hypotheticalee | The Boneyard

hypotheticalee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
is there anyway uconn, pitt, syr, could wind up in the big12...
back with wvu and matching up with kansas makes for one hell of a bb league... travel wouldn't be too bad either...

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
The B12 is Texas's show. I don't see any reason why they would care to play us northerners. You would also need to maintain/increase the per-team payout to make it worth their while.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i still think the real reason ruty was pick before uconn(just order of acc/be +acc/be to get to 16) is that the b12 is looking to get to 16 or 18 so they can have a east west divison split and all they have right now is wvu. they know what certain acc programs are worth and how to get them but they also know that swofford is a jackass and he didn't add the most vlue wise teams so ruty among others was still out there. i think the b12 was looking to add ruty with lville or a acc school to start the round of expansion off. the b10 wasn't going to have any of that as it had east eyes it self. rutgers sold itself perfectly and as so uconn gets shoved to the side for now until its turn comes.

now the b12 sits back again and think and while doing so the lville ad who is a public nightmare every day with his bitching and moaning about the b12 and how much profit and all that bs makes the b12 look like jerks for getting the string along and goes to the acc. but hes a idiot and his community college students and alums can't relaize it becuase they are also. so will kick there own ball sacks a lot soon when the acc has cincy, temple and usf in it with wake and others.

its all a chess game that some are mentally above and others are not. we were lead by idiots not to long ago but now have our heads in the game. that will prove itself in time. md has to get this exit fee down thru talks outside of court. lets say they get it down to 25mil. then uva can say they are leaving, they will do the same and claim that md got out for 25mil but when they left the league was better pre lville. so they will ask to leave for 23 mil instead of 25 and get that. then the b12 will make its move. anywhere from 2-6 teams could go depending on what fsu wants to do and how much value goes. those schools as a group will claim that when uva left it was 23 mil but now u added cincy and now the value is 20mil each. they get that. now the acc is dip and nd is thinking about what a tough decision it has in 2015.

caw

Reaction Score
The B12 is Texas's show. I don't see any reason why they would care to play us northerners. You would also need to maintain/increase the per-team payout to make it worth their while.

Yep, though who knows where their whims will take them.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
is there anyway uconn, pitt, syr, could wind up in the big12...
back with wvu and matching up with kansas makes for one hell of a bb league... travel wouldn't be too bad either...

I am inclined to doubt it, but things can change. I think people here are too quick to ignore the identity of an athletic league. Those that are successful have a specific identity and try to retain it. The B1G certainly has. Maryland was a slight reach for them, Rutgers probably less so. I think the UVA to the B1H noise is just noise because they are truly a southern school and don't fit. Apart from BC, Miami is the most culturally northern school currently in the ACC.

I come from Big 8/12 country to some extent, and can tell you that they value the identity as a midwestern league pretty highly. Losing Colorada was minor, but Nebraska was a real blow. Missouri too. The reality is that the league cannot really grow and remain a midwestern league. So there are two options. It can become a southwestern league, and poach New Mexico, Nevada, UNLV and Utah State (or BYU) or it can become a fractured league with east and midwestern elements. If they go with option 2, they then need to consider a northern or southern strategy. WVU and to a lesser extent Iowa St. argue for a northern approach. Would Pitt consider a switch? If so, UConn, Pitt, Cinci could be added (maybe even Louisville). If instead they are interested in FSU or Clemson, UConn has no shot at the Big 12, but will probably slide into the ACC.

Reaction Score

Texas has 1 vote, just like every other school.

Texas is not anti-expansion. Neither is the B12. The B12 will expand if/when it can attract schools that will increase revenue for everyone involved in the conference. Personally, I like the idea of UConn (& some other NE schools) to the B12. I think UConn could play a couple of home games a year in the Giants/Jets stadium right by NYC. It is hard to imagine Bowlsby & the networks not excited by Texas or OU capturing the attention of NYC.

Sadly, based on what I have been told, there are no current Big East teams that would make $ for the B12 if added. The B12 is waiting on certain ACC teams to say they will accept a formal offer.

caw

Reaction Score

Texas is not anti-expansion. Neither is the B12. The B12 will expand if/when it can attract schools that will increase revenue for everyone involved in the conference. Personally, I like the idea of UConn (& some other NE schools) to the B12. I think UConn could play a couple of home games a year in the Giants/Jets stadium right by NYC. It is hard to imagine Bowlsby & the networks not excited by Texas or OU capturing the attention of NYC.

Sadly, based on what I have been told, there are no current Big East teams that would make $ for the B12 if added. The B12 is waiting on certain ACC teams to say they will accept a formal offer.

Texas may only have one vote, but it's a bigger vote than most. If Texas is (theoretically) against something, the other schools will listen more than if say WVU is against something. The rest of the B12 knows who the breadwinner is.

The reason UConn wouldn't make sense for the B12 is that it would be on an island, much like BC was for the ACC. The B12 would have to include at least 1 or 2 more NE schools for it to make sense and there really aren't any other NE schools that are worth it. Syracuse might be second, but they won't leave the ACC until it's falling apart, after it took them almost 10 years to get in.

The B1G makes more sense because UConn at least has PSU/Maryland/Rutgers as a close fit. The ACC has Syracuse/Pitt/BC that are close. WVU is the closest B12 school followed by Kansas? It would cost UConn a ton to travel for all those games.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

Is it your belief that offers have been extended to ACC teams or are they still in the discussion stage?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Is it your belief that offers have been extended to ACC teams or are they still in the discussion stage?
It's the FSU and Clemson to the B12 rumor I suspect. That domino most likely will only happen if/when the ACC gets raided and the rumored teams going to the B!G and SEC start unfolding.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
No.

Ha! My theoreticalGrant trumps your hypotheticaLee.

Reaction Score

Formal offers? No.
Informal offers? Yes.

There will never be a formal offer until a school submits a letter of application but FSU & several other ACC schools have been told their applications will be accepted.

caw

Reaction Score
Formal offers? No.
Informal offers? Yes.

There will never be a formal offer until a school submits a letter of application but FSU & several other ACC schools have been told their applications will be accepted.

The B12 would take almost any ACC team, because it means the B12 remains intact and the fourth conference going forward, while the ACC becomes relegated to #5. It isn't shocking really. The B12 needs to do this before any of it's teams are poached (of course they would have 13 years or the school leaving would have to be willing to relinquish media rights or defeat GOR).

The ACC seems to be hoping everything stops at 5 conferences, they are really out of moves, aside from getting ND (not happening).

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The B12 would take almost any ACC team, because it means the B12 remains intact and the fourth conference going forward, while the ACC becomes relegated to #5. It isn't shocking really. The B12 needs to do this before any of it's teams are poached (of course they would have 13 years or the school leaving would have to be willing to relinquish media rights or defeat GOR).

The ACC seems to be hoping everything stops at 5 conferences, they are really out of moves, aside from getting ND (not happening).
The BE is going to set up a GOR. UConn will initiate this. It's an insurance policy. That way if Cincy or Boise get poached before UConn and they break the GOR agreement, an inevitability given UConn's recent luck, the B12 will realize they can be poached, and Texas will finally act. They will raid the ACC, the CR will go full out and UConn should land somewhere. I've got it all figured out!:)

Reaction Score
The B1G makes more sense because UConn at least has PSU/Maryland/Rutgers as a close fit. The ACC has Syracuse/Pitt/BC that are close. WVU is the closest B12 school followed by Kansas? It would cost UConn a ton to travel for all those games.

Travel expense is practically a red herring, though. For all intents and purposes, we'd be paying for football, basketball, baseball/softball, women's soccer and volleyball to play in the Big 12. Football and basketball would more or less pay for themselves; baseball and softball spend so much of their time playing in Sun Belt states in the early season anyway that there'd be no practical difference to what we already pay.

Every other sport would find its way into an affiliate membership, or a single-sport league like Hockey East, or would only have a token trip to the league championships (to which the whole team wouldn't travel anyway), playing the bulk of their season in regional events against regional opposition.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Formal offers? No.
Informal offers? Yes.

Thanks. That means that there are compelling reasons for FSU and others to stay in the ACC versus jumping to the Big 12. Some (not you) would have us believe that FSU would jump at the chance to move to the Big 12.

Reaction Score
Thanks. That means that there are compelling reasons for FSU and others to stay in the ACC versus jumping to the Big 12. Some (not you) would have us believe that FSU would jump at the chance to move to the Big 12.

There is a compelling reason why FSU stayed. Swofford had asked the ACC football schools for their commitment to the conference if he could secure ND. He delivered so they stayed. This is why Texas & the B12 were working so hard to land ND themselves.....it would have been the end of the ACC. Maryland leaving has stirred the pot once again.

Bottom line, based on what I have heard from a source I trust very much in the University of Texas athletics department, and from other people with ACC connections I believe to be sound, I will be very surprised if at least 2 ACC teams don't join the B12 before the start of the 2014 football season.

Reaction Score
Bottom line, based on what I have heard from a source I trust very much in the University of Texas athletics department, and from other people with ACC connections I believe to be sound, I will be very surprised if at least 2 ACC teams don't join the B12 before the start of the 2014 football season.

Then they better get moving - 2013 is almost here (and Uconn needs to get into the ACC SOON!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom