I expected improvement | The Boneyard

I expected improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was wrong. Time to pull the plug on the cray HCBD experiment. He is clearly in above his head

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I was wrong. Time to pull the plug on the cray HCBD experiment. He is clearly in above his head
Seriously? 5 games in?

I know I should be patient with comments on game day. It's obvious this Is an awful team and this year is a transition year.

Hard to watch and care about this team this year. But, I will see how the team performs at the end of the year.

Reaction Score
Yup. Can't get waxed by Temple and make them look like Alabama That was a freakin embarassment and the OC, the OL coach, and everyone else associateed with the offense should take their paychecks and donate them to a charity. What an embarassment

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Paul Pasqualoni and friggin' George DeLeone managed to finagle their way to a third year. There is ZERO chance that Diaco is fired unless there is some sort of PR nightmarish event that goes down.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
First time I've ever left a game early. Guess I'm a bad fan, but just couldn't watch anymore.
It was honestly so bad that even Joe D had little, to no excitement doing the play by play. He sounded so defeated it was amazing. When UConn recovered the bobbled punt and then missed the long FG Joe D literally was just like, "UConn can't walk away without points", Puyol missed and Joe D says in a monotone voice, "Yup he missed it wide left". I've never heard him so defeated sounding, even when bad plays happen he has pitch in his voice. It's gotta be grueling for him to have to call these games this year.

Reaction Score
Sitting in the stands has become grueling, we left after the safety. Heard Joe D call the rest of the game and yes he was astonished at the belly flop today.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We don't have five years to get this right.

The odds on upward mobility in terms of a power conference are long enough as it is and even those long odds are predicated on the football program actually showing competence.

If he's the wrong guy, and people in the athletic department would know far better than we do, better to make the call at the end of the year and move on whatever the costs. We can't tread water at this level without drowning for good and for ever.

Personally, I don't want to see him fired, but holy s---, he's produced a train wreck like I never imagined.

Reaction Score
In the ten years of taking my daughter to the rent, she has never ever wanted to leave early...ever. We stayed to the last play but she refused to watch the fourth quarter.

Reaction Score

The odds on upward mobility in terms of a power conference are long enough as it is and even those long odds are predicated on the football program actually showing competence.

If he's the wrong guy, and people in the athletic department would know far better than we do, better to make the call at the end of the year and move on whatever the costs. We can't tread water at this level without drowning for good and for ever.

Personally, I don't want to see him fired, but holy s---, he's produced a train wreck like I never imagined.

you cannot fire a football coach with only one year in. OMG, we would be the laughingstock of college football and no coach worth his stones would come near us after seeing the administration hatchet some guy after giving him so little time to succeed. If you want to doom us from ever getting to P5, then by all means, fire the guy after this season.

Reaction Score

So the players left behind by the tyrant PPGDL are not responsible for this mess, but Diaco is? It has nothing to do with a bad OL, with no depth? It has nothing to do with losing our starting QB?

While Diaco is a different duck, anyone who thinks any coach could have done any better, is crazy. PP left the cupboard bare on the OL, period, end of story.

Diaco inherited a broken team who is starting to show signs of reverting back to expecting the worst to happen.

So many people on here think a coach can walk in and take a horrible team and in less than 1 year make them winners.

We all had hope but the reality is we have a very bad offensive line and that just knocks the whole team out of whack.

The sad part is it takes more than 1 or 2 years to build a decent OL.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
John said:
you cannot fire a football coach with only one year in. OMG, we would be the laughingstock of college football

lol at the idea that we aren't that already

Reaction Score
lol at the idea that we aren't that already

There's teams that are bad on the field, and then there are programs that fire a coach after his first season. Big difference.

Reaction Score
So the players left behind by the tyrant PPGDL are not responsible for this mess, but Diaco is? It has nothing to do with a bad OL, with no depth? It has nothing to do with losing our starting QB?

While Diaco is a different duck, anyone who thinks any coach could have done any better, is crazy. PP left the cupboard bare on the OL, period, end of story.

Diaco inherited a broken team who is starting to show signs of reverting back to expecting the worst to happen.

So many people on here think a coach can walk in and take a horrible team and in less than 1 year make them winners.

We all had hope but the reality is we have a very bad offensive line and that just knocks the whole team out of whack.

The sad part is it takes more than 1 or 2 years to build a decent OL.

I thought we'd win 4 maybe 5 games. This is so much worse than I ever imagined possible and Diaco bares a lot of the responsibility. I'm sick of hearing about what a broken program he inherited. We can't block Stony Brook. I'm sick of hearing about the youth. This is embarrassing.

I'm not ready to proclaim him a bust hire but my God every week I get closer and closer. We are getting worse. Every week.

Reaction Score
It was honestly so bad that even Joe D had little, to no excitement doing the play by play. He sounded so defeated it was amazing. When UConn recovered the bobbled punt and then missed the long FG Joe D literally was just like, "UConn can't walk away without points", Puyol missed and Joe D says in a monotone voice, "Yup he missed it wide left". I've never heard him so defeated sounding, even when bad plays happen he has pitch in his voice. It's gotta be grueling for him to have to call these games this year.

Heard the broadcast too - can hardly blame him. That second half was an utter nightmare to sit through. You know things are bad when you stop caring in the 3rd quarter simply because you can't take anymore.

Never seen a team find so many ways to shoot themselves in the foot (early turnovers for scores), as well as to quickly take the air out of the balloon after any brief moments of success.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
We are getting worse. Every week.
This is where the problem and concern lies and I agree 100%. A "broken" team should be showing some improvement game after game if they are being "healed". What we're seeing is the complete opposite. That's not a sign of a broken team, that's a sign of a coaching staff that can't work with what they have.

Look, TJ was able to turn last year's team into a 3 win team because he used what he had at his disposal and used it effectively. So right now, CC is the major player who is missing. You can't tell me that losing him results in this program continuing it's nose dive to what we all thought we hit last year against Buffalo, Rock Bottom. I just can't buy that.

Not saying Diaco needs to be fired because he needs at least another year or so. However, there needs to be adjustments and improvement week from week. That isn't happening and it's not like the opponents were getting any tougher. USF and Temple were perfect games to show improvement and we laid MASSIVE eggs that should never be seen again.

Reaction Score
I thought we'd win 4 maybe 5 games. This is so much worse than I ever imagined possible and Diaco bares a lot of the responsibility. I'm sick of hearing about what a broken program he inherited. We can't block Stony Brook. I'm sick of hearing about the youth. This is embarrassing.

I'm not ready to proclaim him a bust hire but my God every week I get closer and closer. We are getting worse. Every week.

People seem to forget that our OL last year was not tearing it up, though they showed flashes at the end of the year vs so so talent. If you've noticed there are starters on our OL this year who didn't get a sniff last year. There's a reason for that.

If you want to blame the coach for the lack of blocking from the OL, go for it. With a new OC and a new head coach, if you don't have a very talented OL they are going to struggle.

No one on this board has an inkling on what goes on behind the scenes. No one knows what Diaco and company inherited.

People are going to go insane blaming the coaches. It's way too early to do that. The defense is showing signs of being better than average. Hard to hold it together when the offense is giving it away so much, but Diaco appears to have them playing well, for the most part.

I fear the team is reverting back to "...any second now the roof is going to cave in...yup there it is" Sure hope it's not true.

Reaction Score
you cannot fire a football coach with only one year in. OMG, we would be the laughingstock of college football and no coach worth his stones would come near us after seeing the administration hatchet some guy after giving him so little time to succeed. If you want to doom us from ever getting to P5, then by all means, fire the guy after this season.

The real question is, would the schmuck that followed such an unfortunate firing be better than the current crew?

I can't say you can convince me either way. Say you replaced him with Richie Kotite (who would surely take the job). I'm not convinced that Kotite couldn't do a better job.

Reaction Score
The real question is, would the schmuck that followed such an unfortunate firing be better than the current crew?

I can't say you can convince me either way. Say you replaced him with Richie Kotite (who would surely take the job). I'm not convinced that Kotite couldn't do a better job.

Please tell me how another coach could make the OL block better. Foley didn't get stupid overnight. Diaco said he was gonna basically "dumb it down" for the OL and it still didn't work.

The talent level left by PP and GDL is less than sub par on the OL. If we had just an average OL this whole season is different.

Reaction Score

If we didn't have years to get it right, we shouldn't have hired an assistant with no head coaching experience. But that's where we are now. That means, short of having a complete meltdown on the sideline where he curls up in the fetal position and sucks his thumb while we're getting drilled, nothing will cause him to be fired until at least the end of next season.

The fact is, this is a middle of the pack team in this conference if we even have slightly below average OL play and a competent QB. What we have is the perfect combination of possibly the worst OL in all of division 1 college football in the last 5 years and a QB that magnifies the problem with awful pocket presence. There are things you can do to compensate for a poor OL. We are not doing any of them. Whether that's by design (not deviating from the plan) or because Diaco and staff can't figure out what to do remains to be seen.

Reaction Score
Don't think Diaco should be fired even if we don't win another game this year, but this team next year, has to look it has a clue on offense. I've seen FCS offenses look more competitive against FBS teams that we have been. That includes offensive lines. Cripes, Fordham beat this Temple team last year with Nebrich running for his life and connecting with WRs. Diaco has two weeks, to change QBs and modify some of what they are trying to do on offense. If come next year we still look like this, I mean this bad, then you can't make the same mistake we made with P. I'm just looking for tangible improvement. Something we saw when TJ Weist took over for P. Yeah, we lost some games, but we were able to pass the ball with a quick passing game. The progress under TJ at least made you feel we had a shot to be decent coming into this year. Now it looks like we've hit reverse again.

Again all I want to see is tangible progress. He has to make the call on Whitmer/Boyle as first step. If he is hell bent on getting blown out with a 5th year senior, who will not be part of the future he promises will be so grand, he is making the same mistake P made when he went with Johnny McCantee over Mike Nebrich.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I am not ready to fire Diaco even if we lose out. I think he could be good eventually, he is just learning on the job. I don't think he was the best choice, but he is our problem now and i don't think kicking him out helps even though I wish we had hired Weist.

I am ready to fire Warde. Everything Warde touches turns to dung, and Diaco is just another in a long list of Manuel mistakes which the university can not afford. I would fire him tomorrow and make Calhoun Acting AD and first try to bring Pendergast back as soon as possible.

Reaction Score
The OL situation is the biggest visible problem on the field now - they simply can't pass protect.

Until the coaches resolve that it doesn't matter much which QB is taking snaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom