Hypothetical: Would Geno go to UCLA mbb? | The Boneyard

Hypothetical: Would Geno go to UCLA mbb?

Reaction Score
Okay, we know it will never happen but his name isn't even mentioned as a dark horse. I've heard some doozies like Becky Hammon but not Geno.

I know this has been hashed out before, but if UCLA came calling, would Geno even take a look? He's getting older but would the concept of resurrecting a mens basketball dynasty appeal to him since he's essentially accomplished everything possible in wbb and has proven himself to be the greatest coach in the sport?

Reaction Score
Haha. Geno says it's getting harder now for him to find the type of players, and parents, he wants for WBB. "Body language"?? Just wait til he has to recruit a bunch of illiterate primadona one-and-done high school boys who are being offered $100K by shoe company reps! Oh, and parents? The Lavar Balls of the world tend to hang out in La La Land.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Why? Now if you were talking an NBA opening, I might be a little worried.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno has talked himself in circles on this one, most recently saying he is intrigued with trying to figure out how to have a team limit some of the best in the NBA. However, push come to shove I don't see Geno signing up for the punishing travel involved in the NBA and let's face it he'd probably only get an offer from a bottom dweller.

Reaction Score
I think Becky Hammon will stick with NBA basketball. She’s on a mission.

Reaction Score
Geno has talked himself in circles on this one, most recently saying he is intrigued with trying to figure out how to have a team limit some of the best in the NBA. However, push come to shove I don't see Geno signing up for the punishing travel involved in the NBA and let's face it he'd probably only get an offer from a bottom dweller.
I believe that Geno is as happy as he can be, right here in Storrs. He has a beautiful home, friends and family. He is UCONN personified and loved by all. He has accomplished more than most coaches can dream of. He is totally set financially, and does not need the aggravation of Division I men's BB. And, he is not 40 0r 50 years old, with ambition drooling from his pores. In summary, I think he is a contented man with great achievements. Who needs change from that?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I believe that Geno is as happy as he can be, right here in Storrs. He has a beautiful home, friends and family. He is UCONN personified and loved by all. He has accomplished more than most coaches can dream of. He is totally set financially, and does not need the aggravation of Division I men's BB. And, he is not 40 0r 50 years old, with ambition drooling from his pores. In summary, I think he is a contented man with great achievements. Who needs change from that?

I certainly agree with this diagnosis. However, as Hans Gruber once ruminated:

Geno is WCBB's Alexander.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Maybe after he passes (and puts some distance between) Tara and Pat.
On second thought, nah.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Based on some of the comments I've seen posted here from Geno about recruiting or the way the culture surrounding the game has changed, he should steer clear of jumping to men's college hoops. I can't see him enjoying that, especially this late in his career.

Reaction Score
Why? Now if you were talking an NBA opening, I might be a little worried.
Nah! Geno has wealth, health, a job he loves, a place he loves and people who adore him for having that job. Silly to think he'd move to Men's game Pro or College--they are not as manageable as Women at least in the past. Geno ain't going nowhere notime noway.

Reaction Score
The only college basketball coaching job he would ever take is Duke men’s team.

Reaction Score
There was a recent job opening in L A on the women's side. The Sparks needed a head coach. I don't believe that Geno tossed his hat in the ring.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The one and done of the best college players would make that aspect of the job completely distasteful to Geno. No thanks.

I think the only coaching job Geno would seriously entertain is an NBA head coaching job. I think he has implied on several occasions, he would like the challenge of coaching and preparing to go against the best players in the world. However, I think that is not realistic so no worries.

Reaction Score
There was a recent job opening in L A on the women's side. The Sparks needed a head coach. I don't believe that Geno tossed his hat in the ring.
WNBA head coaching jobs are a demotion financially from the top college WBB jobs.

Reaction Score
Maybe after he passes (and puts some distance between) Tara and Pat.
On second thought, nah.
My personal thoughts, no facts, I don't eat at Geno's dinner table --just speculation: I think Geno wants to coach Uconn until 2 things happen: 1. He passes Pats record 2. He stops enjoying what he is doing. (the latter has precedence. )

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
My personal thoughts, no facts, I don't eat at Geno's dinner table --just speculation: I think Geno wants to coach Uconn until 2 things happen: 1. He passes Pats record 2. He stops enjoying what he is doing. (the latter has precedence. )
The point I was trying to make was that Tara could possibly break Pat's career win total before Geno does, especially if we are as bad next year and beyond as many BYers predict. It looks like the Cardinal could be pretty loaded for the next 4 seasons, starting next season - when compared to us (as of today).

Reaction Score

For selfish reasons I would have enjoyed that...doesn't Parker play for the Sparks? :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom