Hypothetically would you take Virginia's last six years for Uconn's next six years, if given the chance? | The Boneyard

Hypothetically would you take Virginia's last six years for Uconn's next six years, if given the chance?

Reaction Score
If you don't like dealing with hypotheticals this isn't for you, but an interesting thought experiment for those who do, I suppose.

Virginia has had a very interesting six years (covid cancelled season included), would you be happy if Hurley had something like that six year stretch starting with the 2023-24 season?

That would mean:

A record similar to Bennett's 153-42 but with maybe 15 more games (that were lost due to covid), so lets say 165-45 over this coming six year span, 1 conference tournament championship, 3 regular season 1st place finishes, 2 second place finishes, one 6th place finish, with a conference record similar to 88-25 but with seven extra games so lets say 93-27 so that works out to about 15-5 or 16-4 average per year over 6 years.

2023-24: Hurley becomes the 3rd coach to lose as a 1 seed to a 16 seed
2024-25: Hurley wins it all as a 1 seed!
2025-26: Hurley gets a 3 seed and loses in the S16 to a 2 seed in a close game (similar to his Rhode Island game)*
2026-27: "NMSU part 2", but slightly worse, loses to a 13 seed as a 4 again
2027-28: NIT quarterfinal loss
2028-29: "NMSU part 3", but slightly worse, loses to a 13 seed as a 4 again

Other than some liberty with that 3rd season, 25-26 (which was covid cancelled for Virginia), that is what Virginia did during their last six years.

So do you take that deal? UConn gets #5 out of it, at the very least, or do you gamble and see how things play out naturally, perhaps with no #5? Maybe more consistent post seasons, perhaps not. If you would not take that deal, lets say he gets to his second FF in 2029-30, would you take THAT deal?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
would you please bill murray GIF

Hypothetical offseason type posts are always bad mojo on gameday, especially SWEET SIXTEEN gameday.

Reaction Score
This is a weirder version of the "would you rather have Kansas's last 10 years or ours?" question a few years ago where the debate was would you rather:
A) either win championships or be completely irrelevant and embarrassing, with no in between
B) sustain consistent success and be relevant, but fall short of a title

This is asking if we'd be OK with good regular season performance and a championship, but also some abject embarrassment along the way. I think the answer has to be yes.

Reaction Score
I have made it pretty clear how much I hate UVA basketball on this board. For that reason alone, I say ABSOLUTELY not. I don't want to watch a game with 6 possessions per half. Basketball is ultimately entertainment, and UVA basketball is not entertaining.

Would I take a championship every 6 years? Yes.

Reaction Score
If you don't like dealing with hypotheticals this isn't for you, but an interesting thought experiment for those who do, I suppose.

Virginia has had a very interesting six years (covid cancelled season included), would you be happy if Hurley had something like that six year stretch starting with the 2023-24 season?

That would mean:

A record similar to Bennett's 153-42 but with maybe 15 more games (that were lost due to covid), so lets say 165-45 over this coming six year span, 1 conference tournament championship, 3 regular season 1st place finishes, 2 second place finishes, one 6th place finish, with a conference record similar to 88-25 but with seven extra games so lets say 93-27 so that works out to about 15-5 or 16-4 average per year over 6 years.

2023-24: Hurley becomes the 3rd coach to lose as a 1 seed to a 16 seed
2024-25: Hurley wins it all as a 1 seed!
2025-26: Hurley gets a 3 seed and loses in the S16 to a 2 seed in a close game (similar to his Rhode Island game)*
2026-27: "NMSU part 2", but slightly worse, loses to a 13 seed as a 4 again
2027-28: NIT quarterfinal loss
2028-29: "NMSU part 3", but slightly worse, loses to a 13 seed as a 4 again

Other than some liberty with that 3rd season, 25-26 (which was covid cancelled for Virginia), that is what Virginia did during their last six years.

So do you take that deal? UConn gets #5 out of it, at the very least, or do you gamble and see how things play out naturally, perhaps with no #5? Maybe more consistent post seasons, perhaps not. If you would not take that deal, lets say he gets to his second FF in 2029-30, would you take THAT deal?

Half Baked Boo GIF

Reaction Score
I have made it pretty clear how much I hate UVA basketball on this board. For that reason alone, I say ABSOLUTELY not. I don't want to watch a game with 6 possessions per half. Basketball is ultimately entertainment, and UVA basketball is not entertaining.

Bet you hate soccer as well. Say what you want about style, what Bennett has done is impressive.

Reaction Score
Bet you hate soccer as well. Say what you want about style, what Bennett has done is impressive.
Not remotely the same. Soccer is a completely different game. In this specific game of Basketball, Bennett’s style of play is terrible to watch.

Reaction Score

I don't mind watching soccer, because things actually happen. It's entertaining.

Of course what Bennett has done is impressive. It's just a really boring brand of basketball. No one wants to see a high-major team kill clock for 40 minutes.

Reaction Score

Worst team to watch in sports.

xclamations

Different color thrones
Reaction Score
*UConn (pet peeve)

& No.
The slow burn/long road made/makes for better character development. Better storyline. Let's Go!

Reaction Score
Don’t want to lose to much lower seeds 4 of 6 seasons. Excited for the next 6!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
No. Starting your post with the equivalent of "with all due respect" does not give you a license to make mojo threatening statements.
Yeah, but it's not even as good as a "with all due respect," equivalent, and I mean that with no criticism of you.

I liked the similar, "Wait, what? No, not today" thread last week, when the OP responded to criticism by saying, "But I was thinking about this morning." His defense had more of an, "It's not my fault. I'm interested in the subject" vibe to it.

I rarely visit the Chat, but hearing that somebody did a "Fire Hurley" at halftime (St Mary's?) sounds of a piece. Could be just nervous energy, like asking if anybody wants to play a few hands of cards before the funeral starts.

It might be that these blips are simultaneously threats to the mojo AND little tests to demonstrate that we know who we are and won't get thrown off, and that the team knows who they are are can't be thrown off either. They might be sneaky good for mojo.

Maybe it's why we don't have a point guard...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think a better hypothetical is would you rather our next 10 years mirror the 2000s or the 2010s? You can either have 10 years of high level top basketball that is very consistent, 2 final fours, 1 NC and momentum going into the next decade or 10 years of up and down sometimes awful basketball but 2 NCs.... The more I think about it I think I go the 2000s even though it would be 1 less championship

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom