I feel really dumb | The Boneyard

I feel really dumb

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Most of you are probably saying "well yeah, DJ, you are dumb." For my whole life I thought it was Kansas University not University of Kansas because it goes by KU for short. I just cited work done by their education department in a paper and had my mind blown. Why go by KU???? To differentiate from Kentucky? Paging @HuskyHawk SOS

Reaction Score
Most of you are probably saying "well yeah, DJ, you are dumb." For my whole life I thought it was Kansas University not University of Kansas because it goes by KU for short. I just cited work done by their education department in a paper and had my mind blown. Why go by KU???? To differentiate from Kentucky? Paging @HuskyHawk SOS

it’s them that are dumb

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
so, I guess I never even thought about that ... but wow, that is incredibly dumb and you my friend are NOT.

It appears CU (University of Colorado) OU (University of Oklahoma) and some others join in the illiteracy theme.

Also, an article I just read said that the theory behind differentiating between them and UK is almost certainly not the reason, and there doesn't appear to be a definite answer.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's easier to keep track if you remember who the head coach of Kentucky is and that you can't spell "yuk" without UK.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
University of South Carolina goes by USC, UofSC, SC or Carolina.

Interesting ... but at least those all make perfect sense.

Univ at Buffalo is always called UB, despite saying "at" rather than "of" and technically it's a SUNY school so it's really SUNY Buffalo. But none of that is that weird, everyone locally just refers to it as UB.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

All I can say is that all of those schools were in the Big 8. They each abbreviate that way KU, OU, NU, CU, MU. Iowa State, Kansas State and Oklahoma State are outliers. The Rock Chalk chant (which is chilling) includes "Rock Chalk Jayhawk KU" and it dates to 1886.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
All I can say is that all of those schools were in the Big 8. They each abbreviate that way KU, OU, NU, CU, MU. Iowa State, Kansas State and Oklahoma State are outliers. The Rock Chalk chant (which is chilling) includes "Rock Chalk Jayhawk KU" and it dates to 1886.
Ahhh thank you!

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
it’s them that are dumb
1594750073062.gif

Reaction Score
It could be worse...what about Indiana University in Pennsylvania or Miami University in Ohio. Those have me thoroughly confused.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
My parents went there. Go Gorillas! It is in Pittsburg KS (note, no "h").

My favorite punter ever, Brian Moorman, went there. I was just feeding into the theme of the previous poster.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
It could be worse...what about Indiana University in Pennsylvania or Miami University in Ohio. Those have me thoroughly confused.

When you said that I thought to myself "I've heard of a few weird ones in or around PA" and then it hit me: California University of Pennsylvania.

"I got into Cal!" Wow, all the way to Berkeley huh? No no, Cal U of PA.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
May I be the first to write... @Dream Jobbed 2.0 ...you, sir, are a dumb-ass!!

You once had a handle with Bob Diaco's name connected to it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom