaches coach NBA and men's college basketball.

I'm not taking anything away from him, he's amazing at what he does.

Reaction Score
Whoever thinks that Geno is a better coach than Calhoun is clearly not living in reality. The woman’s game is not comparable to the Men’s game. What Geno did is cool. What Calhoun did is remarkable. If you think otherwise, you should reevaluate all of your thoughts about everything in life.
What’s remarkable about what Calhoun did compared to what John Wooden, Mike Krzyzewski, Roy Williams and Bob Knight did? To Calhoun’s credit, I think he would be asking the same questions of you and some others on this board. If there is a basketball Mt Rushmore, Geno’s at the top and rightfully so, and I think Jim Calhoun would be the first to applaud that.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The OP was bogus. Like saying Danny Ainge bit Tree Rollins.

Reaction Score
What’s remarkable about what Calhoun did compared to what John Wooden, Mike Krzyzewski, Roy Williams and Bob Knight did? To Calhoun’s credit, I think he would be asking the same questions of you and some others on this board. If there is a basketball Mt Rushmore, Geno’s at the top and rightfully so, and I think Jim Calhoun would be the first to applaud that.
Calhoun had one of the greatest building jobs in college basketball history. Duke went to a final four before K got there, so that’s something he did that’s remarkable in comparison.
If there was a basketball Mount Rushmore geno wouldn’t be on it because he coaches a different sport, he’s on the girls basketball Mount Rushmore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom