I’m so sick of this team’s embarrassing free throw shooting | Page 3 | The Boneyard

I’m so sick of this team’s embarrassing free throw shooting

Reaction Score
rankings come out monday, therefore if we pull off the upset against creighton this saturday we will still be in the top 25.
I hope so!!! That would be great if we could pull out a win there. Obviously wish we had Bouk but I still think there’s hope. I was clearly very upset after the loss lmao

Reaction Score
Hold up... why are we going after Cole???
I thought Cole had a decent "floor game" given the constant pressure he was under by their press all game..

Would the BY agree that much of what a PG does on offense(as a distributor of the ball) is through silent visual communication with the potential recipients of their passes?? If those potential recipients have their heads down most of the time while they are going through the motions of the offense.. What do you want the PG to do?? In other words.. They are not ready to accept a pass nor are they even trying to get open..

I can't tell you how many times in the last few games that Cole (or Gaffney) has been left isolated dribbling the ball waiting for anyone to shake free and get open so that they can even accept a pass/assist..No hard cuts..No back doors.. No using screens to get free..

After we broke the initial pressure of their press.. We seemed content to settle back into the offensive scheme rather than attack any advantages that we might have had.. If no one is running the lanes.. Head up.. What are you supposed to do??

Help defense..A totally different subject.. Was flawed for the same reason.. St Johns was doing a lay up drill when going to the hoop once past their defender because UConn's help defense was terrible. Head up and being aware of your surroundings/game situation/peripheral vision/call out picks/switching are a fundamental part of team defense.. No one was helping anyone.. How many times did St John's guards score off of the dribble with absolutely no help defense yesterday?? Credit their coach for adjusting to our early lead by going small.. It's all he could do with AS dominating like he was..

We will be a better team with Bouk/Andre/AA healthy.. You can't hang everything on PG play.. We have other flaws as a team the way it is currently constructed(with injuries). PG play is not a team advantage.. But its adequate.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

I thought Cole had a decent "floor game" given the constant pressure he was under by their press all game..

Would the BY agree that much of what a PG does on offense(as a distributor of the ball) is through silent visual communication with the potential recipients of their passes?? If those potential recipients have their heads down most of the time while they are going through the motions of the offense.. What do you want the PG to do?? In other words.. They are not ready to accept a pass nor are they even trying to get open..

I can't tell you how many times in the last few games that Cole (or Gaffney) has been left isolated dribbling the ball waiting for anyone to shake free and get open so that they can even accept a pass/assist..No hard cuts..No back doors.. No using screens to get free..

After we broke the initial pressure of their press.. We seemed content to settle back into the offensive scheme rather than attack any advantages that we might have had.. If no one is running the lanes.. Head up.. What are you supposed to do??

Help defense..A totally different subject.. Was flawed for the same reason.. St Johns was doing a lay up drill when going to the hoop once past their defender because UConn's help defense was terrible. Head up and being aware of your surroundings/game situation/peripheral vision/call out picks/switching are a fundamental part of team defense.. No one was helping anyone.. How many times did St John's guards score off of the dribble with absolutely no help defense yesterday?? Credit their coach for adjusting to our early lead by going small.. It's all he could do with AS dominating like he was..

We will be a better team with Bouk/Andre/AA healthy.. You can't hang everything on PG play.. We have other flaws as a team the way it is currently constructed(with injuries). PG play is not a team advantage.. But its adequate.

I agree both in the half court and on inbounds plays there’s a lack of hard cuts and Adama was just begging guys to use his big body as a screen to get free, but few takers.

Reaction Score
I feel like this team is better off long term if we let Gaffney fail and learn. Cole is clearly not the answer, he shouldn’t be given the reigns.
He had 4 fouls in 11 minutes. Who plays in the 2nd half?

Reaction Score
I’m saying long term.

What is long term? Bouknight is in the NBA in 90 days.

(Incidentally, I love the idea of just turning over the keys to Gaffney and letting him "fail and learn." This board is an absolute dumpster fire after one loss, imagine what it would look like under your preferred outcome.)

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I never have to guess if uconn won. I just need to check how quickly UCDaveD posts after a game.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
What is long term? Bouknight is in the NBA in 90 days.

(Incidentally, I love the idea of just turning over the keys to Gaffney and letting him "fail and learn." This board is an absolute dumpster fire after one loss, imagine what it would look like under your preferred outcome.)
I think Gaffney is a better long term solution than Cole at PG, long term being end of this year and next year.

Cole has had half a season to facilitate the ball. He’s missed big time free throws, shoots a bad percentage from the floor (30% from 2 and 27% from 3), and doesn’t really pass well. He’s good on defense. It’s a fair assessment to say we can get more out of Gaffney, but we’ll have to live with the bruises.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
rankings come out monday, therefore if we pull off the upset against creighton this saturday we will still be in the top 25.
The chances of that without bouk are slim and none, unfortunately.

Reaction Score
Gaffney hasn't been good enough to be on the floor for consistent minutes. He fell down and turned the ball over then immediately tackled the ball handler and Hurley rightly pulled him for good.
He’s frustrating. Nice strong athletic move to hoop for lay up and then he does that. Ugh

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom