I am so proud of my Arizona Wildcats!!! | The Boneyard

I am so proud of my Arizona Wildcats!!!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
As (I think) the only poster for whom Arizona is my primary team, I just want to stress how very proud of them I am.

For some teams, anything short of a National Championship is a disappointment. For Arizona to have made the Final Four was a major accomplishment.

Unlike some schools, Arizona doesn't disrespect its women's sports, but - and it is a major but - Tucson is a University town and a Men's Basketball town. While there were a core group of Women's Basketball fans, going back to Joan Bonvicini, it was never a rival to Men's Basketball, Softball among the women's sport fans, and even the less than hugely popular football.

Much of the credit for this goes to Adia and Aari. In spite of Adia letting her emotions get the better of her after the semi-final game, she is actually largely even tempered and supportive - a player's coach, as she says. Everyone who knows her loves her. And Aari was, for the 2 years we could go watch her, worth the price of admission.

So pleased with the result. Winning would have been nice, but what a statement by a program that has not been very successful for quite a long time. I think the future is bright, although there will be some rebuilding needed.

Reaction Score
As (I think) the only poster for whom Arizona is my primary team, I just want to stress how very proud of them I am.

For some teams, anything short of a National Championship is a disappointment. For Arizona to have made the Final Four was a major accomplishment.

Unlike some schools, Arizona doesn't disrespect its women's sports, but - and it is a major but - Tucson is a University town and a Men's Basketball town. While there were a core group of Women's Basketball fans, going back to Joan Bonvicini, it was never a rival to Men's Basketball, Softball among the women's sport fans, and even the less than hugely popular football.

Much of the credit for this goes to Adia and Aari. In spite of Adia letting her emotions get the better of her after the semi-final game, she is actually largely even tempered and supportive - a player's coach, as she says. Everyone who knows her loves her. And Aari was, for the 2 years we could go watch her, worth the price of admission.

So pleased with the result. Winning would have been nice, but what a statement by a program that has not been very successful for quite a long time. I think the future is bright, although there will be some rebuilding needed.
Laying the groundwork.....

Reaction Score
You have every right to be proud of this team and your coach. They were great in the FF and silenced the doubters. Last night a few more bounces go their way and they win. Enjoy this run and hopefully this will start something the community can get behind and support.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score

Congrats to you guys for an awesome season and for avenging what was "meant to be" last season curtailed by COVID. I'm such a huge fan of both Adia Barnes and Aari McDonald. Both came into an Arizona program in ruins and with very little initial hype, and in three season the two of them completely turned the program around and came inches from a national championship. Barnes has the right mixture of charisma, coaching ability, credibility and candor to have real potential to be a fixture among the Geno/Kim/Tara/Vic/Jeff set of top WCBB coaches going forward. I can't see what else will come from this program over the next few seasons!

Reaction Score
Hey you should be proud of your team. Arizona played a great game and had a great run! I only know Arizona for their men's basketball program and their softball program. I love what coach Barnes is doing for the women's basketball program and I have zero problem with her actions in the tournament. Coach Barnes has the program headed in the right direction. Hopefully the fan base is patient and have realistic expectations and allow her to coach and develop these young ladies. Teach them life lessons and develop their basketball skills. Best of luck going forward. I am Pac 12 (USC Trojans) fan as well as a UConn fan.

Reaction Score
Hey you should be proud of your team. Arizona played a great game and had a great run! I only know Arizona for their men's basketball program and their softball program. I love what coach Barnes is doing for the women's basketball program and I have zero problem with her actions in the tournament. Coach Barnes has the program headed in the right direction. Hopefully the fan base is patient and have realistic expectations and allow her to coach and develop these young ladies. Teach them life lessons and develop their basketball skills. Best of luck going forward. I am Pac 12 (USC Trojans) fan as well as a UConn fan.

To add to this, I hope for this as well. The turnaround in the short amount of time she has spent there is impressive. I don't believe it can be accomplished based on talent or X's and O's.

Shaina Pellington has noted via Twitter how grateful she is that she stuck with the program and the process. Considering her ups and downs at Oklahoma, if this isn't a testament to Coach Barnes and how she treats players, I don't know of a better example of an endorsement. It sounds like the culture she's creating is a very good one.

Reaction Score
I visited Tucson a few years ago to see a colleague at the University of Arizona. It is a beautiful campus. I was impressed by the academics, housing, and by the sports facilities.

I'm really happy for Arizona and thought they played a great game against Stanford. I liked the energy and the sportsmanship for both teams. Great Final!

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
My brother is a professor at the U of A, so I was pulling for them in the finals. I'm also happy for Tara, though. Adia will have the Wildcats winning at a high level in the future.

Last edited:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

You have every right to be proud. Congratulations on a great season.

Reactions: mmt

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom