I Count 27 Foreign Players on WNBA Pre-Season Rosters | The Boneyard

I Count 27 Foreign Players on WNBA Pre-Season Rosters

Reaction Score
I noted how many fans on the board appeared to be mystified by the appearance of foreign names in the WNBA draft, so went to the rosters to check them out.

I counted 27 foreign players on the rosters of the 12 WNBA teams. Not sure how many will stick, and haven't gone back to check how many were rookies, as opposed to established players. But some of the rookies were in their mid-twenties, so had played as pros in Europe for several years.

Is this an indication that the international game is gaining strength? Is America being seriously challenged in its homegrown game?

Reaction Score
It’s an indication you can pay an international player like a college rookie, even though they have some pro level experience. Sometimes they can be better than a college rookie, often times not. They tend to not show up as consistently as the American players.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I noted how many fans on the board appeared to be mystified by the appearance of foreign names in the WNBA draft, so went to the rosters to check them out.

I counted 27 foreign players on the rosters of the 12 WNBA teams. Not sure how many will stick, and haven't gone back to check how many were rookies, as opposed to established players. But some of the rookies were in their mid-twenties, so had played as pros in Europe for several years.
Is this an indication that the international game is gaining strength? Is America being seriously challenged in its homegrown game?
Nah, don't think you have anything to worry about here. Far more American born players are playing on other national teams so the talent is heading more in the other direction. For example, Kiah Stokes who became a Turkish Naturalized citizen in order to play for the Turkish National Team and Bria Hartley who became a naturalized citizen of France to do the same in 2018. Becky Hammond was the first to do it for Russia and I hated it. Since then some other prominent names including Lindsey Harding, Kristy Tolliver & Kia Vaughn, Courtney Vandersloot, Glory Johnson. & Epiphanny Prince.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69
Top Bottom