OT: I-84 construction | The Boneyard

OT: I-84 construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
As I understand it, they are closing 84 in both directions at exit 30 sometime today.

Of course, as luck would have it, we're heading to Storrs tonight for our annual weekend visit to campus. (I walk around with a clipboard noting anything that needs attention or spiffying up. I send the reports to Sue - I'm sure she reads them.)

We're coming from upstate NY and head south to 84 - is there a better way today?

Reaction Score
The highway is closing at 9 pm so the best advice is to get through the construction zone well before then. The detour is 691 east and then 91 north to Hartford where you would get back on 84 east.
Getting home will not be easier because it's not supposed to reopen until 5 am Monday. It will be nightmare and I expect traffic to back to the state line. Good luck.

Reaction Score
Can you do us a favor and give us a video blog of your trip there and back?

Reaction Score
Better way is to start your trip from Sturbridge instead of Upstate New York. Then you can come in from the East on 84 and it's a piece a cake.

Or another way is to own a helicopter.

Reaction Score
That's my exit. Going to be a $hitty weekend without Marion Ave, f the highway business. Take Rt 8 north in Waterbury, get off the highway punch a few Dirty-burians in the throat for the aggrevation of having to detour, and go to Rt 6 outside of Thomaston like Joober said. In Farmington you'll hook back up with 84 just in time for the Hartford traffic jam. I expect 691 and 91 to be parking lots as well this weekend.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Better way is to start your trip from Sturbridge instead of Upstate New York. Then you can come in from the East on 84 and it's a piece a cake.

Or another way is to own a helicopter.

Or even better:

8C9001551-teleporter-transporter-star-trek.nbcnews-ux-520-400.jpg

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
691 is two lanes, it'll be a parking lot. Route 6 is best bet.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
If you're coming from Upstate NY just take the the thruway to the Mass Pike then 91 south to 291 south to 84 East....
^^ That if youre upstate.................. 291 cuts you over to near Buckland Mall, piece of cake. 91 south between springfirled and hartford can be a bear on Fridays between 4-7 though.

Reaction Score
The great news is that 91-N is now shut down in Meriden because of a crash. Hopefully the wreck is south of the 691 interchange. If it is north of the interchange well OHHHHH boy will things be ugly.

Reaction Score
As I understand it, they are closing 84 in both directions at exit 30 sometime today.

Of course, as luck would have it, we're heading to Storrs tonight for our annual weekend visit to campus. (I walk around with a clipboard noting anything that needs attention or spiffying up. I send the reports to Sue - I'm sure she reads them.)

We're coming from upstate NY and head south to 84 - is there a better way today?

No

Reaction Score
Drove under the bridge at 4:30 on my way home from work. Still open then but it was locked and loaded in position to begin. Playing golf at pvgc in the morning and have an alternate route.
I've been watching the prep since march as I go under that bridge every day. It will be a clusterf**k for 3 days.

Reaction Score
Yeah, they're starting now closing one lane before they shut the whole thing down later. Here's the best advice for fishy or anyone else who doesn't have to be anywhere near 84 this weekend. Stay home.

Reaction Score
How far upstate is "upstate"? If you're coming from close to Albany (or points north) you can take I-90 (which becomes the Mass Pike in Massachusetts) to I-91 South like they said. If you're coming from south of Albany but north of 84 (the Poughkeepsie/Kingson/Middletown area) you can pick up US 44 East around Poughkeepsie and take that all the way to 84. It lets you on just before the I-91 interchange. It's a surface street with lights (some places more than others) but it still won't have the massive traffic delays. If you're coming from around Poughkeepsie (where I live) it would still probably be quicker than driving all the way up to Albany and back down.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
It was south of 691, but north of Murdock Ave.
The great news is that 91-N is now shut down in Meriden because of a crash. Hopefully the wreck is south of the 691 interchange. If it is north of the interchange well OHHHHH boy will things be ugly.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
How far upstate is "upstate"? If you're coming from close to Albany (or points north) you can take I-90 (which becomes the Mass Pike in Massachusetts) to I-91 South like they said. If you're coming from south of Albany but north of 84 (the Poughkeepsie/Kingson/Middletown area) you can pick up US 44 East around Poughkeepsie and take that all the way to 84. It lets you on just before the I-91 interchange. It's a surface street with lights (some places more than others) but it still won't have the massive traffic delays. If you're coming from around Poughkeepsie (where I live) it would still probably be quicker than driving all the way up to Albany and back down.
44 to 84 from NY is pretty rough. No traffic, but a long, long ride.

Reaction Score
Went to mystic aquarium today.

Left about 4pm
9 was a parking lot ,66 was awful ,691 was awful, had to exit 84 and cut through Prospect , 84 westbound was closed at exit 10,luckily we got off just before the back-upo
Welcome home AZ.
It's a good thing the state is doing so badly ,the roads can't handle any more traffic.

Reaction Score

At the worst, use Rt 22 (in NY, along the border of CT, MA, and VT), and cut over to Rt 7 around Great Barrington, MA. Follow to Rt44, head east to Farmington or West Hartford area. I personally would stay on Rt 44 all the way to West Hartford/Hartford line (near UConn Law), then cut down to Farmington Ave. to I-84.

Reaction Score
I took Wilshire to the 10 to the Fourth Street Exit to skip the 405 interchange, and then took Colorado to the pier.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I read all the advice, got confused and then just drove straight down 84 anyway.

We left late enough that it wasn't a problem, but we'll take one of the detours above on the way home Sunday.

Campus looks the same as it did last year, but my wife tripped on a national championship trophy getting out of the car - they really need to start sweeping those things up. They're just everywhere.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The construction isn't too far from where I live. If you get stuck in traffic on the way home, give me a call and I'll bring you a cold beer to drink while you're sitting in a parking lot.

Can you take the Merritt Turnpike/Wilbur Cross Parkway home or is it too far out of your way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom