I don't understand the problem | The Boneyard

I don't understand the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Folks seem to be upset re; UNC's recruiting class. Frankly I wouldn't trade our incoming class for this year with theirs for next year. They may be good but Geno has the right folks coming in the right places. With the class following DD I am sure we will add more talent and perhaps some really key folks who we might have missed on if we had a big class this year. If UNC revokes scholarships to give to new folks they will not have been the first and it has nothing to do with us. We are a very lucky fan base and their success will not impact ours. I look forward to beating them and expect we will do so.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Folks seem to be upset re; UNC's recruiting class. Frankly I wouldn't trade our incoming class for this year with theirs for next year. They may be good but Geno has the right folks coming in the right places. With the class following DD I am sure we will add more talent and perhaps some really key folks who we might have missed on if we had a big class this year. If UNC revokes scholarships to give to new folks they will not have been the first and it has nothing to do with us. We are a very lucky fan base and their success will not impact ours. I look forward to beating them and expect we will do so.

Hey! Don't go bringin' your common sense in here!! We need the drama to keep us going during the off-season :p

Reaction Score

agreed...

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I don't think anyone's suggesting they want to switch classes. There's just concern about how specifically the UNC haul came to be, how it impacts recruiting going forward, and how UNC will get its roster down to 15 scholarship players (and whether doing so will bring some less-than-stellar practices, technically allowed or not, into WCBB.

Reaction Score
Alex, I suppose that some folks might want the type of info you note above. However it reminds me a little of Tenn reactions to our success. How did they get Maya, how did it all came to be? Who cares, it's really none of our business. I'm not displeased to have Sylvia Hatchell have some success, she was certainly gracious when we beat them this past year, and will probably be so when we beat them over the next 5 years.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Alex, I suppose that some folks might want the type of info you note above. However it reminds me a little of Tenn reactions to our success. How did they get Maya, how did it all came to be? Who cares, it's really none of our business. I'm not displeased to have Sylvia Hatchell have some success, she was certainly gracious when we beat them this past year, and will probably be so when we beat them over the next 5 years.

We can't beat them unless we play them. UNC was dropped from the UConn OOC schedule next year and replaced by more competitive Maryland. My crystal ball is too cloudy beyond next season to know if they go back on the UConn schedule or not.

And if we play them, I like our chances.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
There's been little implication that I've seen that the means to get the players were nefarious, just as there's been little to no implication whatsoever that anyone would trade UNC's 2013 for UConn's 2012 class. The issues are:

• 19>15, and how is UNC going to get the number down to 15? Again, this is a common issue in CFB, and the ways CFB programs have gotten the numbers to work (even the permissable ones such as "encouraging" kids to transfer and "voluntary" grayshirting) are not something I want to see make their way to WCBB. So yes, it absolutely is everyone's business and warrants close observation.
  • In general, if it's more frequent that kids are banding together, using social media or other means to coordinate where they commit to, or however else it went down, that's something that's important for Geno and CD to understand and adjust in their own recruiting. They've have to respond to other changes over the years, and this is another one.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
There's been little implication that I've seen that the means to get the players were nefarious, just as there's been little to no implication whatsoever that anyone would trade UNC's 2013 for UConn's 2012 class. The issues are:

• 19>15, and how is UNC going to get the number down to 15? Again, this is a common issue in CFB, and the ways CFB programs have gotten the numbers to work (even the permissable ones such as "encouraging" kids to transfer and "voluntary" grayshirting) are not something I want to see make their way to WCBB. So yes, it absolutely is everyone's business and warrants close observation.
  • In general, if it's more frequent that kids are banding together, using social media or other means to coordinate where they commit to, or however else it went down, that's something that's important for Geno and CD to understand and adjust in their own recruiting. They've have to respond to other changes over the years, and this is another one.
Yes - well stated. I have no problem with the way any of this went down, whether coordinated or random by the players. I am happy with Uconn's team. I am not overly concerned with 2013 recruiting for Uconn. I would have liked DD, but I would not have been interested in any package deal and doubt Uconn would have been interested either.
As you state, my concern is with the 'over-commitment' of scholarships. This is a practice in MBB and D1FB but those two sports are very different at the college level than WCBB. You can count on one hand the number of WCBB players that have left college early for professional careers and still have a few fingers free. When a women commits it is seen as a four year commitment from both the player and the team - yes their are a few transfers every year, but these are the exception and not the rule. And there are a few women who make a verbal commitment and then change their mind but this is also an exception and not a frequent occurance.
In D1FB first of all you are dealing with a much larger team with a higher attrition rate to academic issues, injuries, and drop outs. And during the recruiting process you never know how many players will turn pro at the end of the season leaving gaps in your talent pool. There is also a much higher incidence of reneging on oral commitments and transfers. And finally - no college sports program should try to emulate the D1FB recruiting model with its many layers of sleeze and major rules violations.
In MCBB - the number of starters that turn pro after one, two, or three years is staggering at the top programs (one of the reasons for all that 'parity' that people praise so much.) A men's coach cannot assume a scholarship is anything more than a single year commitment by a player so a little over recruiting or miscalculation in the number of openings is quite understandable.
We all hope for continued growth in the women's game, but I think no one wants it at the expense of what could be called 'our innocences.' There have been a few 'flare-ups' regarding recruiting in the past, and I hope this is a similar isolated instance and not some trend. I am a little surprised that there has been no national press comments on the situation because it is an exceptional situation in WCBB and I think is worthy of comment.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I just think it stinks for kids who have made committments and plans based on being part of the UNC family. I never thought it had anything to do with UConn and their ability to recruit and win.

Just on a human basis, I feel for the young women whose life has unexpectidly changed based on the situation at hand.

I'm certainly excited about UConn and their team the next several years, and I'm sure confident that Geno will find more terrific players. Look at the last several years!!!

It should be interesting to see how it shakes out and what Hatchell has to say when she can finally talk about it.

There is room on this board for discussion of what happened without being told that we shouldn't discuss it.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
There's actually a blog (started by Tulane law School) dedicated to oversigning in football. It seems that this happens a lot in the SEC with many of its coaches publicly defending the practice. Nick Saban at Alabama engages in it quite a lot.

As the blog notes, some schools (B1G) are beginning to offer 4-year scholarships.

http://oversigning.com/testing/

Reaction Score
I just think it stinks for kids who have made committments and plans based on being part of the UNC family. I never thought it had anything to do with UConn and their ability to recruit and win.

Just on a human basis, I feel for the young women whose life has unexpectidly changed based on the situation at hand.

I'm certainly excited about UConn and their team the next several years, and I'm sure confident that Geno will find more terrific players. Look at the last several years!!!

It should be interesting to see how it shakes out and what Hatchell has to say when she can finally talk about it.

There is room on this board for discussion of what happened without being told that we shouldn't discuss it.

I agree with DD. If UNC overrecruited that is a problem they must solve. It is a dirty trick on the early commits if they are asked to go elsewhere. But it is not a UConn problem because we don't overrecruit. In fact we genenerally stay at the 12-13 player level rather than the allowed 15 scholarships.

It was always unlikely that we would get a big 2013 class because of our outstanding 2012 commits. There is not much room for anyone to play much for at least a year and possibly two. Most recruits want to play a lot right away.

My guess is we get no more than 2 recruits in 2013 and get a class of 3 or 4 in 2014.

We now have the basis for championship team for the next four years. So UConn fans don't worry about not getting Diamond the only one that NC got that we wanted.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
There's actually a blog (started by Tulane law School) dedicated to oversigning in football. It seems that this happens a lot in the SEC with many of its coaches publicly defending the practice. Nick Saban at Alabama engages in it quite a lot.

As the blog notes, some schools (B1G) are beginning to offer 4-year scholarships.

http://oversigning.com/testing/
Indeed, Nick Saban wrote the book on oversigning, and although he's made overtures towards guaranteeing four years, there was a forced grayshirt issue as recently as this last signing period.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

As you say, it will be interesting to see how this shakes out. I do hope that those who rank HS players and write about WCBB recruiting are able to transition from offering congrats to UNC on twitter to looking objectively at what appears to be happening with UNC's 2013 class and how other players/commits are impacted.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
As you say, it will be interesting to see how this shakes out. I do hope that those who rank HS players and write about WCBB recruiting are able to transition from offering congrats to UNC on twitter to looking objectively at what appears to be happening with UNC's 2013 class and how other players/commits are impacted.

I would have to believe that SOMEONE will eventually write about this.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It is the real story in the events.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads