I ask again... Why not pursue waiver for Cole? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I ask again... Why not pursue waiver for Cole?

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Agreed. I’ve never understood it. We had AG and CV to go to. AG just hasn’t shown much and CV is a good player but can’t play point and is often out of control. Some argue Gaffney is the answer, but he is a baby.

Cole should be starting and leading this team in scoring and assists. Honestly, I’ve been wondering if Hurley was saving him for when his own guys were in the system.
All good points. However, Ollie through CV to the lions when he was a baby. Sure, freshman mistakes, but he grew up to have a few great games his first season.

C

Chief00

At any rate it’s too late - how long do you think the NCAA would take processing and reviewing UConn’s request at this point, regardless of their final ruling?

Reaction Score
He has no basis to request a waiver. Our senior 5 star McD AA PG will be better than he has been. You people are so gloomy.
When will he be better? I am afraid what we see is what we have

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He has no basis to request a waiver. Our senior 5 star McD AA PG will be better than he has been. You people are so gloomy.

I think he will too, but he's been really, really bad, so the upside might be not be high. Poor kid's shoulder took away his shooting. He shot around 50% from 3 in high school at Miller Grove iirc. Doesn't help he has to play with a guy like Vital; they just don't compliment each other well skill set-wise.

I would not have attempted a Cole waiver anyway. Save him for when we have a shot.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Doesn't help he has to play with a guy like Vital; they just don't compliment each other well skill set-wise.

I think that onus for that is on AG. CV has shown that his greatest value in the half court offense is as a spot up shooter. Gilbert seems prone to taking it all the way to the trees and getting stuffed or eaten alive. When he kicks it out, they both prosper. But he'd rather try to score inside.

Reaction Score
Tomorrow. He will be better tomorrow.
While living in Ga. I saw a lot of AG his senior year particularly in the Peach Jam. He was a prototypical point guard. Great mid range shot and distributor , had a lot of talent around him. He has never been the same in college. I don’t know if it’s just the injuries or a combination of factors. Disappointed for him. It’s tough we you can’t meet expectations. Both your own and others.

Reaction Score
Yeah, if he had three years left I'd say go hard for a waiver, but with only two years of a smart, "real" guard one shouldn't be squandered on whatever this is

???

He will be able to play two years for UConn regardless of whether he gets a waiver. It's just a question of which two years he plays.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
UConn is not Duke, UK or Kansas where you can transfer and play right away no matter what

Reaction Score
???

He will be able to play two years for UConn regardless of whether he gets a waiver. It's just a question of which two years he plays.
No, I'm saying if one of his two remaining years of eligibility was used by playing this season, I would consider it effectively "squandered" because even with Cole right now we aren't anywhere near a tourney team. Next year, pending continued development of the freshmen and a senior Josh, I think we have a shot at something.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
So true, but it won’t stop the Andrew Brigade from telling Danny how it should be done.

A better example of 'pot kettle black' you won't find.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Yeah, because he left 2 scholarships unfilled. His roster construction was dysfunctional at best.

Fine, but at that point, it's already baked in. So guys go down, who's he gonna throw in? Walk ons? Hold an open tryout for the students?

pj

Reaction Score
We need two point guards and if you thought Gaffney were going to be injured all year, you'd want Cole to be eligible. But we don't think that.

Gilbert is going to play whether Cole is eligible or not -- it's his last year and his time to show. So Cole's minutes, if he became eligible, would be taken from Gaffney. I think the priority here is to develop Gaffney. Cole has D1 experience, knows what he needs to work on, and has the maturity to work on it while he's not playing. Gaffney needs playing time to learn what he needs to work on next summer. The team will be best next year if Gaffney, rather than Cole, gets available backup PG minutes this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom