C: Emeka Okafor

UCONNSWAG11:
G: AJ Price
G: Rip Hamilton
F: Deandre Daniels
F: Clifford Robinson
C: Jake Voskuhl

Reaction Score
Pulling for Fich here. He has the God of UConn basketball on his squad, and his front court consists of a guy who will likely be the most talented player at UConn this decade, a guy who averaged 18/18, and Drummond. Denham Brown scored 100 Canada points once, too.

Reaction Score
I posted this last time, but will again here:

jfuchs91's Starting Lineup
Name (Height - UConn career season highs)

Ben Gordon (6’3” - 19.5 PPG, 4.7 APG, 4.7 RPG, 1.4 SPG 43% 3PT)

Ray Allen (6’5” - 23.4 PPG, 3.3 APG, 6.8 RPG, 1.9 SPG, 47% 3PT)

Scott Burrell (6’7” - 16.3 PPG, 7.5 RPG, 3.1 APG, 3.6 SPG, 1.3 BPG, 40% 3PT)

Charlie Villanueva (6’11” - 13.6 PPG, 8.3 RPG, 1.8 BPG, 1.3 APG 39% career 3PT)

Amida Brimah (7’ - 9.1 PPG, 3.5 BPG, 67.4% FG, highest single season and career FG% in UConn history)

As the game of basketball has evolved, two factors have become increasingly important to winning games: spacing the floor on offense and protecting the rim on defense. My team possesses some of the best shooters in UConn history (and Ray Allen, the best shooter in basketball history) and elite rim protection. This lineup is full of versatile athletes, and has NBA size (and all players played at least 8 NBA seasons - including three top-7 picks, showing they were truly elite basketball players - Brimah excluded, but the NBA is in his future as well).

OFFENSE
As UConn fans, we understand the importance of guard play in college ball, and no other team can match my tandem of guards. Gordon and Allen are two of the most explosive scorers to ever don a UConn jersey. While neither is a true "lead" guard, both Gordon and Allen can handle playmaking duties as combo guards. Gordon averaged over 4 APG in his UConn career, and Allen was so much more than a shooter in his younger days. Both guys were very good slashers and could make plays off the bounce. Additionally, both Gordon and Allen are end-of-shotclock guys, where they can bail you out by creating their own shot. My backcourt has two of the best scorers (and overall players) in UConn history, and they set the table for the rest of the team.

What sets my offense apart from others is the unbelievable shooters and spacing. I have four legitimate 3-point threats, including some of the best ever at UConn. Ray Allen is arguably the best shooter in basketball history, Ben Gordon shot 42% from three on 5.5 attempts per game in his career, Villanueva at the PF spot shot 39% in his career at UConn and is one of the most prolific big man shooters in the NBA right now, and Scotty Burrell shot 36% at UConn, 37% from 3 in 8 seasons in the NBA, and even participated in an NBA 3-Point contest. My team is loaded with lethal shooters at four positions. Look at what Golden State was able to do in the NBA with their plethora of knockdown shooters. My team mimics that spacing, and has some of the best shot-makers in UConn history (Gordon and Allen are my Husky Splash Bros). And while Brimah won’t be relied upon to create his own offense, his 66.2% FG% is the highest in UConn history. With all the spacing on the offensive end, Brimah can easily finish lobs and dunk dump-off passes. This team will be an efficient machine on the offensive end.

DEEFNSE
All UConn championship teams excel on the defensive end, and my team is a strong defensive unit. People ballyhoo about Brimah, but he’s an elite shot-blocker. We’ve been the top shot-blocking program over the years, and Brimah is a top 3 shotblocker of all the players we’ve had. He can’t rebound, but alters and blocks so many shots around the rim, and deters others from even driving into the lane. In that sense, he’s a true defensive anchor. Brimah’s rebounding deficiencies are made up for by the fact that I have three other players who averaged over 6 RPG in their UConn careers. Charlie V averaged 8.3 RPG, Burrell pulled down 7.5 RPG, and even Ray Ray grabbed 6.8 RPG in his sophomore campaign (he averaged 6 RPG over his 3 years). Brimah will be free to alter every shot, and the team won’t need to worry about rebounding. It's also worth noting that outside of Donyell, Charlie V is the best non-center shotblocker UConn has had (1.7 BPG career), and Burrell chipped in more than a block per game as well. My team defends the paint and rim as well as anyone.

My team is extremely athletic, further shown by all eligible players playing at least eight seasons in the NBA (all first round picks, including 3 of the 6 highest drafted Huskies of All-Time). Not only did my players dominate at UConn, their games all translated into long NBA careers. My team has height, length, mobility, and shot-blocking down low, combined with size and athleticism on the perimeter. Burrell is the best all-around athlete in UConn history and can use his physical tools to act as a true lockdown defender. He averaged as many as 3.6 SPG and 1.3 BPG in his career, and was a terror on the fast break. He could create turnovers and turn them into easy transition points. While Brimah anchors my defense at the rim, Burrell wreaks havoc on the wing. Allen and Gordon were also good perimeter defenders, combining their good size and athleticism with quick hands (as evidenced by their lofty steal totals).

SUMMARY
No team in this field is as versatile, athletic, or skilled offensively as the roster I put together. My team will be an offensive juggernaut with elite spacing and shooting, led by two of our most explosive scorers ever. My defense boasts excellent athleticism and length, and protects the rim at an elite level while also forcing a ton of turnovers. I can win in an up-tempo game, and also in the half court.

And, on top of all of that, if the game is close at the end, my team will come through in the clutch. Need a perfect last second inbounds pass? Scotty Burrell is your man. Need a guard to create his own shot in a clutch situation? Ray Ray and Madison Square Gordon have it covered. Or maybe you need someone to clean up a miss and get a clutch putback? Brimah gives you that and a sweet karate chop. My players are just simply winners; all have won a championship either at the NCAA or NBA level. An All-Time Husky Draft championship is next.

MATCHUP
I like the squad @HuskyFich put together, but let us keep two things in mind: 1) Toby Kimball was a tremendous rebounder for his time, but he played in the early 60s and stands at 6'6" tall. His rebounding edge would be diminished playing against modern players. 2) Other than Shabazz, Fich's modern-era players' highest single-season scoring outputs are D-Hams' 10.9 PPG, Brown's 10.7 PPG, and Drummond's 10 PPG.

Fich's squad is going to have a lot of trouble scoring the ball, and I don't really think he has the defenders to slow down my offense. I'll give his team the edge on the boards, but my team has better scorers (and more scoring options), better athletes, and superior defenders.

Reaction Score
Pulling for Fich here. He has the God of UConn basketball on his squad, and his front court consists of a guy who will likely be the most talented player at UConn this decade, a guy who averaged 18/18, and Drummond. Denham Brown scored 100 Canada points once, too.

I'm going with Fuchs and swag and it's not just because it's fun to say Fuchs and swag.

Fuchs doesn't have a pure point, and lets be honest Amida currently would get eaten alive even by a freshman Drummond. However putting BG, Ray, Burrell, CV, and Amida on the same team is just fuching ridiculous. Don't forget Amida runs like an oversize cheetah and this team would be flying around dunking on people and draining 3's all day long.

In the other matchup I think swag wins fairly easily.

Reaction Score
Also, not sure you can really change anything now, but for these second round matchups (and future matchups), perhaps we could leave the voting open longer than 6 hours. I think a 12-24 hour window may be more fitting, ensuring that more people are able to see/vote.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I can't write a novel like fuchs but...

AJ Price- 6'2 185. Senior lead guard who can run the half court offense or can push the temp to two great wings and two versatile and athletic bigs who can run the floor very well. Stats: 14.7 points, 4.7 assists, 3.5 rebounds, 1 steal, 40% fg and 3 pt, ft 70%

Rip Hamilton: 6-6 185. calhoun said rip could roll out of bed walk into the gym and score 20+. Second leading scorer in UCONN history. Great mid range game and three point shooting. Long athletic would matchup with, rip was a killer and wanted the ball. Too savvy. Stats 22 pts, 5 rb, 3 assists,44% fg, 35% 3fg, 84% FT.

Deandre Daniels: 6'9 195... can shoot a great three ball at a great percentage and has an inside back to the basket game. Long and runs the floor well while finishing at the rim. Daniels length would cause problems, outside shooting and speed would be able to go past him. Stats: 13 points, 6 rebounds, 1 steal, 47% fg, 42% 3fg, 79% ft.

Cliff Robinson: 6'10 225. big who can step out and shoot the ball or bang down low. Size and length to protect the rim and rebound the ball leading to a fast break. Stats: 20 pts, 8 Rebs,2 assists, 48% fg, 33% 3fg, 68% ft,1 block, 2 steals

Jake Voskhul:7' 245. 7 footer who is a great rim protector and has great size and weight to matchup with Emeka. Can also beat thabeet down the floor. Stats: 9 pts, 6 rbs, 1 assist, 57% fg, 69% ft, 2 blocks, 1 steal

This team is a veteran squad which can score and score in a hurry if need be. If boat or mouring gets by price or rip they has two basically athletic and mobile 7 footers waiting for him. Boat will struggle against prices size. Okafor will be a pain for Voskuhl but his size and weight on the defensive end will cause problems for okafor. My team can score buckets and also play great defense due to their size, IQ, athleticism, and experience.

Reaction Score
Swag probably has more talent than anybody, but I wonder whether his lineup is oversized. Hamilton was a college three and is playing the two, and Daniels was a college four and is playing the three. Is there enough ball-handling there, aside from AJ? Might be tougher to allow Hamilton to roam off the ball with only one ball-handler.

Jfuchs is similar - ton of talent, but there are some holes. Neither Ben nor Ray were ever best suited initiating the offense, and defensively, his team is going to have a tough time guarding the perimeter, even with Burrell. Gordon couldn't guard, even in college, and Allen's playing out of position.

There are some problems for him at center, too. Brimah is a fantastic rim runner and rim protector...but that's about all he is, and with no natural pick and roll partner, I wonder if some of those abilities are negated. I don't know if foul trouble is a thing we're considering, but it's worth noting that Brimah struggled to stay in the game against virtually all the top-tier big men he faced. How is he going to keep Drummond off the glass? Drummond eats people like Brimah.

Reaction Score
Swag probably has more talent than anybody, but I wonder whether his lineup is oversized. Hamilton was a college three and is playing the two, and Daniels was a college four and is playing the three. Is there enough ball-handling there, aside from AJ? Might be tougher to allow Hamilton to roam off the ball with only one ball-handler.

Jfuchs is similar - ton of talent, but there are some holes. Neither Ben nor Ray were ever best suited initiating the offense, and defensively, his team is going to have a tough time guarding the perimeter, even with Burrell. Gordon couldn't guard, even in college, and Allen's playing out of position.

There are some problems for him at center, too. Brimah is a fantastic rim runner and rim protector...but that's about all he is, and with no natural pick and roll partner, I wonder if some of those abilities are negated. I don't know if foul trouble is a thing we're considering, but it's worth noting that Brimah struggled to stay in the game against virtually all the top-tier big men he faced. How is he going to keep Drummond off the glass? Drummond eats people like Brimah.
With my last pick, I had to decide if I wanted a point guard like Kevin Ollie or Ricky Moore, or take a true center. Despite the fact that I already had Charlie V and Burrell - which would have been a viable frontcourt in its own right - I thought Amida's shot blocking prowess was too valuable to pass up.

While Brimah might only be a rim protector and rim runner, he's elite in those areas. In both of his college seasons, Amida has been in the top 5 in block% in the country; neither Thabeet nor Okafor ever ranked in the top 5. Brimah also possesses the highest field goal percentage in UConn history, both single-season and career. He has his weaknesses, but in the areas where he excels, there are few better.

Brimah's main weakness is on the glass, but Charlie (8.3 RPG), Burrell (7.5 RPG), and Allen (6.8 RPG) make up for it with their excellent rebounding. Brimah's elite shotblocking is also supplemented by Villanueva (1.8 BPG) and Burrell (1.3 BPG). Selecting Amida solidified my fearsome defensive unit. My backcourt isn't elite defensively, but my frontcourt helps clean up mistakes by making it difficult to score at the rim.

Also, I disagree that Ray and Gordon should be viewed as net-negatives defensively; both absolutely had the size and athleticism to defend the perimeter, and both had a knack for picking up steals. I know there's more to defense than that, but both were at least decent college defenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom