Hysterical response from Geno re: Frese's "xtras at Miss USA pageant"... | The Boneyard

Hysterical response from Geno re: Frese's "xtras at Miss USA pageant"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
In their respective press conferences...

Frese: "I feel like Stanford and Maryland are the extras at the Miss USA pageant. Everyone is rooting for the other 2. Our job is to be able to crash the party."

Geno's response: "I don't think they should feel like they are the JV team. I don't think anyone should feel like they're the extras at a Miss America pageant.... I've never won any pageants."

That was just hysterical.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The JV reference was to Tara's quote: Stanford coach Tara VanDerveer said, "If people want to think we're a JV team, so be it."

HGN

Reaction Score
The man thinks fast on his feet......And on the sidelines of a basketball court. :rolleyes:You don't win many NC being too slow witted.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just want to say that I do not blame either Stanford or Maryland coaches, players and fans for being mildly or even extremely upset with the way they are getting treated in the media. I actually think it has gotten better this last week, but for a month the story has been all Uconn/ND all the time. Justifiable in the uniqueness of two undefeated teams on a collision course for a NC game, but no less sickening to other teams and even to some fans of the two programs in question. It is what it is, but little quips by Brenda and Tara are not out of place given the general coverage.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
As a counterpoint...Today's NY Times has a feature on Stanford, but not on UConn.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
And the coverage of POY focused for a bit on Chiney...

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Another quote from Tara:

"If we're going to be somebody's hors d'oeuvre," she said, "we're not going to be swallowed easily."

Reaction Score
Just want to say that I do not blame either Stanford or Maryland coaches, players and fans for being mildly or even extremely upset with the way they are getting treated in the media. I actually think it has gotten better this last week, but for a month the story has been all Uconn/ND all the time. Justifiable in the uniqueness of two undefeated teams on a collision course for a NC game, but no less sickening to other teams and even to some fans of the two programs in question. It is what it is, but little quips by Brenda and Tara are not out of place given the general coverage.

Reaction Score
Is anyone aware of how the other men coaches responded to how the press treated the other teams by projecting Michigan St. and Louisville/Florida would meet in the Final Four?Any UCONN fans feel disrespected?What about the NBA Eastern Division?Miami/Indiana is a done deal according to the media.The media seems to pamper Norte Dame and Stanford.Do the UCONN fans have the right to be upset?Just As kin.

Reaction Score
So if we win we'd be a tiara-wearing-varsity-letter-jacketed entree.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Is anyone aware of how the other men coaches responded to how the press treated the other teams by projecting Michigan St. and Louisville/Florida would meet in the Final Four?Any UCONN fans feel disrespected?What about the NBA Eastern Division?Miami/Indiana is a done deal according to the media.The media seems to pamper Norte Dame and Stanford.Do the UCONN fans have the right to be upset?Just As kin.
I don't disagree about Uconn maybe getting less than they deserved (and KY) as well. But I think it is a matter of degrees between the men and women due to their truly being maybe 20 teams with a legit belief they would make it to the FF, and a combine 15 value for the championship game (two seeds added together) on the men's side vs. the high (and proved to be correct) expectation that both ND and Uconn would make it to the final weekend as undefeated and barely challenged teams.
So - yes, but you didn't have the unanimity of thought and marketing for the mens teams that you did for the women - From January, the refrain has been can anyone stop Uconn or ND across the media.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Obviously the media is trying to focus on story lines to generate interest. If any team wants to earn some respect, how about beating UConn or Notre Dame? With all the interest generating in the two unbeaten seasons, any team that can beat them would be sure to garner tons of respect. Until then, you have leg to stand on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom